stills from 4K video

• Thread starter Deleted member 29014
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29014

Your recommendation: can I get better resolution stills if I clip them from 4K video than using the best resolution the P3P camera provides for stills??

Photos taken in RAW format will give you better quality after editing the photos in a program like Adobe Lightroom. If you're planning on using the photos as-is, then pulling stills from 4k video would be a good option.

Photos taken in RAW format will give you better quality after editing the photos in a program like Adobe Lightroom. If you're planning on using the photos as-is, then pulling stills from 4k video would be a good option.
Thank you very much.

Stills from the P3P are taken at 15Mp. Stills pulled from a 4k video are about 2MP. No matter what mode they are taken.. a still will produce a far better image.

They are the same. It's just that pulling a still from 4k video is like taking a 2mp Jpg instead of a 12mp raw DNG. If the exposure and color is perfect it will look fine- on screen, but pretty small for prints and about 1/4 the latitude for correction than a raw file has.
It's like taking a screen capture.

Yes... 12MP. Not sure if that was a typo of poor memory. Thanks for the correction.

A 12mp imagine by direct pixel conversion is about 22"x16.5"
A 2 mp image is about 3.5"x2.75"

They can be printed a little bigger with success. But you get the idea

Eh? Stills have 12MP i think and 4K is like 8MP. With Full HD you get 2MP stills
If you do the math, perhaps its a little higher. But that doesn't directly relate to picture quality because of compression. At the end of the day though, it changes nothing. The still image is far superior.

If you do the math, perhaps its a little higher. But that doesn't directly relate to picture quality because of compression. At the end of the day though, it changes nothing. The still image is far superior.
yes but the amount of MP for a 4K video is 8,4MP i think when you do the math. So its not that far away from 12MP but the still should be better, most of the time 4K stills are enough. Stills have of course teh advantage of choosing the situation

Yip Steve you have it right. Its just the compression that makes the stills from 4k video look worse. The 16x9 ratio video is shot in means it wont be a full 12MP as a 4x3 ratio still is but it wont be much smaller than 12MP

Yip Steve you have it right. Its just the compression that makes the stills from 4k video look worse. The 16x9 ratio video is shot in means it wont be a full 12MP as a 4x3 ratio still is but it wont be much smaller than 12MP
When taking a 16x9 photo is it just a cropped 4:3 photo resulting in a Low quality image (is this even possible)?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
When taking a 16x9 photo is it just a cropped 4:3 photo resulting in a Low quality image (is this even possible)?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yes, a 16x9 photo on this camera is a crop of the 4:3 image.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20