Stills framing on iPhone

Reaction score
Folks

Just noticed this last night. I have a pal who is an estate agent (USA = Realtor?). Very occasionally, when he has a very special property coming on his books he gets me to take some aerial pics for the brochures. No charge, the old pals' act.

He came with me last night and we were framing up the shots, getting up to the right height to get all the property within the shot and all looked good. Shooting in RAW, file size set to large, all other settings automatic. Lovely clear evening.

When I got home and loaded up the DNG images into Lightroom, the pics were taken from way to high an altitude. Now it's not a problem because we can crop them, but has anyone else discovered this? I know when video size is reset, the actual through the lens view is what is captured. Any solutions or do we just have to live with it?

Thanks in advance.

What you see is what you get. Just need to really look at what the camera sees & move closer. Tredancy to have tunnel vision & concentrate on the middle of the screen. Common fault of most stills photographers. Look at the total frame to compose.

Depends on the wide or narrow FOV. Stills will always be wide and fish eye with the phantom arms exposed.

the video setting has to be set at wide FOV, then you will get the real shot.. whatever your video settings, the photo will still take with a Wide FOV

There are actually 3 different photo sizes available with different aspect ratios: 16:9, 3:2, and 4:3. Small Medium and Large respectively. I am guessing (because I haven't tried it), that Small (16:9) will most closely resemble what you see on the screen when the video is set to wide FOV.

Alib said:
the video setting has to be set at wide FOV, then you will get the real shot.. whatever your video settings, the photo will still take with a Wide FOV

THIS is exactly the tip I was searching for! Thanks! I am a beginner (only 7 flights until now (or 14...2 batteries :D ) and noticed that sometimes the stills are framed different from what I saw. It is all clear to me now. Thanks!

happydays said:
Folks

Just noticed this last night. I have a pal who is an estate agent (USA = Realtor?). Very occasionally, when he has a very special property coming on his books he gets me to take some aerial pics for the brochures. No charge, the old pals' act.

He came with me last night and we were framing up the shots, getting up to the right height to get all the property within the shot and all looked good. Shooting in RAW, file size set to large, all other settings automatic. Lovely clear evening.

When I got home and loaded up the DNG images into Lightroom, the pics were taken from way to high an altitude. Now it's not a problem because we can crop them, but has anyone else discovered this? I know when video size is reset, the actual through the lens view is what is captured. Any solutions or do we just have to live with it?

Thanks in advance.
I'll have to check this out (I have some stills take in the middle of some video). In the meantime, since you're translating, "old pals' act" (USA = good ole boys) if I understand correctly. :)

slothead said:
happydays said:
Folks

Thanks in advance.
I'll have to check this out (I have some stills take in the middle of some video). In the meantime, since you're translating, "old pals' act" (USA = good ole boys) if I understand correctly. :)

We need a sticky on translations.

UK USA
Boot Trunk
Bonnet Hood
Old Pals' Act Good Ole Boys
Rubbish Garbage
Quite a few Bunch
Tomato Tomato

:D :lol: :mrgreen:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads