Still waiting on flytrex!!!

It doesn't track/log battery voltage or flight mode status.

The lack of battery tracking in particular is very frustrating.
It records a lot more data than just location and includes a social element (if you're into that kind of thing).

Do any of the 2G/3G GPS trackers allow you to watch the flight in real-time on a map via a webpage or on an app? If so, which one(s)? (Asking for a friend who might go that route instead of Flytrex.)

In fact, at the moment, it ONLY records location (granted, three dimensional location).

Off the top of my head I do not, however I do know there are a variety of products that do offer the "real-time overlay on Google Maps" style tracking.

In fact, at the moment, it ONLY records location (granted, three dimensional location).

I have seen no one reporting that it only records location.
So you're saying that it records none of the dozen+ data fields except the location fields?

Now I'm eager/anxious to get it up into the air so I can either curse or breath a sigh of relief.

I have seen no one reporting that it only records location.
So you're saying that it records none of the dozen+ data fields except the location fields?

Now I'm eager/anxious to get it up into the air so I can either curse or breath a sigh of relief.

It records the following fields:
latitude longitude altitude(feet) ascent(feet) speed(mph) distance(feet) max_altitude(feet) max_ascent(feet) max_speed(mph) max_distance(feet) time(millisecond) datetime(utc) datetime(local) satellites pressure(Pa) temperature(F)

However... all the "max" fields are simply re-formatting existing data. I could generate those fields from only the raw data, as it's just a running max count.
Time... is well, time, and other than use as an index to the data, is not a "logged value".
Distance can be calculated as well, again, from location.
Satellites is an actual measure, as are pressure and temperature.

~~~

So, assuming you collect a 3D GPS fix, you have what you need to calculate (not extrapolate, but calculate) all of the "recorded data", except satellite count, pressure, and temperature.

Seeing as temperature *could* be defined as a function of altitude and the ground temperature, that's not all that helpful either.
Pressure is, literally, a function of altitude, so again, no useful data at all, hence why Flytrex doesn't even render/display it on their site.

Satellite count is helpful, but only as a "check field" that nothing has massively deviated from the norm. During regular usage, this provides no useful data at all.

~~~

So basically... the only data it's collecting is location (aka, 3D GPS fix) and temperature, and every other column is a reformatting/rehashing of that original data.

Honestly, I'm not ever sure it's actually properly talking to the P3 CAN bus, it might just be decoding NMEA messages from the GPS module, and that's it.

Possibly also why Flytrex is so hesitant to give an ETA on getting additional data in.
Decoding a NMEA message is a far cry from fulling speaking/listening/understanding a complex bus.

~~~

Long story short, it's only recording location, temperature (which is pretty useless), and sat count (which is useless, except in exceptional failing circumstances).

So of the dozens of data-point dimensions the flight controller is recording, we get very little.

That's the same issue they had with the original Live 3G model. Took them a month or two to fix it.
Mine is mounted and ready to go and has passed a static test. I plan to perform a test flight next week. Hopefully, the issues have been ironed out or will be ironed out soon.

Not in my recollection.
I ordered my Flytrex about a week after the "CAN bus" adapter was made available and it recorded voltage and flight mode the very first time I used it.

Previous installations that "hijacked" the GPS connector did not have flight mode data, but how could they? There was no data to read.

~~~

Also, this whole issue is particularly frustrating as I contacted support prior to purchasing, and specifically asked about flight mode and voltage, and was told, in writing, that it would be available in the 3G Plus.

So, I was lied to, had my money taken about 6 months before I received my product, and now, have no definite ETA on when the product will actually do what is was described to do.

Perhaps you can see my frustration?

All the while, Flytrex continues to advertise/sell the 3G plus without informing consumers.
Just like how they are shipping two variants of the Flytrex (USA bands vs European bands) without telling anyone that each model is really only dual-band.

Long story short... whether or not they fix this current product in a timely manner, they've lost my business for the future.
Not because of the quality of their product, but because of their attitude towards their customers.

Honestly.... I almost wouldn't bother.

The Flytrex 3G plus is still not fully compatible with the P3. And even though it's been out for months, support indicates it may be many more months before the issues are resolved.

While Flytrex used to be my "go to" recommendation for a flight tracker, given the track record thus far, I'd look at different solutions.
Indeed - I am very disappointed. It all takes months, there are still bugs, sometimes it just doesn't work... And I was a big fanboy of Flytrex. Still am, but it is so disappointing. Bad support as well.
And there is another fact: Flytrex uses GPS from bird. If bird has no or wrong GPS, Flytrex is as well wrong. RF-V16 with data card and 10s updates is a good alternative with a good app. But of course no temperature, altitude etc. I really want the Flytrex to be better!

Just like how they are shipping two variants of the Flytrex (USA bands vs European bands) without telling anyone that each model is really only dual-band.
Really, didn't know that! How to find out?

Indeed - I am very disappointed. It all takes months, there are still bugs, sometimes it just doesn't work... And I was a big fanboy of Flytrex. Still am, but it is so disappointing. Bad support as well.
And there is another fact: Flytrex uses GPS from bird. If bird has no or wrong GPS, Flytrex is as well wrong. RF-V16 with data card and 10s updates is a good alternative with a good app. But of course no temperature, altitude etc. I really want the Flytrex to be better!

I think what it also could be, for me at least, is that the Flytrex *could* be such a killer product.

Imagine if your controller and/or Litchi-style flight control app could roam from local 2.4 GHz to 3G (or even LTE)? The hardware is physically right there but the integration is so lacking.

My suspicion is that Flytrex is trying to push their own brand (Flytrex Sky) rather than focusing on existing integration possibilities (Phantom 2/3).

What they apparently don't realize is that quite a few existing P3 owners would pay bug bucks for two-way 3G control/telemetry communication.

If they would just get on their game...

Shammyh: they have too many products - and really I never saw anyone using a Flytrex quad. They should promote and develop that what they're good at, and well known for: their trackers!

Long story short, it's only recording location, temperature (which is pretty useless), and sat count (which is useless, except in exceptional failing circumstances).

So of the dozens of data-point dimensions the flight controller is recording, we get very little.

Thanks for the explanation.

Yeah, I finally got to test mine and all that you said above is still true, unfortunately.

Based on all the negative feedback I've seen about Flytrex I would never even consider wasting any money on their product, and quite frankly am surprised that anybody would; seems to be a pretty dumb thing to do given their obvious lack of professionalism and customer service. They need to be put out of business by not purchasing their product, then they might 'get it''.

It's really too bad. The 3G Live was a really impressive, revolutionary, product once it made it to the consumer. I'm actually pretty shocked Amit and crew would drop the ball on this considering the direction the consumer uav industry is headed, and the holidays coming up...

Reactions: Brent10
It's really too bad. The 3G Live was a really impressive, revolutionary, product once it made it to the consumer. I'm actually pretty shocked Amit and crew would drop the ball on this considering the direction the consumer uav industry is headed, and the holidays coming up...

My thoughts exactly.

2 firmware revisions later and it still doesn't record all the data it's supposed to. And of course, still no mention of this anywhere on their site.

I have a suspicion financial and/or other issues are being dealt with behind closed doors... Really is a shame too, cause there is a lot of money to be made marrying a P3 to the 3G network, especially if done well.

I finally received mine the other day and installed. The installation was pretty simple although I was glad to have a couple of nice pairs of tweezers and you need a Torx T8 if you're using the Flytrex mount. Did a couple of test flights and it worked fine. I was "watching" on one tablet while flying with the other.

In the US I am using an h2Owireless SIM I ordered for free on Amazon. With auto-recharge enabled it costs $3/mo ($9 for 100MB which expires in 90 days).

Does the auto-recharge recharge every month or every 3 months?

-Scott

Purchasing a product because it's a great product, when the company provides **** service, just contributes to them continuing to provide **** service. They'll never see a dime from me.

I'm thinking about buying the Flytrex Live Plus for my Phantom 3 Pro. Does it work as specified??

I'm thinking about buying the Flytrex Live Plus for my Phantom 3 Pro. Does it work as specified??

Apparently you have not read any Flytrex threads, including this one.

I read from a different website that the owner became addicted to drugs and allowed his business to tumble. It's a shame as I use to be really big on Flytrex back in the day. I have the Flytrex Live Plus(FLP). I got it when they 1st came out. I installed it and configured the phone card part and all went well. But after downloading data from the flight logger, the device was not programmed correctly making the data no good. I tried getting some kind of response from Flytrex Support but after 3 weeks of nothing I gave up and removed every piece of Flytrex product from my Aircraft. It has been sitting here next to me which I look at it every day as a reminder how I was jacked out of A LOT of money.

If you were someone that had ridden the Flytrex train from 2014-2015 you had to have spent several hundred dollars. Flytrex never designed any of their devices to co-exist. You always had to start all over each time due different harnesses, or the way a device communicated with your hardware, ect. They offered some discount but you still ended up with an expense plus your old devices that were now useless to you.

My opinion of Flytrex now is.... Somebody responsible needs to buy that company. Then 1st improve the quality of all devices currently still on the market. Like wires, plugs, and connectors. Flytrex was always very weak in that area. Next bring everything up to date, the products, the apps, the website. Then create a decent "How-To" area for everything just mentioned. At this point there would likely be no to very little support needed. This would then be a great income for someone because the FLP alone would be on most all P3's and Inspire's out there as it has a lot to offer.

Thanks for the info. How much a month does the RF-V16 with data card cost?

Yeah flytrex customer service is non-existent and that's a shame - because the device is amazing. I can't imagine flying without it. I've been using it since December last year on every flight and it's worked like a charm without a single hiccup. I can fly my AC and track it on the flight app and the flytrex app - on two mobile devices at the same time - live as it happens. It's just too cool.

I was talking with the OP a few days ago and we both agreed that if we bought a new craft and needed flytrex, we'd buy the device anyway, regardless of the fact that if we have a problem, we'd likely not be helped. The device is just too cool not to buy and use. It's worth the risk, we both agreed.

My assumption is that flytrex has never been profitable due to the fact that the core of their business plan was to potentially deliver packages, and the laws in modern countries haven't caught up with flytrex technology. Hence, with no money, they can't afford to hire people to give customer support on these trackers.

Meanwhile, the newest flytrex birds are apparently delivering packages in some city in the Ukraine somewhere, and I think all flytrex's energy and time is going into that, and they are ignoring their Live 3G customers.

If I was going to buy a tracker from flytrex, I'd use my credit card, of course, so I'd have a way to get reimbursed if there is a problem.

To answer Scott's question above from nine months ago, the h2owireless sim card is a 90 day deal. So after 90 days, you must recharge it. Ten dollars for 90 days.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj