Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. Sky Pirate

Is there any references or videos to assist in getting the best settings for 'still' shots from the camera on the P4 please?

2. WilsonFlyer

I'm not sure I understand the question. What exactly are you asking? All the rules that apply to general photography apply to the camera on the P4. It's essentially a fairly low-end consumer point and shoot with some limited manual settings.

3. Randy-n-Texas

Hello Sky Pirate, the Internet provides many sources of course but I can't give a specific reference. I have found a people on YouTube that I have gotten good information from. The Art of Photography (Ted Forbes YouTube channel) has a good video on Phantom 3 camera settings which you should find useful, as I understand the P4 and P3 pro have the same camera. I may be incorrect in that and believe me, if I am someone will definitely let it be known. Also, Drone U's channel has good information as well. Search YouTube, you will find plenty of people offering photo tips.

4. Kman

Basically, with still shots I shoot in auto mode and take the photos in RAW (dng). I edit in Adobe Lightroom. Your best bet is to watch some Lightroom tutorials on YouTube.

Here is some of my work:
    Keith (@keithkman) • Instagram photos and videos

nickyb likes this.
  5. WilsonFlyer

I gotta be honest here. I'm a BIG-time photography buff. Have been all my life. I understand exposure. Well.

But when it comes to shooting and the TYPES of shots generally taken with flying cameras, "Auto" is the rule rather than the exception.Get a good set of ND filters and set it on Auto and let it fly (For STILL photography. Video is an entirely different animal but this thread is not about video.). 90-95% of the time, you're going to get near perfect shots.

Just the nature of the type of camera and the types of shots it's made for. Nothing particularly complex about either one so Auto works well.

6. dudemang

Now following.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

7. WilsonFlyer

Then you should do some Googling and YouTubing. Seriously.

8. WilsonFlyer

Going to BB and buying a multi is not going to make you Ansel Adams.

9. dudemang

Ok, not following you. Are you saying his stuff sucks?

10. Sky Pirate

Well thanks for the info everyone, I had a look at some of 'Kman's' work as prompted above, it looks great (thanks for that too). I should be able to learn a bit from your directions, most helpful.

PS. Who is Ansel Adams, any connection with 'Grisley Adams'? I remember him (sort of).

11. phlyer

What is the best way to extract a still from the video. If I use screen capture I lose a lot of the definition. I have a MACPro. Any help appreciated.

12. jwt873

What video editing program are you using? Most have a frame grab function.

13. Paul Richards

Home - Ansel Adams Gallery Check the link. He was great believer in Post Production on Film

nickyb likes this.
  14. dudemang

I am sure there are more options out there but I recently wrote a little java program that will extract frames without losing any clarity. If you could send me a clip of the video that you need frames from, I can send back to you the frames.

15. Grae

Hello!

Why would you use ND filters for stills? I get why you would for video, to reduce jello.

16. Paul Richards

Same rules apply just like polarising filters on still cameras Exposure is made up of Aperture how much light is let through, Shutter speed how long you let the light through for and ISO Filters change that. With stills a polarising filter can take up to 2 stops so F2.8 becomes F5.6 by doing this you will need longer shutter time to balance the exposure.
    In still photography we have Depth of Field, depending on the aperture setting, the DoF changes, Its up to the photographer which they choose depending on the subject and what they are trying to achieve.

17. phlyer

Thank you for your help. A typical example is

18. phlyer

I mostly use Quicktime 4 as it is so simple to use. Any advice appreciated.

19. nhoover

Just curious - when would you want to use an ND filter for still photography from a Phantom? I certainly use them for video to reduce shutter speed to eliminate jello, but I haven't seen a case where I need one for stills. For stills I want as much light as possible giving as fast a shutter speed as possible.

20. WilsonFlyer

It depends on the effect you are trying to obtain and if you don't understand that, it's fine, but that's for a photography forum and probably not here. It is beyond the scope of this course.

Happy shooting! :)

deltalimatango likes this.