Still from a Video???

Reaction score
Folks... im just curious.. I see a ton of great stills from videos you guys and gals post. Is there a specific program or app that you use to do that effectively? Im thinking snipping tool is not my best option.
thanks

I think to get any reasonable quality you should be taking stills on their own, not from a video

Good stills can be captured through VLC player. I use it from time to time, in fact, I just used VLC to copy a still from a fireworks video I shot for the local newspaper about an hour ago.

Good stills can be captured through VLC player. I use it from time to time, in fact, I just used VLC to copy a still from a fireworks video I shot for the local newspaper about an hour ago.

But you miss out on so many nice features, like HDR mode or long exposure!

In the same line of question... is there a free program to convert/process the video down from 4k to 1080?

While I agree you are best of with a DNG from the camera, Photoshop will let you grab a still of any frame. The nice thing about that, you are are capturing 30 frames per second, so you have lots of frames to choose from. You may not be satisfied with the quality if you are going for a large print, but for social media posting, they will be more than acceptable.

Reactions: SitkaGrover
But you miss out on so many nice features, like HDR mode or long exposure!
I believe the question was how to obtain stills from video, not whether we should always get stills from video. For me, I shoot stills in DNG format when my intent is to still-photograph a specific subject. The stills from video, in my case, were used to promote the video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31