Still can't update to 1.4 on P3P

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is driving me nuts! I took a week off from trying to update to 1.4 and now i'm back to it with the same result - failure.
Is there anyone at all who has had this 'solid red gimbal light and constant beep' and solved it?

Many thanks!

Hi all,

This is driving me nuts! I took a week off from trying to update to 1.4 and now i'm back to it with the same result - failure.
Is there anyone at all who has had this 'solid red gimbal light and constant beep' and solved it?

Many thanks!
You probably are missing a step somewhere-- post up exactly how you are trying to accomplish the update. It is step specific and if you miss one minute detail, it wont be successful.

Hi Bob,

I've updated twice before to previous firmware with no problems so I'm not sure where i'm going wrong.

1. Start with clean SD (I have tried 3, Class10 cards) formatted exFAT.
2. Insert SD into drone and format within the DJI Go app.
3. Insert SD into laptop (I have tried USB2 and USB3) and unzip firmware(bin file only) to the root of the card.
*Note: I have unzipped direct to root of SD card, Dragged and Dropped to root, copy and pasted to root, cut and paste to root...
4. Insert SD back into drone and fire her up.
*Note: Only the drone is on. Controller and device are off.

From here, the beeps and lights do their thing which seems consistent with every other update I have performed. Then, maybe 7 minutes in, the dreaded scream and solid red gimbal light occurs.

Looking at the log file, it seems that it's not detecting the camera. However, I can roll back the firmware to 1.3.2 successfully...although that can take a couple of tries.

I have also checked the physical connections which look fine.

Cheers!

Hi Bob,

I've updated twice before to previous firmware with no problems so I'm not sure where i'm going wrong.

1. Start with clean SD (I have tried 3, Class10 cards) formatted exFAT.
2. Insert SD into drone and format within the DJI Go app.
3. Insert SD into laptop (I have tried USB2 and USB3) and unzip firmware(bin file only) to the root of the card.
*Note: I have unzipped direct to root of SD card, Dragged and Dropped to root, copy and pasted to root, cut and paste to root...
4. Insert SD back into drone and fire her up.
*Note: Only the drone is on. Controller and device are off.

From here, the beeps and lights do their thing which seems consistent with every other update I have performed. Then, maybe 7 minutes in, the dreaded scream and solid red gimbal light occurs.

Looking at the log file, it seems that it's not detecting the camera. However, I can roll back the firmware to 1.3.2 successfully...although that can take a couple of tries.

I have also checked the physical connections which look fine.

Cheers!
Does the gimbal mount led blink red and green and then when it fails it turns solid red? If looks like you are doing everything as required.......

Try this one time... it may or may not work... put a small table fan blowing directly on the Phantom where the gimbal plate mount is receiving plenty of air flow. The will keep the board and circuits where the SD Card is cool during the update. That mount will heat up significantly during periods that the Phantom is on and sitting with no airflow. I did that with my upgrades after I noticed how hot the plate was when it was on without any air flow,

If that doesn't work-- then you may have a hardware issue with the card reader.

It turns solid red...and squeals!

I have just rolled back to 1.3.2 successfully again - to me that doesn't make sense. I will pick up a table fan and try and get some airflow going! I'll report back.

Thank you very much Bob :)

Reactions: bobmyers
Hi all,

Many thanks!
This may be like what happened to me on my first upgrade a while back. DJI support told me to let it scream (I'm assuming you mean a constant beep). I did that and it took another 10 minutes or so to quit screaming, and then some more time to finish the update. I put it in a closet while it was screaming.

Hi Bud,

I've also done that too. I left it for over 50 minutes screaming/ constant beeping.
Heres a video of it (imagine 7 minutes before this, it was updating normally):
Dropbox - 20150912_1118591.mp4

I should also add DJI have not got back to me about this...I contacted them over a week ago. :(

Hi Bud,

I've also done that too. I left it for over 50 minutes screaming/ constant beeping.
Heres a video of it (imagine 7 minutes before this, it was updating normally):
Dropbox - 20150912_1118591.mp4

I should also add DJI have not got back to me about this...I contacted them over a week ago. :(
Looks like what was happening to me but it quit screaming after 10 minutes (20 at the most). I was using a chat session with DJI support. Seems like the chat "latency" was about 20 or 30 minutes but I was able to make progress. Good luck.

Bud, can I just ask, was your gimbal light solid red as it made the noise?
I believe it was solid red.
I got into this state because I was a newbie. After starting the update the gimbal was making a noise I didn't think was normal. Why would the gimbal be making noise while doing an update? Anyway, I freaked and aborted the update. Yikes, wrong move. That's when it started with the constant beep.

Thanks guys!

Ok, my plan is to try again with a fan on the gimbal and let it squeal...

I sound like David Cameron :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20