STICKY: NEW SPREADSHEET FOR PHANTOM OWNERS

Reaction score
Mod please sticky this compilation to the top of the forum.

After reading hundreds of posts about the P1-P2 and P2V, I am seeing a pattern of rapidly failing birds for a variety of reasons and within a short period of time after purchase. With that being said, I would like to compile a database of sorts for everyone on this forum that will in brief show what problems owners are experiencing during the first 2-4 months of ownership. Please follow the survey guidelines carefully.

I will re-post the spreadsheet in an attachment on Sunday each week from the posts entered during that week. This should help newbies and veteran pilots of Phantom 1, 2's, and the Phantom 2 Vision's realize what problems are happening, the frequency and how soon after purchase they may experience an issue. This can be very helpful for every Phantom owner. This also is just for stock Phantoms that have not been modified.

Guidelines: Please do not go into lengthy explanations of how your issue happened. We just need to know what the end result was. Please keep it to the following as the symptoms will not be listed in the spreadsheet, only the end result of what happened or learned was the problem. I have listed some examples to the right of each numbered item for illustration purposes.

1. How many days till first problem started 17
2. Wifi malfunction yes/no
3. Camera malfunction yes/no
4. Bad motor yes/no
5. Fell from sky yes/no
6. GPS malfunction yes/no
7. Compass malfunction yes/no
8. Flyaway yes/no
9. Attitude problem yes/no
10. Number of problems 3
11. Wiring issues yes/no
12. RTH issues yes/no
13. Under warranty yes/no
14. Out of warranty yes/no
15. Firmware issues yes/no
16. App issues yes/no
17. Dealer issues yes/no
18. Bad out of the box yes/no
19. Number of days till 2nd problem started 28
20. Number of times quad was repaired 3
21. Number of days owned 43
22. Have not experienced any issues 0
23. Number of flights 12
24. Hours logged 6.5

When you reply, please list the item number that pertains to your issue and a short answer. If your answer is unclear, it will not be posted in the spreadsheet.

If there is another category not listed above you feel should be, let me know and I will add it. As time goes on, this list will indicate where the most problems are for Phantom owners. Let me know your feedback and suggestions. Each week I will attach the spreadsheet in this sticky so you don't have to scan through all the posts looking for it.

Thanks, happy flying.

Qwadjok

In the past I have created a spreadsheet in Google Drive and then created a Form which users could fill in and it would automatically put the info in the spreadsheet without any intervention (work) from me. Might be something to consider to make it easier for you.

ZonComGMZ said:
In the past I have created a spreadsheet in Google Drive and then created a Form which users could fill in and it would automatically put the info in the spreadsheet without any intervention (work) from me. Might be something to consider to make it easier for you.

That is definitely the way to do it...

Good intentions, bad execution, I am sorry to say.

Nobody is going to fill this out, although it would be nice to find a more efficient way to collect this data. Starting in Google Docs as suggested above would be my first thought.

Keep reworking this. It is based on an honerable idea. Good luck.

There's lots of free survey software available. Set it up as a survey, and just post the link. The software will also compile the results or send into excel where you can set up pivot tables and look for correlations.

Great ideas everyone. Send me a link to a survey form and I will get on it. As for enough stickies. I see three. And for those Phantom Pilots that are experiencing issues, this may be a very useful tool for them. Setting up an automated form is a great idea.

QJ

Not sure if anyone is interested in this, but here's a sample spreadsheet for Vision crashes.
Can be seen and edited by anyone using this link.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Sadly I am the first person on it, since I couldn't contain my patience and flew my Vision over the Brisbane River without any floats.

'If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.'
Mario Andretti

El Rey said:
Not sure if anyone is interested in this, but here's a sample spreadsheet for Vision crashes.

Sadly I am the first person on it, since I couldn't contain my patience and flew my Vision over the Brisbane River without any floats.

Mario Andretti
Sorry to read that report - you must have been gutted to see it sink. I notice you think it was caused by the vortex ring state - where you descending at the time or flying level ?

pault said:
El Rey said:

Mario Andretti
Sorry to read that report - you must have been gutted to see it sink. I notice you think it was caused by the vortex ring state - where you descending at the time or flying level ?

I was flying pretty much level but it was moving around as it headed into the wind.

With my complete lack of knowledge about aeronautics, I'm supposing that the strong headwind that created the instability also pushed the Vision's downward thrust back at it while it was in a slightly tilted position.

That may be complete bollocks, but I'm convinced it is something to do with the particular wind conditions at that time and place, because I've flown the Vision fine in all kinds of conditions previously over land, including wind and even light rain - without dramas. It's too much of a coincidence that the first time I fly over water it decides to go rogue.
I was next to cliffs too, and on a bend of the river. It may be that place acts like a highway or funnel.

A pity it was so low at the time it happened, and there was no time to try more things to bring it out of the oscillations and descent.

Yes, I saw that cliff in the Google maps link on the spreadsheet. You are probably right (imo) that the gusty wind played a key part in your disaster. As you say, just blxxdy typical it happened when you were flying over water.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers