Sticky motor, any advice?

Reaction score
One of the motors on my Phantom is sticky. When I spin it by hand, occasionally it will catch and the rotation will stop.
I pulled that arm apart yesterday and did my best to clean out the motor, but it seems like there's something more to it than some dust lodged in there. I also took it out to fly yesterday and I can hear that motor catching. Any advice?
Is changing out the motors tough? Thanks.

brskier, I had a similar problem with one of my Phantom motors, and decided to replace them, but meanwhile I ordered
a bearing kit from Boca Bearings, and an upgrade retaining clip and spacer from eBay.
after replacing the bearings, the motor displayed the same symptom, so I disassembled it again, and found that the windings
on some of the armatures are loose,and broken.
This allows them to go out past the armature under rotational force, at which time they
bind between the armature and the bell housing.
You can try sealing them, with fingernail polish, and see if that helps. It was too late for my motor, as the wire had broken.

But I may try it on my other motors.

Also check to make sure one or more of the magnets have not come loose it will happen every once in awhile usually from impact

i had one motor on my phantom that would spool up slower and down faster, i replaced the bearing with new ones and when i had the motors apart there was some kinda of blue gunk glue on the magnets, looked like locktight or some kinda blue glue, i carefully cleaned it off reasembled the motors now the all spool up and down the same and its quieter too. :D

Took apart my motors to replace bearings and saw the blue glue on the magnets as well.

How did you clean that up?

My advice is to just change the motor. If you stay with the stock motors, they are fairly cheap and easy to change out. You just neeed to be confident in your soldering skills. Just do a YouTube seach for "Replacing Motors DJI Phantom" and you'll get tons of video regarding that subject. Easy stuff!

You might have metal stuck to the magnet...

From a post I just made in the general discussion forum:

I had just finished installing the new 9" props and thought I'd check all the Allen screws on the bottom of the Phantom.

Once I finished, I happened to spin on of the props and noticed it wouldn't spin well. It was making a metal on metal sound. I thought at first that I had overtightened a screw to the point that it was making contact. So I loosened and finally removed the 4 allen screws holding the motor down. Then I noticed a tiny, tiny piece of a metal shaving that the motor's magnet had grabbed.

As the motor spun, the metal shaving would get stuck and cause the motor to stop spinning.

To fix, I removed the c clip on the bottom of the motor and lifted the housing off and removed the shaving.

The moral of the story is, don't go down to your dirty shop table and work on your Phantom without cleaning up first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.