Stick down = Engine Cut Off?

Reaction score
Just started to get the problem where i pull down the left stick, it locks (as they all do), but then it kills the motors... ??

I usually put that stick into the lock position when i want the phantom to descend. So why is it doing this now?

(Phantom 3 Standard - ARGtek Antenna)

Suggestions welcomed :)

Thanks,
Gary

When exactly is it killing the motors?

Once in flight, i pull the left stick down, then about 3 ish seconds it cuts the motors

EDIT: I had my girlfriend holding it when i tried it. Before anyone wonders how :)

That is not normal. The motors should only shut down after your Phantom has landed.

Please upload one of your TXT flight logs here and post a link back here. Perhaps the log data will help explain what happened.

Could it be something to do with how many satellites are connected? Like a failsafe option?

Just say that as i first noticed it when it was inside my home, kept on saying "Safe to Fly (Non-GPS)", which is when i took it outside and tried it.

Once outside it only connected to 6-8 satellites at head level, but once in the air flying, like 20 meters up, it had around 12 satellites, but obviously i couldn't test it then! :/

Could it be something to do with how many satellites are connected? Like a failsafe option
No.

So, you flew it 20 meters up, held the left stick down, the motors shut off, and your Phantom crashed to the ground?

How did you test it then?

Ah, I missed the edit above....

The motors are shutting off because your Phantom thinks it has landed (since it's no longer descending). It does not matter how high off the ground the Phantom is at the time.

Ah, I missed the edit above....

The motors are shutting off because your Phantom thinks it has landed (since it's no longer descending). It does not matter how high off the ground the Phantom is at the time.
wow cant believe I caught that before you

Reactions: konidair
wow cant believe I caught that before you
Haha, well, I don't randomly scroll up a few comments to see if people add new nuggets of gold to the end of them ;)

Reactions: konidair
haha! Sorry guys.

So, the lovely part of this... in order to prove you guys correct, id have to lock the stick in, when decending? And if you're wrong, i loose my phantom... oh, the joy! lol!

Gaz

That's what you'd have to do to convince yourself ;)

There is no chance it'll happen mid-flight.

Reactions: flpholt
That's what you'd have to do to convince yourself ;)

There is no chance it'll happen mid-flight.

hahaha! Brilliant!! lol

I am reading this forum post at the mo, which seems to confirm what you guys are saying (Killing motors in mid-flight ??). And i know how curious i get about stupid little things like this, so i will be trying it! :/

Thanks again guys, really appreciate your help, and how quick it was :)

No problem. I'm glad we could help :)

i'm just going to add the technical portion here.
IMU inside the phantom has a gyroscope in it which "knows"
how the bird is moving (left, right, forward, back, up, down).
if you are in the air and it is changing the altitude the computer inside
won't allow for motors to stop.
the ONLY way you will be able to shot down the motors while in the air
is perform a CSC while flying and those are the stories you read about
birds just shutting down and falling from the sky. people do the CSC by accident
while flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj