Steel structures

Reaction score
Hi guys

Totally new to the drone flying thing but just bought a DJI Phantom 1.1.1 - The reason for this was primarily to fly it off a ship as im embarking one of Maersk Lines new Triple-E container ships and really wanted some nice aerials shots with my GoPro cam but then I read the manual and the 'avoid to fly near large steel structures' advice made me chuckle a bit because, well yeah you know!

But hope to get some advice from some of the more experienced aviators. Ive heard rumors that I wont even be able to get the engines running onboard (I guess because the calibration wont succeed) but is that correct? And if not, will it be impossible to fly if I get it airborne?

Brgds

I have to say, I would be so tempted to try it anyhow. Surely there must be something non metallic you could take off from.

I flew near a very old water tower this weekend and mine was a little erratic. I brought it back, calibrated the compass and it seemed to work OK after that. Perhaps a coincidence.

Maybe you could test it out before leaving.

Thank you for your reply tmartin62!

There is unfortunately no place what so ever to take off from on those ships that are not made of steel. And it is just as much the flying that makes me worried. If yours started wobbling because of a water tower (if not a coincidence) I dont think 100.000+ tonnes of steel in the middle of the ocean will be any better. But as you say, I am very tempted to try anyhow. =o) Ill try and test fly as much as possible on land before bringing it to sea.

Brgs

Ok ok ok ok...I got one for ha.... I fly mine from back of my wake boat, yeah fibre glass hull etc, but helipad is above he engine and the boat has 14 speakers in it and a dirty great big sub woofer... All that magnetic field stuff running around the boat.

Basically give it a go while the ships berthed :)...

Here's a thought, my dads a master mariner, spent his whole life sailing those tanker etc around the globe, I even been on a few as a kid. But here's my idea... What about a dirty great big thick arse rubber mat ?. Paint a "H" on it just for shits & giggles. But rubber is the best insulator ?. If she's a brand new vessel obviously it's worth it to try, the mat would have to be rather large and prob a one case as would prob weigh a lot ?

Regards Rob

Just googled that sucker, she's big man.... Only place I could see you launching for is up forward of the containers in the bow where that mast is in what looks like the only open space , which also houses the anchors I bet hahahaha, more steel :).

The issue is not what your Phantom sits on, it's the proximity to the surrounding metal.
Once the minimum separation can be established then you can use just about any non-ferrous material.

Not in my experience with a P2.

Atti. mode maintains both altitude and heading.

Thus the compass is used.

Is the P1 different in this respect?

Try it!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20