Static/Electric Shock When Hand Catching

Dirty Bird said:
sar104 said:
AsiaFlyer said:
When I hand catch my V+ I get what feels like a static/electric shock, is this normal?

It's hard to imagine how an object mostly constructed of insulating plastic could acquire much of a charge. It's capacitance has to be extremely low, and if you are catching it by its plastic shell then there is no conduction mechanism anyway.

Did you ever wonder how a rubber balloon, or styrofoam packing beads, can hold a static charge and stick to things? Same deal.

If you read the other posts you will find the answer to that question.

elaijah said:
The plastic slide at Mac D's play ground shocks the crap out of me when trying to play with the kids (bear foot)........don't know the science but.... it is, what it is. Now im going to finish my happy meal thx. I wouldn't worry its just static.

No, what happens is that you acquire a net charge as a result of your frictional interaction with the plastic slide, and then discharge when you touch the ground or any grounded conductor.

AsiaFlyer said:
It's hard to explain what the shock is like, I can feel it for several seconds (not every flight), I live in Thailand and it is very humid here, I don't normally where anything on my feet as most of my flying is done on the beach.

I hand catch it by the left rear leg (where the compass is) I thought it might be coming from this or possibly I have touched the gimbal as I have caught it?

Very strange, but definitely not static electricity. I cannot think of a good explanation for what you are experiencing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl