Statement from FAA Administrator Michael Huerta 11/23/15

My point was that I'm very surprised 8.82 ounces could be lethal at all. That just surprises me
A bullet comes to mind. It's not so much the weight, but the force with which it is delivered which does the damage. However, even a bullet isn't fatal unless it strikes a vital organ. Let's see the DOT crash test data for drones and test dummies! ;)

Last edited:
Interesting report from the FAA. Their calculations determine that a 0.55 lb/250 gram drone would be lethal falling at terminal velocity and striking someone in the head.
I guess it makes more sense to me now how the P3 punched a hole through a plastic dining table near the Great Wheel here in Seattle a few weeks ago.
Surprising.

Wow, was there news coverage of this incident?

Wow, was there news coverage of this incident?
There's news coverage of every incident involving any drone. It's the latest in mass hysteria and fearmongering by the sensationalizing yellow journalists and media types. "Breaking news! Drone spotted flying in the park with no one around! If it had fallen from the sky, squirrels could have been killed! News at 11!" :rolleyes:

I'm not saying it's a huge risk but there was a case of a drone falling directly onto a lady I believe in NYC earlier this year at a parade of some sort. She "reportedly" was knocked out but I tend to think that was more for "drama sake" than reality. I don't recall any further injuries in fact the whole thing just simply got silent or I just never read any more about it.

Also wasn't there also a report of a falling drone that bounced and hit a baby earlier? The child had slight lacerations but I don't think it was fatal (sarcasm).
The parade incident was also in Seattle, and she was knocked unconscious by the impact: Woman Hit by Falling Drone at Seattle Pride Parade - DRONELIFE

Pilot came forward (had his 333 exemption), and has been charged with reckless endangerment and fines up to $5000:
Man charged for Seattle drone crash that knocked woman out

There's news coverage of every incident involving any drone. It's the latest in mass hysteria and fearmongering by the sensationalizing yellow journalists and media types. "Breaking news! Drone spotted flying in the park with no one around! If it had fallen from the sky, squirrels could have been killed! News at 11!" :rolleyes:

Actually, this is pretty serious don't you think? We're talking about property damage here and leaving the scene. Not good. I'm sure that guy is in talks with his attorney right now. It's only a matter of time before they find him.

I'm not saying it's a huge risk but there was a case of a drone falling directly onto a lady I believe in NYC earlier this year at a parade of some sort. She "reportedly" was knocked out but I tend to think that was more for "drama sake" than reality. I don't recall any further injuries in fact the whole thing just simply got silent or I just never read any more about it.

Also wasn't there also a report of a falling drone that bounced and hit a baby earlier? The child had slight lacerations but I don't think it was fatal (sarcasm).
The case in Seattle was the drone hitting a building and falling down. The baby case was an Inspire that crashed to earth near a baby carriage and the baby suffered a 1/4-in cut from debris.

Almost to the extent of airborne collisions, the data is very sparse on these types of incidents*, especially for a drone crashing directly into people. All cases I've seen are out-of-control drones retaining some lift and horizontal movement and none are directly dropping with gravity onto someone's head, the former case having a far lower fatality rate (zero in fact so far). The TF report was going off a worst-case scenario. The Great Wheel because of the sheer size and how high up it probably hit the wheel is the closest I've seen to the TF scenario (if it didn't come straight down, it probably would have ended up in the water since the Great Wheel is on a pier (CSC?)). Now having just seen the picture of the drone itself, I will say the drone was amazingly intact with basically little more than a detached gimbal and only one broken prop blade, making the table damage extremely surprising. After seeing the condition of P3P in that case, I actually wonder more about the reality of that situation. Nevertheless, cuts from blades seem to be overwhelmingly the primary injury mode for drone incidents of any kind.

*The Seattle Pride incident reporting all established a tone that these incidents were becoming increasingly common by referencing an event the previous year in another country! If months or years go by with incidents that involve minor or no injuries (and certainly no fatalities), are we really dealing with a scourge?

That said, all of the incidents mentioned here are situations where I personally would never be flying due to equal parts common sense and not wanting to annoy people. But then again, I'm the type of person who thinks that the only reason to fly a drone around an airport is some sort of pilot-envy complex.

Reactions: Mario_SB
The case in Seattle was the drone hitting a building and falling down. The baby case was an Inspire that crashed to earth near a baby carriage and the baby suffered a 1/4-in cut from debris.

Almost to the extent of airborne collisions, the data is very sparse on these types of incidents*, especially for a drone crashing directly into people. All cases I've seen are out-of-control drones retaining some lift and horizontal movement and none are directly dropping with gravity onto someone's head, the former case having a far lower fatality rate (zero in fact so far). The TF report was going off a worst-case scenario. The Great Wheel because of the sheer size and how high up it probably hit the wheel is the closest I've seen to the TF scenario (if it didn't come straight down, it probably would have ended up in the water since the Great Wheel is on a pier (CSC?)). Now having just seen the picture of the drone itself, I will say the drone was amazingly intact with basically little more than a detached gimbal and only one broken prop blade, making the table damage extremely surprising. After seeing the condition of P3P in that case, I actually wonder more about the reality of that situation. Nevertheless, cuts from blades seem to be overwhelmingly the primary injury mode for drone incidents of any kind.

*The Seattle Pride incident reporting all established a tone that these incidents were becoming increasingly common by referencing an event the previous year in another country! If months or years go by with incidents that involve minor or no injuries (and certainly no fatalities), are we really dealing with a scourge?

That said, all of the incidents mentioned here are situations where I personally would never be flying due to equal parts common sense and not wanting to annoy people. But then again, I'm the type of person who thinks that the only reason to fly a drone around an airport is some sort of pilot-envy complex.

I agree with this. "I personally would never be flying due to equal parts common sense and not wanting to annoy people". There may be few cases out there but as we all know it only takes a few idiots. :/

Isn't it strange that the daily barrage of news reports covering 'drone sightings' by pilots ceased once the FAA said they were moving forward with regulations? There was a brief surge last week in green laser reports, but the Paris bombing took that off the agenda short term. I expect it'll pick back up after the holidays and then we'll have laser regulations.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Does anyone here think flying around your neighborhood at say 200-300ft and over houses as reckless?
If it is, then I am guilty. :eek:
I think "reckless" is determined by the pilot's/operator's skill level, experience, and knowledge and whether those are in alignment with where he or she has chosen to fly.
If you are a new pilot with a few flights around your yard and a full battery in the neighborhood park as your experience - it is reckless to go film your child's field sport from above. If you have a lot of experience, can quickly regain orientation, are familiar with your equipment's limitations, etc., then go for it from a safe perspective/angle.
If you aren't knowledgeable about radio signals and your drones limitations, it is reckless to fly around the Big Wheel not realizing you will lose signal on the other side, causing RTH to initiate, which in turn makes you bang into the ride then fall through a resin table. :confused:
If you fly above traffic, either against or with the flow (as opposed to crossing over traffic) in a manner that makes you a distraction to the drivers below, that is reckless.

But, No, not every flight above a crowd, building, or cars is dangerous or reckless.

These drones are amazingly reliable and safe for 99.9% of the users. It is a small percentage of the users who are not reliable or safe yet.

I think "reckless" is determined by the pilot's/operator's skill level, experience, and knowledge and whether those are in alignment with where he or she has chosen to fly.
If you are a new pilot with a few flights around your yard and a full battery in the neighborhood park as your experience - it is reckless to go film your child's field sport from above. If you have a lot of experience, can quickly regain orientation, are familiar with your equipment's limitations, etc., then go for it from a safe perspective/angle.
If you aren't knowledgeable about radio signals and your drones limitations, it is reckless to fly around the Big Wheel not realizing you will lose signal on the other side, causing RTH to initiate, which in turn makes you bang into the ride then fall through a resin table. :confused:
If you fly above traffic, either against or with the flow (as opposed to crossing over traffic) in a manner that makes you a distraction to the drivers below, that is reckless.

But, No, not every flight above a crowd, building, or cars is dangerous or reckless.

These drones are amazingly reliable and safe for 99.9% of the users. It is a small percentage of the users who are not reliable or safe yet.

I try to be very careful, follow the rules and always fly LOS but I do feel a little reckless once I'm a mile out but that's when you have to trust your FPV. The thought of total battery/power failure always haunts me! I wish it didn't but I am learning to trust the equipment a little more and more with each flight. It's just that ugly feeling of what if it falls or something... Ugh! It's still a lot fun though! :)

Does anyone here think flying around your neighborhood at say 200-300ft and over houses as reckless?
Our opinions aren't relevant. It's the determination of the FAA that matters, taking into account all the circumstances, when it comes to being charged with reckless flying. It is a legal term of art. The Webster's definition is not relevant. Try Black's Law Dictionary for a better understanding of the term reckless in a legal sense. In answer to your question, though, the correct answer is, "It depends..."

Last edited:

+1 ! Well said!

Actually, this is pretty serious don't you think? We're talking about property damage here and leaving the scene. Not good. I'm sure that guy is in talks with his attorney right now. It's only a matter of time before they find him.
You are assuming the pilot was "on the scene." He/she could have been up to 7 miles away, with a P3P transmitter mod. I am not in any way condoning what took place, but unless such a pilot happens to be on site, in plain sight, the odds of finding him/her will depend on the contents of the micro SD card. If it was a brand new, unused micro SD card, and the takeoff was not recorded, and the video recording only started at the scene, the pilot ended up with 720p coverage on the tablet, and will never be found, unless the pilot wanted to be found by putting their phone number on the drone. "You can see the drone, but you cannot see the pilot," as the DOT spokeshole stated in the press conference announcing the drone registration task force creation.

The parade incident was also in Seattle, and she was knocked unconscious by the impact: Woman Hit by Falling Drone at Seattle Pride Parade - DRONELIFE

Pilot came forward (had his 333 exemption), and has been charged with reckless endangerment and fines up to $5000:
Man charged for Seattle drone crash that knocked woman out
I wonder if he will now also charged with a "hate crime" too! Rumor has it he may also have been a gay basher! "Drone used in a hate crime assault against gays!" Where is that article? It will certainly make the evening news, even if there isn't a grain of truth in it! :rolleyes:

Well, when you learn that the P3P pilot in the Great Wheel crash was trying to fly through the spokes of the moving Great Wheel, I have little sympathy for him! It's hard enough to do that at the miniature golf course, while putting through the rotating windmill blades! :eek: In his defense, the restaurant below, where it punched a hole in a flimsy plastic table top, was completely closed for the winter, so no restaurant patrons were ever endangered. Would have made a great YouTube video, if he'd been able to pull it off, without crashing! ;)
Rumor has it the pilot will come forward, once DJI agrees that the crash was covered under warranty, as it just dropped from the sky without warning! Must be a design defect! :p

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj