State parks

Reaction score
Anyone know the rules about flying in state parks? State forest?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

you have to check with them so will let you some wont

That are called _state_ parks as the states regulate them. As such, there are at least 50 possible answers to this question.

Your best bet is to review the parks information online and then check the signage once you arrive at the part. But even if there are no actual rules against drones, the local ranger will probably tell you they are not allowed. I avoid populated parks as it's just not worth the hassle.

Yes. I think each state may have a blanket rule for all of their parks or in the absence of a rule or law, each park decide if they don't want drones.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

In my state you can fly in most parks, but you will need permission to do so in the local parks. As long as there are no major events going on, you may be allowed in most cases..
Also many state parks and zoos are placing NFZ signs in and around the entrances of the parks. So, make note of that.
Currently, there is a $100.00 fine here in local parks within florida if you do not have proper permission to fly. However, Only a few park and law enforcement officials will give you a hard time. It's always better to seek out permission to fly if you can within the park.
Always respect the parks that you fly in and it will pay off if you follow those basic guidelines.

California has a blanket rule: No flying r/c of any kind.... that being said there are many state parks that have allowed r/c flyers for years, one close by me (Folsom Lake) on one of the parking lots that goes un-used during "low season"... I think it really depends on that particular Parks management and the popularity of the park. Until recently I was not allowed to do aerial video of my own events when I rented a state park. There are now new rules that will allow aerial filming "drones" with the consent of the park administration - and a permit. So in a sense, things in CA State parks is looking up a bit...

I wanted to fly in Bear Mountain State Park in Rockland County NY and the state police have told me that i can fly 'over' the park but i can not launch the aircraft from the park property.

However NYS Parks have a permit you can apply and schedule a date and time you wanna fly. But they would not allow me to do it on site and told me i gotta do it in advance.

California has a blanket rule: No flying r/c of any kind.... that being said there are many state parks that have allowed r/c flyers for years, one close by me (Folsom Lake) on one of the parking lots that goes un-used during "low season"... I think it really depends on that particular Parks management and the popularity of the park. Until recently I was not allowed to do aerial video of my own events when I rented a state park. There are now new rules that will allow aerial filming "drones" with the consent of the park administration - and a permit. So in a sense, things in CA State parks is looking up a bit...
Can you provide any information to show this "blanket rule"?

Edit: I read your post again. I think you mean that pretty much every CA _state_ park has this rule, with a few making exceptions. Not CA in general.

Last edited:
While I was at Ohiopyle in Pennsyvania, I asked a park ranger if I could fly there and he said that they would rarely grant permission to fly. But he said that many other parks may grant permission. I have not asked at my favorite local state park yet, but hopefully they will grant permission.

State parks in Texas seem to be off limits. City parks vary

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Doesnt this fly in the face of the FAA preempting state/local laws due to the supremacy clause? FAA Issues Fact Sheet on State and Local UAS Laws

No. The wording of most ordinances I've read prohibits takeoff, operation, and landing - which they can do. What they cannot prohibit/legislate is overflight.

In other words, they can't say what you can do in the air, but they can absolutely say what you can do on the ground.

Florida State Parks are all blanket NFZ. Counties are case-by-case, most in the Tampa area prohibit operation in their parks. Same with municipalities. Bottom line, you have to check who operates the park and find out if they ban drone operation.

flew at honeymoon island didn't have any problems

Reactions: mrcrane2u
In the people's republic of Pennsylvania, I don't put anything past them! Most parks have their own armed police with as much power as state troopers. The pa game commission can search your property without a warrant, they pretty much do as they please.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

flew at honeymoon island didn't have any problems

You got lucky then.

F.A.C. 62D-2.014 (Activities and Recreation)

(15) Aircraft. No person operating or responsible for any aircraft, glider, balloon, parachute, or other aerial apparatus shall cause such an apparatus to take off from or land in any park except in an emergency when human life is endangered or where a designated landing facility may exist on park property.

The State has stated that sUAS equipment is considered aerial apparatus.

Here's some info on the California Parks and drones. First seems favorable to them, but the second may come with restrictions along with CalTrans now getting into the permit mess (Fly over their road = $$ for permit??).

https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/937/files/csp_uas.pdf

And this one which is under review after August 29th:

http://www.film.ca.gov/res/docs/Use of UAS on State Property Rev 6-30-16.pdf

Nothing is really clear in the state. When I applied for a commercial film permit last May, I found out I needed two in Ventura County: One for dry sand from county, and and one for when I crossed over to wet sand which fell under the CA Coastal Commission's permit jurisdiction. Plus, I even needed one to park my car from the Ventura County Roads Dept. too (Road Encroachment and Easement Permit which ran about $1,600 for three hours.). Talk about a complete mess, very costly, and slow to get a permit (i.e. Weeks!). Once it starts, it's "Go see someone else for their permit to clear this portion on our permit." Bureaucracy for dollars run amuck. :eek:

My Sequoia Forest permit exceeded $2,000 per day. Starts at around $206 and climbs fast with a $160 processing fee which is non-refundable. Plus, you need the $2-$5 million insurance named for each forest you film in as one insurance endorsement doesn't cover all individual forests. The fees may vary since the feds don't build the forest roads and so the local county gets into the "Road encroachment permit" part of it (Forest manages the land, but the local County builds the roads for them.). Actually, the fees may vary wildly depending on who you talk too and the mood they are in that day, imho.

Mack

Government encroachment in to our lives has become an absolute absurdity.

It's a knee-jerk reaction to the combination of people doing stupid (or at the very least ill-advised) things with their drones, the fear that terrorists will deploy them with weapons or use them for recon, and the concern that drones are the peeping tom's best friend. Throw in some rushed legislation by lawmakers who aren't savvy enough to separate truth from fiction, and there you have these blanket bans. NPS' ban was supposed to be temporary until they figured out a way to deal with it - that was 2 years ago. My guess is that the wheel isn't squeaking much anymore.

I have to say, every time I see a thread about someone who's flying their rigs with FPV goggles or flying multiple miles away, I shake my head and wonder if that is the person that will wind up inspiring even more restrictive legislation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl