starting up a Phantom

Reaction score
I ordered a Phantom2 V2 and it should be here next week. I just wanted to ask and be sure I have the right ideas.

1) When I get the box, I need to calibrate the controller ( install and charge up batteries)
2) download the software and updates into the phantom
3) Install propellers in proper places
4) take to big field and calibrate compass
5) wait for satellite links to get "7" locks
6) then I can fly?

BTW, I did buy a Hubsan H107L (cheap toy, but good) with mode 2 controls (same a Phantoms) and been practicing 2-3 weeks.

Now a few questions...

1) Just to be safe in case I mess up, should I tie a strong string to the landing gear that is about 50 feet long, in case it tries to fly away? I just plan to test it out to 20 feet dome area.
2) In case I lose control, I can turn the controller off and it should return to home?
3) Is there any common problem I should be aware of or watch for as a beginner?
4) I heard there is a flight simulator or practice software for the PC. I would like to do this while I am waiting for the Phantom to arrive. Where can I do this?

Thanks for any inputs and advice!

Yes, your startup steps seem right. Make sure you wait for the rapid green lights before you fly. Be sure to take it slow at first although the Husban was a good idea. Honestly, the Phantom will be a breeze compared to the Husban.

1) You can tie it to the ground, although I don't think its necessary.
2) If you loose control, I would first switch to atti. mode, the manual mode (If enabled), then turn off the controller.
3) Be aware of orientation at ALL times. Keep the green towards you. When you have 10-20 flights under your belt, you can experiment with orientation in an OPEN field.
4) The only way this would help more than the Husban is if you had the Phantom remote to use with the software. I would stick to the Husban.

Trust me, you are going to be a good pilot. Just relax and remember your practice.

rockhoundrob said:
I ordered a Phantom2 V2 and it should be here next week. I just wanted to ask and be sure I have the right ideas.

1) When I get the box, I need to calibrate the controller ( install and charge up batteries)
2) download the software and updates into the phantom
3) Install propellers in proper places
4) take to big field and calibrate compass
5) wait for satellite links to get "7" locks
6) then I can fly?

BTW, I did buy a Hubsan H107L (cheap toy, but good) with mode 2 controls (same a Phantoms) and been practicing 2-3 weeks.

Now a few questions...

1) Just to be safe in case I mess up, should I tie a strong string to the landing gear that is about 50 feet long, in case it tries to fly away? I just plan to test it out to 20 feet dome area.
2) In case I lose control, I can turn the controller off and it should return to home?
4) I heard there is a flight simulator or practice software for the PC. I would like to do this while I am waiting for the Phantom to arrive. Where can I do this?

Thanks for any inputs and advice!

You should not need to calibrate controller out of box,
Only compass!

Rest sounds good, also, whenever you lift off , hover about 10 feet up,
For a good few seconds, see if it is a stable hover ( not sporadic ) if not stable
Early sign bad compass cal. If stable ( might drift a little ) that is ok, you should
Be good to fly!

NOW,
As for fly-a-ways, string, stress, it is not worth it! Let it go, BREATH!
Get a tracker unit ( $40 ) insurance policy ( most use Tk-102b ) tracker!
That way if anything does happen , you can find it! Don't waste your time
Worrying, spend it having fun, deal with other stuff when & IF it happens!

I've been flying for WELL over a year now, not 1 fly-a-way! P2v.
Had a few minor firmware issues ( delay FPV, ect ) nothing major!

You'll find the phantom flies itself for the most part, I learned on a Wltoys v222,
It was WAY harder to fly than phantom!

And finally ORIENTATION is key to a great pilot. Fly patterns
Ie: big square, always facing NORTH, or figure 8's always facing FORWARD,
Ect. I still fly patterns after a year+.

Hope this helps!
J Dot

Take care, Fly safe!

Read the manual and follow the startup steps here: http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... ide_en.pdf
rockhoundrob said:
No .. don't tie string to your Phantom. It isn't going to run away..
I don't know what you mean by to 20 feet dome area. Go to a large open area, well away from trees and buildings.
Don't be afraid to fly 50 feet away.
It's easier than you imagine.
It will take you about 5 minutes to learn to fly - but longer to become proficient and learn what can go wrong and how to manage these.

rockhoundrob said:
You won't be flying far enough away to lose control signal.
But you should read the relevant part of the manual and understand it.
After a couple of flights send your Phantom out 100 ft and test the RTH so you know how it works.
i-Kd4QfCF-L.jpg

rockhoundrob said:
Don't get too adventurous too early.
Always confirm home point is recorded before flying away.

I followed DJI on youtube and watched the very first video they posted about how to fly ..
on take off don't be afraid to give full throttle right off bat it will hit 10 feet and allow you to back off
GPS mode is great, let go of sticks if you panic it will stop and hover.. keep it close to you at first and practice turning, and then point it at you and practice..

finally probably easiest when landing to bring it close to you reach out your arm and grab the legs while turning off your motors.

pay attention to flight times, get a timer , program for 15min to be safe and land.. without iosd and fpv you won't be able to see battery percentage and if your to far away you don't ant auto land to initiate due to low battery...

most of all enjoy. it sooooooooo fun!!!

I don't know about your newfangled P2's but I think my FC40 needs to fly more than 20 feet from the point of takeoff in order for Return To Home to initiate properly.

I also don't know of anyone who didn't fly the 10 meters away before switching their controller off or initiating RTH by some other means. I wonder what would happen. :?

As others have said, have fun.
Worrying about the BS is for the birds, so to speak. :lol:

Thank you everyone for the inputs! All were helpful.

I am a bit wound up because the Phantom arrives late next week. I have 2-3 weeks to get everything working and know how to use it before I go to Colorado.
There will not be any internet up there, so I have two more questions (last ones I hope!)

If I download the updates and software at home (Oklahoma), then drive up to the camp in Colorado, I should be OK flying the Phantom as long as I do compass calibration and do the satellite link up, right?

What happens if I don't get 7 Satellite links? Can I still fly the Phantom with only 3-4 links? Is the only risk here, is that there is no RTH? But the Phantom will still handle and fly the same?

Thanks again everyone!

rockhoundrob said:
Thank you everyone for the inputs! All were helpful.

I am a bit wound up because the Phantom arrives late next week. I have 2-3 weeks to get everything working and know how to use it before I go to Colorado.
There will not be any internet up there, so I have two more questions (last ones I hope!)

If I download the updates and software at home (Oklahoma), then drive up to the camp in Colorado, I should be OK flying the Phantom as long as I do compass calibration and do the satellite link up, right?

What happens if I don't get 7 Satellite links? Can I still fly the Phantom with only 3-4 links? Is the only risk here, is that there is no RTH? But the Phantom will still handle and fly the same?

Thanks again everyone!

If you don't get at least 6 satellites, the Phantom will fly in ATTI mode, I.e. Not using the GPS.

That means that the Phantom will drift in the wind although it will maintain the altitude.

My own recommendation would be to disable low-battery RTH mode, otherwise if the battery gets low enough, the Phantom will soar up to 20 metres and attempt to fly home. If it hasn't got enough battery capacity left, it will then crash from 20 metres up. Also, if you are attaching a gimbal and camera, leave this off for the first few flights. If it crashes, you won't have to worry about damage to these delicate items.

Hey rockhoundrob, I am assuming you are headed into the mountains.
At what elevation will you be camping?

I live a few hundred miles north of the Denver area and most of my flying is in the vicinity of a nearby mountain range.

I think the biggest concern you will have is reduced flight time due to elevation.

I've flown on both sides of, as well as on top of some of the Bighorns.
1. Satellites can be difficult to pick up in some of the canyons without any southern exposure.
2. Winds above the tree tops can be blowing very fast, even though it may be calm at ground level.
Listen and look for indications of high winds. If the wind is blowing, you will encounter turbulence.
3. Everything, including batteries, will get cold faster than you may expect.
4. Eagles are territorial, and really big.

;) More information shared = Better advice received

I really recommend calibrating the controller initially. It should not need it but why not make sure it's correct before finding out by flying. My gamble wheel was not set correctly.

I don't recommend RTH by turning off the controller. S1 should work in Phantom mode (I think) so just use that if needed. If it does not work in Phantom mode, then you would need to turn off but once on NAZA mode, use S1 for RTH. Turning the controller off means you need to reconnect to regain any control.

I fly at 5000 all of the time, no problems. Had it up around 6000 and did not notice any difference.

Label you controller even if it's just using painters tape and a market. Yes, label your controller!

Relax, take it easy and enjoy!

HOT DIGGITY DOG !!! I just got the Phantom TODAY !!! They said I had to pre-order and I won't get it until March 23rd!! More time to learn and make sure everything is working as it should ( whew).

As for where I am going... 1 area is south of Canon City so the altitude will be about 6000-7000 feet. The other area is north of Cotopaxi and that area is about 8000-9000ft.
I didn't think about the thinner air, but thanks for the warning there !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4