starting in ATTI mode, a few questions

Reaction score
I mostly fly GPS mode but I've switched to atti mode in flight a few times before just to check it out. I have hardly any flight time in atti mode compared to GPS. I have more than 50 flights with my P 2.

Here's my question, recently I was in a canyon with high rock walls. It was impossible to get 7 SATs locked. It would bounce around between 5-6. Since I've done no startups in atti I wasn't clear on a good start sequence. Is it just waiting for solid yellow instead of green at power on?
Since I'll be flying somewhat close to canyon rock walls how much drift will I expect?
HL will work normally if I flip that switch on in Atti mode right? Or does HL not work like RTH since there was no GPS lock at start. I'm assuming HL doesn't work in atti.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I may head back to that location on Sunday. :cool:

knuckles said:
I mostly fly GPS mode but I've switched to atti mode in flight a few times before just to check it out. I have hardly any flight time in atti mode compared to GPS. I have more than 50 flights with my P 2.

Here's my question, recently I was in a canyon with high rock walls. It was impossible to get 7 SATs locked. It would bounce around between 5-6. Since I've done no startups in atti I wasn't clear on a good start sequence. Is it just waiting for solid yellow instead of green at power on?
Since I'll be flying somewhat close to canyon rock walls how much drift will I expect?
HL will work normally if I flip that switch on in Atti mode right? Or does HL not work like RTH since there was no GPS lock at start. I'm assuming HL doesn't work in atti.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I may head back to that location on Sunday. :cool:

You're correct in assuming that HL will not work in ATTI, Failsafe nor if you connection without HL. So you are better off waiting for HL once in the air switch over to ATTI.

In canyons, near mountens and close to building, you always have to expect unexpected drifting, if you get my drift. [emoji12]

It's actually to be expected. Even in wind still conditions the rotors will 'suck' you to the wall of a house or a canyon if you're coming too close. It's simple, the air pressure is lower between the wall and the rotor because the rotors are drawing the air away from the wall as well as speeding up the air which lowers the pressure even further. Indoors you get the same thing. If you are able to keep it in GPS mode it still will have the tendency to move into the wall so you have to stay at least 6 feet away to be safe. With 8" props the drifting towards the wall tendency is a lot less, they produce a lot less wind and turbulence hence low air pressure around the rotors (exactly why they DON't produce VRS and the 9" DO, although DJI say the 9450 is VRS free, which I surely doubt and going to test with NAZA-M on my FC40 once i have them).

Another concern for me would be the auto descend mode that is invoked when you keep the throttle down. Suppose you want to follow the steep slope down to the bottom of the canyon and it detects that you are descending for more than 3 seconds. It will stop all forward movement and starts to land on that spot. If that's a tree top on the edge of a deep cliff you're pretty screwed. Be warned!

Thanks for the info and replies. I did a bit of atti flying today and man did it drift. It would take some getting used to. I'm not ready to try it in a somewhat narrow canyon. I can see how I could get into trouble with drift near a canyon wall or if I got disoriented with direction.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl