Standard RC Controller

Reaction score
Can someone confirm this...... So a friend of mine just got his first Phantom ...the " Standard". He let me get my hands on it and I almost smashed the thing coming down on a fast descent because...... The left knob locks, or rather sticks and stays in the down position!????!!!
is this normal for the Standard? He said he called the distributor he bought from and was told that this was normal for this model. My friend also has quite a few yrs experience flying Heli's and gas powered airplanes and said he was quite comfortable with this "feature" where it really f--k-d me up and almost caused me to crash.
Any thoughts on this? Is it true or is there something wrong with his controller?

I have a p2v with dial wheel remote, and mine does the same thing, if you pull it ALL the way down it locks there, but you can pop it up easily! It is supposed to be like that! I guess when your descending from a high altitude, you don't have to sit there and hold stick down? Not really sure why? But I don't mind it, never use it, but don't mind it, I just do t push all the way down!

Jerry

Reactions: dirkclod
I have a p2v with dial wheel remote, and mine does the same thing, if you pull it ALL the way down it locks there, but you can pop it up easily! It is supposed to be like that! I guess when your descending from a high altitude, you don't have to sit there and hold stick down? Not really sure why? But I don't mind it, never use it, but don't mind it, I just do t push all the way down!

Jerry
Ok, I guess it comes down to what you're use to. Took me by surprise is all. I must say though.... I don't like it!

Reactions: iquadtography
I hear you,
I guess if you did not know about it, it would be a big shock! I wanted the dial wheel, but I'm using a non-plus P2v so had to do my research to see if it would not only work with my bird, but also with my aftermarket gimbal, and during my research on it, I had read about that feature, so I was already prepared for it, lol, like I said I don't use it personally, but I'm sure it would come in handy in the right situation, whatever that might be? I use mine for fun, and work, so I'm never over a hundred feet or so, and usually never out of sight! Glad you were quick enough to avoid disaster, so kudos on that! Bet that won't happen again!:D

Live and learn my friend, live and learn! ( unfortunately, sometimes the HARD way )

Take care, Fly safe!
Your friend
Jerry

Fix it then. I have on my P2 and my P3S . Just open the TX and pull this up a little and it's gone !
Mod.jpg
As long as that dip is over the pointer it don't lock :)

Reactions: J Dot
Thanks, if it was mine, I would, however..... As I mentioned, It's my friends and he seems to like it just like it is.Good to know though!
:).....Completely went over my head Trump. Saw ya was a member and I tend to skip right to the issue and go .
Sucks getting old as my mind seems to miss stuff :rolleyes:
It was a pain to me also when I got my first TX with it and was the first thing to go . Lots do like it and should keep it .
I just didn't read :) my bad. lol
Don't normally have to give this to myself but I deserve it .
Orangutan-Didnt-Read-It-Dance-In-The-Rainforest-From-a-Commercial.gif

Reactions: J Dot
:).....Completely went over my head Trump. Saw ya was a member and I tend to skip right to the issue and go .
Sucks getting old as my mind seems to miss stuff :rolleyes:
It was a pain to me also when I got my first TX with it and was the first thing to go . Lots do like it and should keep it .
I just didn't read :) my bad. lol
Don't normally have to give this to myself but I deserve it .
View attachment 32702
lol, no worries. Appreciate the tip!

I find it useful to lock the stick downwards:
  • Continues to descend automatically
  • Once no velocity is detected, the motors are automatically shut down. (either on the ground or in your hand)
I've set the stick and put the controller down (if in an open area). Then the drone will take care of itself descending and turning the motors off once on the ground.

Or, useful when you have your hands full and catching the drone by hand. Just set the stick.

If you let it descend at full speed it will smack right into the ground at full speed. The P3S does not have the Advanced and Professional's height sensing capability.

I bent the lock on mine the instant I opened up the Transmitter case. Very easy by the way. Much easier than the P3A/P Transmitter.

If you let it descend at full speed it will smack right into the ground at full speed.
Good Point.. I use the sticky stick but I always catch it by hand. And when close, unstick the stick.

BUT.. it comes in real handy when bringing down my Repeater-Helper Drone. I stick the sticky stick and let it make its way down as I am flying home with the Camera-Worker Drone.

Last edited:
Yeah It is kind of a DERP thing IMO. Maybe on an Pro/Adv is automatically lands if you leave it pressed down. Dunno.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31