Standard Kumba Cam setup on P2

Reaction score
I bought the Kumba cam package and in my haste to get something in the mail I didn't read their disclaimer that it will not work with the P2 without further modification or parts. I have an FPV hub so can I modify one of the cables that came with the hub to run the vtx that came with this setup or should I just give in and buy an aftermarket plug and play cord?

can you post a link to what you bought so we can see what you have? I can't guide you without all the info.

if it is this: http://kumbacam.com/DJI-Phantom-FPV-Kit ... onitor-Kit

you can take the cable that is plugged into the gopro, cut it, and splice it into the normal fpv 4 wire cable that comes out of the p2. ditch the hub and the little battery they give you. the 4 wire fpv cable that comes out of the p2 will power the vtx and also supply it with the video feed from the gopro. I would get a mini iosd and wire that in while you are at it so you can telemetry.

ps. the range of 500 ft is really not that great. if you have the chance to return it, I would.

That is the setup I purchased. The range is fine for what I intend to do. I'm a real estate agent and just plan to use the video so I can make sure an elevated shot is lined up correctly or if I do a direct overhead of the pool is the whole thing in the picture. I may change out the antenna's, but for now I'm almost always line of sight.

I figured out the wiring fix, but want to be sure I connect the right ones. I'm thinking it's Black battery wire to brown, Red battery wire to red, Black video wire to brown, and White video wire to yellow. The iosd mini should be here tomorrow so I'm waiting to put the unit back together. I'm going to run through the hub so I can switch off telemetry when I'm doing work on my listings. No one buying a house wants to know how high I was or my battery level :D

Ksc said:
ps. the range of 500 ft is really not that great. if you have the chance to return it, I would.
QFT
and 500 ft is being generous. I was unfortunate enough to buy the Kumbacam. I did it in haste and did not research the intrawebs. I exchanged the first one I got because the reception was horrible. They were great and quick with the exchange, but my replacement was only marginally better.

btw, it works on the P2 using the mini usb cable - that's what I'm using now. that's all going away and being replaced with a fatshark set up

triggins said:
That is the setup I purchased. The range is fine for what I intend to do. I'm a real estate agent and just plan to use the video so I can make sure an elevated shot is lined up correctly or if I do a direct overhead of the pool is the whole thing in the picture. I may change out the antenna's, but for now I'm almost always line of sight.

I figured out the wiring fix, but want to be sure I connect the right ones. I'm thinking it's Black battery wire to brown, Red battery wire to red, Black video wire to brown, and White video wire to yellow. The iosd mini should be here tomorrow so I'm waiting to put the unit back together. I'm going to run through the hub so I can switch off telemetry when I'm doing work on my listings. No one buying a house wants to know how high I was or my battery level :D

the telemetry doesn't appear in your footage. only in your live feed. keep it on. always.

on the 4 wires that come out of the p2, hold it so the yellow is at the top. starting from the top, yellow is video, brown is video ground, red is power, brown is power ground.

match your red to red and yellow to yellow. then match the browns to the corresponding blacks.

its too late now but I would do a vision+ for your real estate work. if you still use the p2, set your gopro to take stills with video every 5 seconds. just make sure you stay on target for the 5 seconds to get the shot. assuming you are looking to get still images.

Ksc thanks for all the advice. I've managed to troubleshoot my way through most of this. I see your point on the hub since I had to reconnect and solder wires anyway. Nonetheless I'm fairly stubborn and mounted it. The vtx has power, but no video feed to the monitor. I reconnected the USB cable the goes into the gopro and got a feed, but when I connect it with the hub I get no signal. I'm trying not to have to open the case again, but I could go to the video slot inside. Pulled the wire already so that's my dilemma.

KSC: I am having issues wiring in the KumbaCam with the iosd mini. I got the kumbacam tx working great under phantom power and all was well until I tried to install the iosd mini. Where doe the iosd mini video our wires solder into? I thought into the wires coming from the gopro to the tx but now i get nothing. The tx looks fine and still has power/displays channel but no video signal to receiver??? Thanks in advance! I am stuck!!! -PJ

Ksc said:
if it is this: http://kumbacam.com/DJI-Phantom-FPV-Kit ... onitor-Kit

you can take the cable that is plugged into the gopro, cut it, and splice it into the normal fpv 4 wire cable that comes out of the p2. ditch the hub and the little battery they give you. the 4 wire fpv cable that comes out of the p2 will power the vtx and also supply it with the video feed from the gopro. I would get a mini iosd and wire that in while you are at it so you can telemetry.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj