Standard Fat Shark antennas outperforming Immersion RC

Reaction score
Hi Phantom folk,

I've had my Phantom for a month now and have just started flying FPV. My setup is using a GoPro Hero 3 for the vision along with a Fat Shark Predator V2 system. I also purchased the Immersion RC 5.8 GhZ circular polarised antennas after reading about their superior performance. Here is a link to the ones I bought: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=49827

I immediately installed the Immersion RC antennas but to my surprise, I found that I am only getting about 200 metres range before the video drops out. I've just tried out the standard Fat Shark antennas for the first time and was able to fly 700 metres before turning back due to high wind. At this point, the video was still crystal clear and I assume there is more range to be had from these standard antennas.

This is the opposite of what I had expected. Has anyone else found this?

Many thanks.

How many mw is your transmitter? I have not gone further as about 160m with 25mw and Fatshark Spironet antennas.

I have been disappointed by my immersion spironet antenna's. All the marketing and often reviews have made them sound like a must and they will dramatically increase signal quality.

I got similar distances on both the standard whip aerials and the upgraded ones but the quality were both similar. I could not tell any difference at all. I still get really annoying break ups in the video when flying with the spironets. However I have read that the spironets are more resilient on interference, I have not noticed this but I think its all down to the environment your using them in.

Nice to hear someone else hasn't noticed any improvement as well though.

halloosin8 said:
Hi Phantom folk,

I've had my Phantom for a month now and have just started flying FPV. My setup is using a GoPro Hero 3 for the vision along with a Fat Shark Predator V2 system. I also purchased the Immersion RC 5.8 GhZ circular polarised antennas after reading about their superior performance. Here is a link to the ones I bought: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=49827

I immediately installed the Immersion RC antennas but to my surprise, I found that I am only getting about 200 metres range before the video drops out. I've just tried out the standard Fat Shark antennas for the first time and was able to fly 700 metres before turning back due to high wind. At this point, the video was still crystal clear and I assume there is more range to be had from these standard antennas.

This is the opposite of what I had expected. Has anyone else found this?

Many thanks.

My experience with those antennas is quite different, I did a comparison with the stock antenna and the circular polarised antennas and I have more or less the same type of range. The main difference is that circular polarised antennas are less sensitive to loose of LOS, allowing you to have a better FPV experience over all.

Y believe there is something that is not right on your setup. I would check if your circular polarised antennas are the right ones, keep in mind that depending on your receiver you may need SMA or RP-SMA. This could explain the low range that you are getting.

Man my experience was the exact opposite. Try switching the Spironet antennas around I had a similar experience at first but had them the wrong one mounted on the googles and the phantom. The one with the long lead should be on the googles

Sent from my S4

My predator V2 came with the circular polarized dipole . It's been bad weather since I got fpv so I'm not sure how well they do .

I have the Predator V2 kit and bought the Immerson SpiroNet antenna and I have flown my Phantom to over 650 meters with no problems with the SpiroNet antenna. Immerson makes two different SpiroNet Antenna. One for Fatshark equipment or equipment which uses SMA connectors and the other is for equipment which uses RP-SMA.

I will try the stock antenna as I am now curious. In doing my research most people complained of poor video and ranges with the stock antenna and recommended not to even bother with them.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the feedback.

I've think TechJunkieRC may have the answer - I accidentally purchased the RP-SMA antennas instead of SMA. Well, I'll get myself a pair of those and see how they go.

On the topic of the stock whip antennas, I've done a few FPV flights with them now and am getting at least 700m range at them. I find that when I get to ~700m I freak out about the battery the Phantom has left and turn around - the FPV video is still fine though. I'll post a link to the video of such a flight soon.

Thanks for weighing in!

Yeah, that would do it. You're effectively flying with no aerial at all.

halloosin8 said:
Hi everyone, thanks for all the feedback.

I've think TechJunkieRC may have the answer - I accidentally purchased the RP-SMA antennas instead of SMA. Well, I'll get myself a pair of those and see how they go.

On the topic of the stock whip antennas, I've done a few FPV flights with them now and am getting at least 700m range at them. I find that when I get to ~700m I freak out about the battery the Phantom has left and turn around - the FPV video is still fine though. I'll post a link to the video of such a flight soon.

Thanks for weighing in!
I've been out to 715 meters with the Immersion R/C circular polarizing antenna's(red sticks-black mushroom heads), and maintained clear video. The "secret" is altitude. You need to be at least 75 meters at that point, to maintain a good signal.
If you go much past that-you're likely to enter Fail Safe mode, as the remote will stop responding. The aircraft will stop, hold altitude, do a smooth 180 turn, and fly back at around 10m/second.

I can get that far, in under 2 minutes. Coming back, will take at least as long....so there's 4 minutes. Then the descent to landing-another 1 minutes. Just depends on the wind.
1 word of advice-when you are beyond about 600 meters, slow down. If you're ripping along at 14m/second-you are more likely to lose remote signal, than if you are going about 8m/second. When you get to 700 meters, you should be doing no more than about 6m/second.....
IF-you lose video signal, you will lose your bearings. Just flip the "fail safe" switch(test it first on a shorter flight-and always make sure home point is correctly logged before taking off), and wait for the video feed to come back.
Another method if you lose video signal is to flip the Home Lock switch, pull back, and wait......

I wouldn't personally go beyond 715meters(my personal "record"), on purpose. I just don't see the point-you're too far out, and if anything goes wrong....that's a long way.

havasuphoto said:
I wouldn't personally go beyond 715meters(my personal "record"), on purpose. I just don't see the point-you're too far out, and if anything goes wrong....that's a long way.

You might be right about going out too far, however, I live in a rural area and I have fields all around me. The one directly across from my home is just at 800 meters to the tree line and then the woods head west and south to just over 1000 meters. Testing my FPV setup I first used Google Earth to map out the distances and then I went for it. (Yes I am friends with the farmer as he uses my land for staging his equipment to harvest so I wasn't trespassing) I made it to the 800 meter mark without any issues except I had to gain altitude to get a better picture. I actually hit the limit I had programmed into my Naza so I just turned around and flew home! The Phantom performed great and was in direct LOS of the transmitter the entire time.

I still think your advice is good advice, I just wanted to throw it out there that it can really go out there a long way. You are also correct, at that range it would be quite the long walk of shame!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik