Stage 2 install/test questions

Reaction score
Just finished installing my stage 2 kit but have not flown it yet and have a few questions.
1. In the repeater do you remove the old cables and shielding?
2. With no RSSI indicator how are you testing for max range?
3. Will FPV V3 booster have any effect after stage 2 install?

Thank you
Bob

1. I left the shielding and insulated the antenna cable ends and tucked them out of the way.
2. I flew it away from me in a particular location before the mod and noted when I lost connection, repeated the test after.
3. Yes as it simply increases the maximum power output of the wifi chipset outputs in both the extender and on the phantom itself.

Packetlos:
So you fly till you have either a broken video/control connection and rely on failsafe/rtm to bring it back? Has anyone suggested some sort of signal strength indicator to let you know when you are on the edge? If any part of a ground station mission looses connection does it continue the mission or rth? I live in a very remote area of Alaska with uncluttered airwaves and was able to reach a little over 400 yards without a rth before installing the stage II kit. Thank you for your response
Ugashik bob

UgashikBob said:
Packetlos:
So you fly till you have either a broken video/control connection and rely on failsafe/rtm to bring it back? Has anyone suggested some sort of signal strength indicator to let you know when you are on the edge? If any part of a ground station mission looses connection does it continue the mission or rth? I live in a very remote area of Alaska with uncluttered airwaves and was able to reach a little over 400 yards without a rth before installing the stage II kit. Thank you for your response
Ugashik bob

Bob, you really should be getting much better reception than 400 yards with your stock setup in that environment....something is wrong here....as for RSSI, I agree, it is sorely needed on the bird, flying until you lose contact and initiating RTH was my only solution when pushing the distance envelope. I used video interruptions as a gauge to turn around most of the time....

mede8er:
Before installing the stage 2 kit 400 yards was the furthest I attempted because even after testing failsafe/rth in a smaller environment successfully I viewed it as a emergency vehicle and was reluctant to use it. I'm sure I could of pushed much further given my environment of almost no rf and flat treeless tundra but lots of lakes and small ponds. Hence my issue in trying to sort out what could be expected using a stock kit, a stock kit with range booster apps, and then using the various stages of fpvlar kits. My goal would be a solid mile for both video and control but unless I convert the Phantom to something like my Taranis with RSSI logging it looks like its trial and error using the failsafe/rth function as a test vehicle. With all the bells and whistles being incorporated into the flurry of apps available you would think displaying the RSSI that is being monitored somewhere in NAZA to trigger failsafe would be doable. Another comment about using failsafe as a rangefinder is whenever failsafe is entered you are totally out of the picture until you are back within communication range and in my back yard that is not a comfortable feeling.
Thank you for your input.
Ugashik Bob

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub