Stable Video setup

Reaction score
We have been having having issues with recording stable video on our phantom, and not sure what is the root cause.
We have a GoPro setup on a 2 axis gimbal, which works fine. However, could the gimbal no be performing quickly enough to counter any shaking in the air?
Just wondering to what extent the problem would be the gimbal, the balance of the props, our controlling of the flying, or even NAZA settings on the throttle or balancing?
I've seen plenty of videos out there with stable flight and just looking to point in the right direction to fix our setup for consistent stable video.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

calipilot said:
We have been having having issues with recording stable video on our phantom, and not sure what is the root cause.
We have a GoPro setup on a 2 axis gimbal, which works fine. However, could the gimbal no be performing quickly enough to counter any shaking in the air?
Just wondering to what extent the problem would be the gimbal, the balance of the props, our controlling of the flying, or even NAZA settings on the throttle or balancing?
I've seen plenty of videos out there with stable flight and just looking to point in the right direction to fix our setup for consistent stable video.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Depends, what kind of gimbal do you have?
if it's a servo based gimbal, unfortunately those are never quite fast or smooth enough for turbulent flying or flying conditions.
if the video is showing jello, then it's more of a prop balance/vibration isolation issue.
but if it just seems shaky, that's not much that can be done unless you use post-sabilization software or get into a brushless gimbal

stable videos is as much an art when flying the phantom as it is when holding a video camera. if you have eliminated the jello effect caused by known vibration from the motors (prop included), and you have a gimbal that is not servo based, then it comes down to your flying. I've been flying mine a lot (got 12 batteries per session) and mastering a smooth shot is still difficult. considering the size of the phantom, even a light breeze is enough to cause problems.

auck said:
stable videos is as much an art when flying the phantom as it is when holding a video camera. if you have eliminated the jello effect caused by known vibration from the motors (prop included), and you have a gimbal that is not servo based, then it comes down to your flying. I've been flying mine a lot (got 12 batteries per session) and mastering a smooth shot is still difficult. considering the size of the phantom, even a light breeze is enough to cause problems.

Like suck I've found the best video is dead air, Atti mode, hands off controls and let the quad stay in its course for a count to five. Harder than you think to not mess with the controls. Then only use the stable shots in your video, which will be a very small fraction of all the recording.

I think that stable video is relatively easy to achieve but it just takes a little more money. But you know, if you're after nice video then for sure you are already into the rig fairly deeply - Phantom purchase price, spare battery or two, Gopro3 (Black for best video), memory card. So really a cheapo active gimbal from our friends out East isn't such a drag. I have an Arris gimbal and a buddy of mine has a no-name version which was half the price, difference in performance = ZERO.

I only flew a few batteries with my Phantom but from minute 1 my video was stable even though I was thrashing the sticks around waaaaay too much. I took a little time to balance the props as soon as I took them out the wrapper as well. Check out my videos below.

(Gopro was mis-set, I had 720/120fps selected which isn't good in terms of quality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iXFSZp_ ... 18u1qZA'''

Or this, my third only flight in 1080/60 using my Futaba T8 setup. You can't say the video is great subject matter but smooth? - YEP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5caRCipq ... HFX18u1qZA

In my limited experience so far, I would say that a brushless gimbal is fast enough to handle pretty poor stick work no problem. It would sound like you have a mechanical vibration such as poor prop balance or even motor balance.

Roadkilt said:
Here is some help on getting better video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NcsZqqCDGQ&sns=em

..which has nothing to do with the title of this thread.

The recipe for shooting stable video is as mentioned, flying in the least amount of wind and flying ATTI with the least amount of stick-input, and smoothly moving the sticks if necessary. (a 3rd party transmitter can also be used to soften stick movement).

But unfortunately, not everyone can wake up at the crack of dawn for wind-less mornings and are forced to contend with windy flying conditions - which the Phantom's gyro's do their best to counteract.
But that pretty much always results in shaky video.
that's where a brushless gimbal comes in, as its able to counteract the rolling and pitching of the Phantom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.