SRP nd8/cp Filter - Do You Use It?

Reaction score
Anyone use this filter! I just purchased it and looking for reviews.

I don't have that filter, but I do have the SRP GND16-8 and ND16/CP filters.

Here's what I like about them:

- The build quality is excellent
- They are easy to handle without touching the lenses (unlike the flimsy gels)
- They are easy to clean
- The metal storage containers keep them safe when not in use
- The results are very nice
- SRP support is responsive if you need help

Here's what I don't like about them:

- On my P3P, they fit too well. It's tough to slide them on and off of the camera. A few people told me they loosen up a bit over time.

Last edited:
I use it - it helps quite a bit with shutter speed and sky color. The only complaint, as was mentioned by msinger, is the tightness of the fit. I really don't like the tug of war I have to do with my camera. Also, if you don't push it ALL the way on, you may see it in your video (either the ring or a small light leak). Pushing it all the way on means a bit of a struggle getting it off.

Pushing it all the way on means a bit of a struggle getting it off.
Since they were tough to slide on, I made the mistake of not pushing them on the entire way the first time I used them. Be sure you push them on the entire way too. Otherwise, you'll see dark areas in the corners of your video/photos.

Also, if you don't push it ALL the way on, you may see it in your video (either the ring or a small light leak). Pushing it all the way on means a bit of a struggle getting it off.

:)

I have them but I also have the multi-coated Taco filters and Polar Pro. The SRP filters look nice and they do fit very tightly. My problems with them is that they are very heavy, so far no gimbal warnings but they really need to be balanced. I am also not sure the grad ND is really a grad ND but I am still testing, but not convinced. They make a quality product and their support is second to none.
The other brands are screw on filters and easier to use and change, the SRP is tough, at least mine, to install correctly and remove.

Alan

My problems with them is that they are very heavy, so far no gimbal warnings but they really need to be balanced.

Of course, "very" is a relative word on this weight scale!! :) There is, however, a mention of balancing on the SRP site itself. Here it is:

Note: Refer to the gimbal manufacturer about safely using our products with your specific gimbal make and model. Not all gimbals can safely support the extra weight. Counterbalancing the filter weight is recommended. SRP will NOT be liable for gimbal damage.

I tried a penny (attached with a velcro tab) to the back side of the camera. Now if I could only remember to attach it each time ...

Yes I know about the balancing, and I saw it on their website that is not the issue, but since I change filters and often need to do it in the field, it is not an exact science, in reality just a penny on the back does not properly balance it as the balance is affected on two axis, that complicates it if you want to do it right. So in general I prefer to use the screw on filters because they do not add so much weight and do not need balancing. The SRP filters are not any different optically, my main interest was the grad filter which like I stated I am not convinced really works as advertised. I often shoot late in the day when it becomes necessary to change filters to different values to maintain the video frame rate. Or if I am shooting stills, I only use the UV filter and I get the best image quality with the higher shutter. So it is all a matter of what works and what is practical. The appeal of the SRP is that they slip on but it often takes me longer to get them on correctly and or remove it, than to unscrew and replace with a different filter.
All opinions and experience, just related mine and my reasoning, not stating that anything else voiced by others is wrong, just there are choices and options.

Alan

I agree about the value of shared experiences and ideas. As far as the dual axes: the effect of weight is not the same for both axes. The bulk of the weight of the filter is forward, not lateral (although the lens is slighty off center), so the effect on tilt would be smaller than the effect on forward pitch (this is quite easy to observe as the filter is installed), and small left to right adjustments of any temporary counterweight are easily possible. No counterbalancing is ever going to perfect unless done under tight controls. As I said, I don't always remember to use the counterweight, and I have not had any problems either way. Many people don't use any counterbalancing at all, and also have experienced no issues. Like you, I, too, am just describing something I tried in the attempt to follow the manufacturer's instructions, but as I have not had any issues either way, I certainly wouldn't make it a recommendation. :)

I use the SRP ND8/CP and ND16/CP all the time. Most will tell you that the CP isn't much use for video while changing positions relative to the sun, but I do mostly photography and account for the sun position. I don't find the weight to affect the gimbal at all and I have never done any kind of balancing for them.

With regards to how tight they fit, I did find a tip here somewhere about adding a small notch to the inside of the o-ring to reduce the vacuum when pulling them. They slide on and off with medium effort now. I do, however, notice the vignetting people speak about in photos, even with them pushed on all the way. But, easy enough for my wife to edit out.

I have the Taco filters as well, but haven't even tried them yet (had them for a month). They are super light, but mine aren't labeled like the newer ones (I'm sure I can figure out which is which and mark them).

Last edited:
I have this filter and love it. Just be carful when taking it off. As for counter balance, I would not add anymore weight to the gimbal. It doesn't need it. jMO

Reactions: acherman

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen