"Squeeky" Gimble on P4

What do you mean it twitched? Was it stuck momentarily? So afterwards it never does it anymore. Strange!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Watch at 10 seconds, 1:22 and 1:35 to see that "twitch" or "flip" mine was doing.

I was concerned about the sound, also. It makes the sound as it straightens out at boot up. Also, my P4 has an hour and a half of total flying with about 23k' since April 12th, and nearing the end of the last flight yesterday, the gimbal "flipped" or "twitched" to the left 4 or 5 times. I flew it today in breezy conditions and even used Active Track for the first time with no further problems.
I now believe the squeaky sound is a manufacturing defect which leads to lock ups of the gimbal during flight. Something is getting stuck, preventing the gimbal from properly leveling the camera at all times. My first P4 had the same squeak and then had the gimbal lock up, briefly in flight, with a "maximum gimbal angle exceeded" error in the app.

My second P4 has no squeak, but the gimbal calibration failed twice in a row during initial setup, and then finally completed successfully on the 3rd attempt. Not a good sign! Then, on my second flight, while in Sport mode, flying sideways, I got the same twitch of the camera to the left at 45°, which only lasted a half second, and then corrected, and did not recur during the rest of the flight. Something is getting stuck with the gimbal, even without the squeak, if the gimbal calibration ever fails! If it ever sticks, the question is not whether, but when will it get stuck again? My P3P's never had this issue, unless the camera struck the after market gimbal guard below during a braking maneuver.

If you have this stuck gimbal issue, unless DJI can persuade us this can be fixed in firmware, which I now doubt, it is a hardware defect, and you should exchange your aircraft for one without this problem, or send it in for a warranty repair, if that is not an option.

The twitches in the video above are somewhat different than my lockups, as the aircraft in the video is in a virtual hover at the time, requiring no gimbal correction, but twitches anyway. Something is amiss with all these gimbals.

I now believe the squeaky sound is a manufacturing defect which leads to lock ups of the gimbal during flight. Something is getting stuck, preventing the gimbal from properly leveling the camera at all times. My first P4 had the same squeak and then had the gimbal lock up, briefly in flight, with a "maximum gimbal angle exceeded" error in the app.

My second P4 has no squeak, but the gimbal calibra

The twitches in the video above are somewhat different than my lockups, as the aircraft in the video is in a virtual hover at the time, requiring no gimbal correction, but twitches anyway. Something is amiss with all these gimbals.

Not so sure about the gimbal calibration failing guys. My gimbal makes no noise, I've flown about 3hrs with it so far, and again, it makes zero noise when turned on or picked up, I checked today.
But, I did have the calibration fail twice in a row the very first night, then after it's been 100%.
Then tonight it was windy and noticed my horizon was off, brought it in, went to do the gimbal calibration and, error! Lol, I didn't freak though, I did it again and held my breath, it went fine, horizon fixed.

I noticed a couple things, whenever I get a calibration failure, it just seems to not do the final back and forth sweeps towards the end, if it does do th whole thing, it calibrates fine. The other thing was just tonight, on this calibration, the first one I actually needed, I noticed a tiny micro movement that's never been done before, it was what the horizon was off, meaning, the tiny flick musta been it "seeing" the issue and fixing it.

I'm not saying anything about whether you guys are wrong or right or not, that up to you guys, I'm just saying I think the calibration failures aren't a big problem as I feel like I've got a quiet solid gimbal system, but still have that glitch where it does act up. In between tonight I had done the calibration a couple times to see if it failed as often as worked but it had NOT been failing on attempts when just checking. Also, I start it with the dumb lock on, which is what I did tonight when I had the horizon off, so it could be self inflicted, but the dang software never, EVER warns me like my P3P did with "gimbal overload" it's as if it knows the lock is on and doesn't fight it.....weird. Here's a little more, earlier today in tall grass, it did give me a warning, guard off this time! So it may actually sense the guard, in hindsight, that is prolly the reason the horizon was off, between that and starting it with the guard on. When I take the guard off after its on, the gimbal is slack, so it isn't fighting the gimbal guard, then it'll kick on.

Reactions: Jussaguy
Not so sure about the gimbal calibration failing guys. My gimbal makes no noise, I've flown about 3hrs with it so far, and again, it makes zero noise when turned on or picked up, I checked today.
But, I did have the calibration fail twice in a row the very first night, then after it's been 100%.
Then tonight it was windy and noticed my horizon was off, brought it in, went to do the gimbal calibration and, error! Lol, I didn't freak though, I did it again and held my breath, it went fine, horizon fixed.

I noticed a couple things, whenever I get a calibration failure, it just seems to not do the final back and forth sweeps towards the end, if it does do th whole thing, it calibrates fine. The other thing was just tonight, on this calibration, the first one I actually needed, I noticed a tiny micro movement that's never been done before, it was what the horizon was off, meaning, the tiny flick musta been it "seeing" the issue and fixing it.

I'm not saying anything about whether you guys are wrong or right or not, that up to you guys, I'm just saying I think the calibration failures aren't a big problem as I feel like I've got a quiet solid gimbal system, but still have that glitch where it does act up. In between tonight I had done the calibration a couple times to see if it failed as often as worked but it had NOT been failing on attempts when just checking. Also, I start it with the dumb lock on, which is what I did tonight when I had the horizon off, so it could be self inflicted, but the dang software never, EVER warns me like my P3P did with "gimbal overload" it's as if it knows the lock is on and doesn't fight it.....weird.
Thanks for that clear description of yours, which sounds very much like my current P4, and gives me hope that I may still have a good one that just has a minor issue, instead of another potentially major one. I now know what to look for! You might want to also put red tape on the front of the gimbal protector so it stands out against the white and clear plastic and blocks the camera, as an extra reminder to remove before turning on the battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussaguy and Sim597
Thanks for that clear description of yours, which sounds very much like my current P4, and gives me hope that I may still have a good one that just has a minor issue, instead of another potentially major one. I now know what to look for! You might want to also put red tape on the front of the gimbal protector so it stands out against the white and clear plastic and blocks the camera, as an extra reminder to remove before turning on the battery.
I'm more known for really confusing the issues! Lol look what I did on the other thread! (You so eloquently cleared up for me)
I DO need one of those "remove before flight" tags, but they're $10!
Like I said, I'm not sure about the noise thing as mine is dead quiet. I do notice the camera does hit the gimbal bracket when way way over threshold though, I guess it's just never going to go that far. I feel bad for anyone having problems with their new "toy" especially at these prices we are paying, and hope they either get it replaced or, are just a little meticulous and hope it works itself out

One Question: Have you ever seen the video tip 45° in the frame in the 3 hours of flight? That's the real reason for my concern, as mine did this on my second flight, night before last. I just saw it in the recorded video file. It only lasted half a second or so, but the gimbal locked momentarily, and then released.
Watch the programming it goes thru, there is like at 70-75% (I think, I can dbl check) then it does a final back and forth sweep, I noticed that everytime it didn't calibrate, it doesn't do that final sweeping stroke, let me know if that's the thing your seeing when it fails, if so, I believe we have the same issue, which hasn't been a problem, yet If I see the % goto 89% or something, I'm always like "alright!" Because then it did the final left right. When I saw the micro twitch it was right before that final one, and again, that seemed odd, but the horizon was off that time and it fixed it.

I'm more known for really confusing the issues! Lol look what I did on the other thread! (You so eloquently cleared up for me)
I DO need one of those "remove before flight" tags, but they're $10!
Like I said, I'm not sure about the noise thing as mine is dead quiet. I do notice the camera does hit the gimbal bracket when way way over threshold though, I guess it's just never going to go that far. I feel bad for anyone having problems with their new "toy" especially at these prices we are paying, and hope they either get it replaced or, are just a little meticulous and hope it works itself out
Just put some colored tape on it, over the "lens" part that stands out, so it's like a lens cap on a DSLR, that prevents you from seeing the through the lens.

One Question: Have you ever seen the video tip 45° in the frame in the 3 hours of flight? That's the real reason for my concern, as mine did this on my second flight, night before last. I just saw it in the recorded video file. It only lasted half a second or so, but the gimbal locked momentarily, and then released.

Watch the programming it goes thru, there is like at 70-75% (I think, I can dbl check) then it does a final back and forth sweep, I noticed that everytime it didn't calibrate, it doesn't do that final sweeping stroke, let me know if that's the thing your seeing when it fails, if so, I believe we have the same issue, which hasn't been a problem, yet If I see the % goto 89% or something, I'm always like "alright!" Because then it did the final left right. When I saw the micro twitch it was right before that final one, and again, that seemed odd, but the horizon was off that time and it fixed it.
It does sound like exactly the same issue, with 2 calibration failures the first time during setup, followed by one good one. However, I also had the 45° tilt of the camera during flight, like on my P4 with the squeaky gimbal. Just once, but on my last flight.

Have you ever seen that 45° tilt of the camera (gimbal sticking) in any of your recorded videos, or during FPV in your 3 hours of flight?

Last edited:
Just put some colored tape on it, over the "lens" part that stands out, so it's like a lens cap on a DSLR, that prevents you from seeing the through the lens.

OH, I see what u mean, I might try that, but it prolly won't help because it's probably pretty smudged with the guard on isn't it? I mean it's not clear clear. I can't put my finger on why I don't catch it more, but that might be helpful, I see what you meant now.

Ok, so, I haven't had it lock like you said, or if it was that quick I didn't notice it, I've gone across a lake a few times and had to fly via the tablet so I probably would have seen it. But, if you can't really feel a bad spot, like you say, it seems good to go, I don't know if that would be a major concern. I'm guilty of trying to make you feel better, but I would feel terrible if it ended up costing you down the road.

So, try this tomorrow. If your up to it, get it to your eye height and put in atti or sport (you can leave in P if not comfortable but won't be as hard rolling) so, take it to where u can watch the gimbal easily at eye level, facing away or towards you, and rock it hard left and right, be careful of course, but what I am saying is do that to really put it through the paces, and it should stay rock steady, if it locks up again or doesn't perform like it should, then you know, replace it, otherwise I'm thinking it was a momentary lapse of syncing and I hope and think it'll be fine guy.

OH, I see what u mean, I might try that, but it prolly won't help because it's probably pretty smudged with the guard on isn't it? I mean it's not clear clear. I can't put my finger on why I don't catch it more, but that might be helpful, I see what you meant now.

Ok, so, I haven't had it lock like you said, or if it was that quick I didn't notice it, I've gone across a lake a few times and had to fly via the tablet so I probably would have seen it. But, if you can't really feel a bad spot, like you say, it seems good to go, I don't know if that would be a major concern. I'm guilty of trying to make you feel better, but I would feel terrible if it ended up costing you down the road.

So, try this tomorrow. If your up to it, get it to your eye height and put in atti or sport (you can leave in P if not comfortable but won't be as hard rolling) so, take it to where u can watch the gimbal easily at eye level, facing away or towards you, and rock it hard left and right, be careful of course, but what I am saying is do that to really put it through the paces, and it should stay rock steady, if it locks up again or doesn't perform like it should, then you know, replace it, otherwise I'm thinking it was a momentary lapse of syncing and I hope and think it'll be fine guy.
Good idea! I take it you don't record continuous video during flying? I do, cause that's where I really get to see what was there in 4K, that I missed in the low res 4Mbs FPV feed while flying. I've seen other drones and birds, and even kite surfers I didn't know were there! Most recently, it was an Inspire 1 headed right into me about 20 feet away, off to the side. Closing speed was probably 65 mph! Just missed each other, but I'll bet he never saw me until after either!:eek:

My first p4 did that. Returned it due to a faulty usb connecter. My new p4 gimble is quiet.
My short connecting USB piece on my new P4 is squirrelly, too! Only one of my four Apple branded Lightning cables would plug into the female USB connector! Poor DJI quality control. I also don't want to ruin any of my $20 Apple lightning cables trying to force it into compliance!:eek:

If you pick up the bird and tilt it while it like it is doing almost a 90 degree strafe, the camera with lightly touch the gimbal and make a weird noise. I was wondering if they knew about that and that why that weird orange sticker is there. I never have heard definitively if that orange sticker is supposed to be removed or not. Based on the fact that it hits it, I am thinking not. It makes it so it wont scratch it over time. Im guessing but it surprised me that the camera can hit the gimal in natural movement, however sharp.

Mine does the same thing...gets to 72% and fails about 70% of the time, but with repeat attempts...it successfully reaches 100% and calibrates successfully. No gimbal noises present with mine. Only thing I can't seem to address is my camera has a noticeable/annoying point to the right by several degrees...won't stay pointed strait. Tried calibrating everything, but no luck. It may be mounted off centered from the factory. Mine may be going back for an exchange.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Good idea! I take it you don't record continuous video during flying? I do, cause that's where I really get to see what was there in 4K, that I missed in the low res 4Mbs FPV feed while flying. I've seen other drones and birds, and even kite surfers I didn't know were there! Most recently, it was an Inspire 1 headed right into me about 20 feet away, off to the side. Closing speed was probably 65 mph! Just missed each other, but I'll bet he never saw me until after either!:eek:
Wow! That's interesting point Guy, hmmm, well, I just got a $25 gift card (points) from BB and I might as well get another 64gb card, and record more then I usually do.

I did catch a raptor (not sure hawk or eagle, definitely a bird of prey) that looked to be pacing my P4 while crossing a lake, she scared me enough to turn around. After that video of those two attacking that guys P3 I'm now positive it CAN happen.

Mine does the same thing...gets to 72% and fails about 70% of the time, but with repeat attempts...it successfully reaches 100% and calibrates successfully. No gimbal noises present with mine. Only thing I can't seem to address is my camera has a noticeable/annoying point to the right by several degrees...won't stay pointed strait. Tried calibrating everything, but no luck. It may be mounted off centered from the factory. Mine may be going back for an exchange.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Oh man that does suck! We have all read the horror stories of gimbals not centered or level (actually I haven't heard that one till now, but as 4th generation Pipefitter I am fanatical about level and plumb, that would drive me to replace) and I have to admit, I always felt ppl were crying over not a big thing or deal. Now, this is the thing, I'm new to quads and only have about 9-10hrs total in flight times between the two I've owned for less then three months, so my thinking was/is out of pure ignorance of the issue. After seeing mine the other day, winds were higher then normal for me, at 10mph I ground my birds, so at first I was like "oh, it's the wind dummy" but afterwards I thought, wait a sec, wind shouldn't matter one bit! As we know it really shouldn't as the gimbal should stay level no matter the birds attitude. That when as a newbie, I finally got it, and how unappealing the video must be for those guys, and how that one issue can ruin an experience. I still however find fault with say a Best Buy reviewer who gave the P4 like two stars due to his issue, take it back, replace or return it if it deems a two star, he stated every single phantom he owned couldn't level the horizon, I find that claim highly doubtful.

So I've come full circle and really feel for those guys, and, if mine acted up, or say kept doing it, I am not in the business of keeping DJI in the black, if their production methods, or design flaw, or manufacturing process is the reason, replace/return until you get what you both wanted and paid for! I'll say for the record that I don't condone having a company pay for a users mistakes, if you did it, then don't expect or try to get said company to bail you out, however, we shouldn't be keeping production mishaps in our closet or to ourselves. Also of course the process of return has to be taken into consideration, if your an Eskimo in Alaska, and it's a huge problem to replace, that different, but I'd rather look forward to my new P4 in the mail, then be disappointed with the first one. Good luck to you, I hope it works out, but for me, part of the fun is the wait, I've checked my UPS page 30X waiting for something, only to have it delivered and sit in the box. (Like the thrill of getting some item was the best part of it) My P4 I lamented on and had the P3P but was happy, but couldn't wait to get it, when I did, it stayed in the box until the next day when I was ready to open it.
So what I am getting at, is a little waiting (if you have to) is worth it to have the hobby you envisioned, anything short of that, is a disappointment.

It does sound like exactly the same issue, with 2 calibration failures the first time during setup, followed by one good one. However, I also had the 45° tilt of the camera during flight, like on my P4 with the squeaky gimbal. Just once, but on my last flight.

Have you ever seen that 45° tilt of the camera (gimbal sticking) in any of your recorded videos, or during FPV in your 3 hours of flight?
Just for clarification, did it tilt down? Or sideways? Sorry you prolly said but I don't remember.

If you pick up the bird and tilt it while it like it is doing almost a 90 degree strafe, the camera with lightly touch the gimbal and make a weird noise. I was wondering if they knew about that and that why that weird orange sticker is there. I never have heard definitively if that orange sticker is supposed to be removed or not. Based on the fact that it hits it, I am thinking not. It makes it so it wont scratch it over time. Im guessing but it surprised me that the camera can hit the gimal in natural movement, however sharp.
Not sure about orange sticker, I do remember taking a sticker off the center of the "bracket" for the gimbal, basically the round part of the sides of camera bracket, can hit the top center round part, this seems like a design flaw, but again, I really doubt at that point it's within operational standards, and I personally don't think I've been close in flight, I don't fly extremely hard though, even then, seems like it'll be ok

Wow! That's interesting point Guy, hmmm, well, I just got a $25 gift card (points) from BB and I might as well get another 64gb card, and record more then I usually do.

I did catch a raptor (not sure hawk or eagle, definitely a bird of prey) that looked to be pacing my P4 while crossing a lake, she scared me enough to turn around. After that video of those two attacking that guys P3 I'm now positive it CAN happen.
The 16GB size card is the ideal size for one full flight of 4K video, as you will never fill it, even with a battery mod delivering 30 minutes of flying time! Better to have four 16 GB cards and put a new one in after every flight, than to put four flights on one 64GB card and lose them all, if Blackhawk down happens over water on the last flight.

Just for clarification, did it tilt down? Or sideways? Sorry you prolly said but I don't remember.
Sideways, which is completely consistent with slamming into the orange sticker area you described above. The P3P was capable of this as well. Sounds just like a normal extreme braking issue.

I have often wondered about that orange sticker on the gimbals. It clearly isn't intended to come off. I never tested it like you have to establish that the camera can strike the gimbal. Now that I know that, it all makes sense, and explains the rare video flip. I occasionally saw it in my P3P flights, too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31