Squeaking noisy motor - solution

Reaction score
I was installing props and found out one of my motors didn't feel right. It felt stiffer and didn't move 'robotically'.
When the motors started, it squeaked on and off at idle and disappeared when revved up. As a cautious person, I bailed and called it quits for the day.

I took her home and had a closer inspection. What was happening was small black metallic filaments was shorting out the magnets and causing changes in polarity. If there is a heavy bias on polarity, your motor will lock up in mid flight. At first I, tried to remove by tweezers but it was impossible as the magnets are too strong. I tried disassembling the motor by removing the C-clip and ring but the bell housing wouldn't budge. I am sure there is a method but it would involve prying to separate the bell from the coil. I ended up using an air compressor to move the filaments to the bottom of the magnetized motor. I then used tweezers to slide them out and then sticky strong tape to lift them off the bottom of the magnet.

What I cant figure out is how I got the motor contaminated in the first place.
Also, does anyone know how to disassemble a P3 motor? All youtube clips are for other motors and it seems easy as removing the c-clip, washer and then separate by pulling.

You might need a bearing press to get the rotor out. Also I'd probably be inclined to replace the motor. even though it seems to be OK now. They are pretty cheap. Trouble is replacing the motor invalidates the warranty. You can't really replace them without DJI knowing as they have put in some hot glue type of sealant on the main board where the motor wires attach to. I don't practice what I preach as I had a minor crash a few weeks back were the bird toppled over and one of the props was stuck in the ground and the motors was trying to rotate. It then started smoking quite badly. After investigation the windings in the motors were pretty black compared to the copper color of the others. I've been flying it like this for about 8 flights now with no issues. I did buy a replacement motor but have not fitted it because it seems OK now. Pretty sure it'll give up whilst I'm over 50 meters of ocean.
1. Do I replace motor and invalidate warranty
2. Do I leave it and lose the whole P3P when the motor gives in over the sea.

The motors does not run any hotter than the others so I'm tempted to leave it. Just wondering though if the ESC is working harder and will eventually burn out too.

Who know. It's a game of chance I'm probably gunna lose eventually.

Shorting out the magnets? Changing polarity?

Thank you Mako, i enjoyed your description, LMAO!

But really, the real issue is the resulting flux capacitor voltage reversal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Replace the motor. Or send it in for repair. You'll kick yourself when that Phantom plummets!

I agree with Dr Joe, get the faulty motor replaced asap. No need to fly with fear of a crash.

Shorting out the magnets? Changing polarity?

Thank you Mako, i enjoyed your description, LMAO!

But really, the real issue is the resulting flux capacitor voltage reversal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Not sure how to describe it. It does however affect the polarity when the neighbouring magnets in the bell touches (the filament touches and 'shorts' out the magnet). You should do some light reading on brushless motors and ESC's.

I wont be ordering a motor as the motor is free of foreign objects and is operating normally. It doesn't overheat or make any noises. I will inspect before flight and if it occurs again I may then consider replacing.

Anyways, I just curious to see if there is an easier way to open up the motor for inspection/maintenance/cleaning etc.

Thanks everyone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20