Sprinkle sprinkle

Reaction score
So I'm wimpy to take out my band new p3p into a little sprinkle of a rain. Should I fly... cus I have that itch.. lol

Bad idea IMO. Water does bad things to electronics. Just be patient. Scout some locations on Google Earth and/or plan some Litchi missions.

Reactions: NepenthesLucas
Lol thanks... the weather might be like this for a few days... UGGGG well at least I have a simulator on the app :)

If you think spraying your quad with a hose is a bad idea why would you want to take it up in the rain? Even a light sprinkle will equate to a lot of water as the quad will be moving through the sprinkles quickly all the while getting very wet. Bad idea, I wouldn't recommend it.

Buy an umbrella for P3 :)

We understand your anxiety to take it up high in the sky, have patience, you will get the right time.

Yes, the onboard flight SIM is weather proof... I too, have the very awesome computer program, RealFlight 6.5. Quite helpful.
Or if you need to be in the air, Buy a small, inexpensive quad, and fly it indoors. ;-)
Flying your rather pricey Phantom 3 in the rain, would be a silly mistake, one that you may "all-ways" regret.

Better to find another hobby for rainy days... Or buy a camera that can handle the elements. I have a Nikon D800, and it can take some moisture. But that doesn't mean I want to snap pics in a hurricane. ;-)

RedHotPoker

I've seen this debated on other forums....

Water by itself is not conductive to electricity.... it is the minerals or "impurities" in it is what conducts... so since rain should be "pure" and in "theory" not conduct electricity it is possible.

I am not advocating it, but I have flown in my back yard in heavy fog/slight mist with no problems, but I did not fly for long. It was not a Phantom, but another rig using DJI Naza M controller... it only had a plexiglass "plate" covering over the electronics and the sides were totally exposed.

There are other (probably more important) reasons not to fly in the elements even if the electronics can handle it, like getting water into your motor bearings...

Throw a toaster in the tub, for an enlightening lesson in ac/dc...
Water does Definately conduct electricity. And rain water is not pure,
Look at some rain drops under a microscope some time, then tell me it's clean pure water. Hahaha
You don't have to be an eel to know that statement of yours is false.
There is no pure water in nature, not even hot springs. Nor from a Brita filter system..
There are no RO systems in the sky. Haha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: alokbhargava
Throw a toaster in the tub, for an enlightening lesson in ac/dc...
Water does Definately conduct electricity. And rain water is not pure,
Look at some rain drops under a microscope some time, then tell me it's clean pure water. Hahaha
You don't have to be an eel to know that statement of yours is false.
There is no pure water in nature, not even hot springs. Nor from a Brita filter system..
There are no RO systems in the sky. Haha

RedHotPoker

I said pure water, City water is not pure, it has minerals in it. I also said that the rain water was theoretically pure (and it does start that way, but on the way down, it will most probably pick up smog, dirt and bio materials as you pointed out.

Here is a simple experiment using PURE water and an explanation of why pure water does not conduct electricity:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

... and NO I would not throw a toaster in a bathtub of City water, pure water yes, city water no....
Every material on earth will conduct electricity. Some have much higher resistance to the flow of free electrons than others and we can use some of them as insulators for our particular needs.

Ok, let's for a brief New York minute , forget about clean and or dirty H2o but only for a wee moment.
There are moisture sensors in the drone, that bleed red, like a cut on your finger, if they get wet. So, If you crash, or have any other small problems, and decide to send it in to @dji for repair, if they see that it has been wet, you will be SH!T out of luck. Because they will return it to you, just as they received it. Unrepaired. Ah gee, what say Yee now?
Perhaps that's a better argument here. Shocking eh. They will turn their back on you. So please go play in the water all you like. Have fun, though if you experience any problems with it, you can always part it out, in pieces, on Fleabay or on Craigslist. Hahaha
Hope you feel better now, and understand how severe of a penalty you shall 'perhaps' pay.
Chilled Goblets of fresh clean Water anyone? ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Every material on earth will conduct electricity. Some have much higher resistance to the flow of free electrons than others and we can use some of them as insulators for our particular needs.
Very technically true... and pure water has a very, very high resistance and the theoretical maximum electrical resistivity for water is approximately 182 kΩ·m²/m (or 18.2 MΩ·cm²/cm) at 25 °C ... or so I read on the internet somewhere :rolleyes:

If you really want to fly in the rain, this would be some alternatives: Best Waterproof Drones In The Market

So you have simmered down? Hahaha
Don't forget the water sensors, turn red, like the river Nile, Moses. J/K

Post your video, like Gene Kelly, Dancing In The Rain. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Yeah, much hahaha.
But only if you are finished Stewing. ;-)

Chef Boyardee. With Hamburger Helper at the ready. Wide grin
Ok, mix in the electrolytes. Hahaha
Aren't public forums fun? Anybody can jump in...

RedHotPoker

Lol it was just a mist and I went out side started the motels and was like... nope. Just some drops on the shell but nope no rain flight for meh

I just wrote some new lyrics to an old melody.
I'm SIMming in the rain, happy again,...

RedHotPoker

OP simply asked if he should take his P3 into rains and we started discussing science. Simple answer to OP is don't take it to rains.

Many a times we are obsessed with our knowledge but forget the practical side of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers