Spring is in the 'Air'

That was a lot of fun to watch, thanks Dave. Looks like you all had even more fun making it, and I can see why that was "must fly!" weather :) I need to check out SF's side of it too now.

I did learn something very important from watching this: despite everything I've been told for my entire life, apparently it is perfectly fine to just stick a mud-covered foot right back in to the boot it came out of while puddle-splashing. And wearing a white coat :lol:

My wife and I had another great day with Dave and his two kids flying the phantoms again. The highlight of the day was the kids really and listening to Dave plead with them not to splash in the puddles. What he didn't realise was every time he put his goggles on I was egging them on :) Well it made for excellent footage.

This was my take on proceedings.

http://vimeo.com/87997474

OI Photography said:
I did learn something very important from watching this: despite everything I've been told for my entire life, apparently it is perfectly fine to just stick a mud-covered foot right back in to the boot it came out of while puddle-splashing. And wearing a white coat :lol:

As soon as we got home, the wife was still at work, so we had to quickly hide the evidence and put everything in the washing machine and get the kids bathed.
The look on her face when I showed her the video was priceless.

dtdyer01 said:
OI Photography said:

As soon as we got home, the wife was still at work, so we had to quickly hide the evidence and put everything in the washing machine and get the kids bathed.
The look on her face when I showed her the video was priceless.

Priceless indeed :D

I'm sure the Phantom has been the source of many "don't tell your mom!" moments across the globe

Both video's are excellent! You guys obviously have video editing experience. I'm curious... did you shoot video's prior to getting the Phantoms or did you pick up the video editing skill as a result of having the Phantoms?

It would be nice to know what settings you had your go pro's on and what your video editing workflow is. What editing programs do you use? I'd like to get my video's to look half as good as yours! :)

DesertFlyer53 said:
Both video's are excellent! You guys obviously have video editing experience. I'm curious... did you shoot video's prior to getting the Phantoms or did you pick up the video editing skill as a result of having the Phantoms?

It would be nice to know what settings you had your go pro's on and what your video editing workflow is. What editing programs do you use? I'd like to get my video's to look half as good as yours! :)

I am a self taught video hobbyist who likes photography,video and RC flying. I learnt my flying video techniques by watching other peoples flight videos and just making notes of what I think works. The phantom makes it very easy to frame and move.

As for my workflow I set my Gopro to 2.7K medium field of view. I import my files from the Gopro SD card into Final Cut Pro X making sure I let FCPX create optomised media. I tend to apply the Crumplepop HD effect for Gopro which sharpens everything up. I study the rough footage and mark my favourite clips. Finally I choose my music track and edit to the music.

Thats it in a nutshell.

Shrimpfarmer said:
DesertFlyer53 said:

I am a self taught video hobbyist who likes photography,video and RC flying. I learnt my flying video techniques by watching other peoples flight videos and just making notes of what I think works. The phantom makes it very easy to frame and move.

As for my workflow I set my Gopro to 2.7K medium field of view. I import my files from the Gopro SD card into Final Cut Pro X making sure I let FCPX create optomised media. I tend to apply the Crumplepop HD effect for Gopro which sharpens everything up. I study the rough footage and mark my favourite clips. Finally I choose my music track and edit to the music.

Thats it in a nutshell.

Thank you!

I should add that in FCPX I set my project to 1080p. As the 2.7K video is larger its possible to crop the image without losing quality. I tend to zoom to a maximum 130% scale. Its great as you can add a gentle zoom that was never ever there in the real world.

Shrimpfarmer said:
I should add that in FCPX I set my project to 1080p. As the 2.7K video is larger its possible to crop the image without losing quality. I tend to zoom to a maximum 130% scale. Its great as you can add a gentle zoom that was never ever there in the real world.

Can I ask which mac you have? I have a 21.5" iMac with a 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 processor, 12 GB memory, 256 MB graphics card. Running 10.9.2 OS. My computer is slow when it comes to editing 1080p 60fps video. I'm afraid 2.7k would be impossible to edit in a timely fashion on my machine. Lately I've been capturing in 1081p and then set my project to 720p. I don't really see the need to use anything bigger because I never upload to vimeo with anything bigger than 720p.

DesertFlyer53 said:
Can I ask which mac you have? I have a 21.5" iMac with a 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 processor, 12 GB memory, 256 MB graphics card. Running 10.9.2 OS. My computer is slow when it comes to editing 1080p 60fps video. I'm afraid 2.7k would be impossible to edit in a timely fashion on my machine. Lately I've been capturing in 1081p and then set my project to 720p. I don't really see the need to use anything bigger because I never upload to vimeo with anything bigger than 720p.

Thank you for your kind comments, I'm too am self taught, currently using a hackintosh. It's a custom built PC i7 3.7 GHz quad core, 16GB RAM, 2GB graphics card with Mac OSX 10.8 mountain lion.

I'm editing using Final Cut Pro X.
My advice with your system is to shoot 1080, think about how you want your video to look. The story, how you want to begin, middle and end. Think about the music you want to use. Which will determine how you edit it. Mine and Ken's are very different videos.
The great thing about Final Cut Pro is being able to see the sound bars in the music, so you know when the best time is to cut the scene to the next scene.

There are some great tutorial videos on YouTube for making basic editing adjustments. Try not to worry to much at first while learning editing, about color grading, layering. Just try the basics first. Cutting clips, putting them in time to the music. Make each clip around 2-5 seconds long, any longer and you lose your audience.

I am using a Macbook Pro with a 2.6Ghz Intel i7, 16GB of ram. Mine copes well. If your machine is struggling then you can go 2 ways. You can shoot lower resolution as Dave suggests or you can work with proxy files. When you import your media you would also select make proxy files. You then do all of your editing using the proxy files and only when your completely satisfied you have finished you export using the original files.

The drawback of lower resolution is of course picture quality. The drawback of using proxies is that it takes quite some time to render them when you import your files. I was in your situation and I always used proxie files. I would start the import and go off and do other things until it was ready, no matter how long that took. Importing overnight is a good method.

Do try working with proxy files even with 2.7K You might be surprised how easy it is to edit and try different effects using them, even with a slower machine. Of course what you see as you work is a much lower resolution but thats not a problem really.

Let us know how you get on.

Shrimpy

Out of the two my preference is for Ken's version. Too many props in shot on Dave's for my liking and as for that music!

Big difference in quality between the two gopro cameras, are you adding a fair amount of 'sharpening' Ken?

Fair Game said:
Out of the two my preference is for Ken's version. Too many props in shot on Dave's for my liking and as for that music!

Big difference in quality between the two gopro cameras, are you adding a fair amount of 'sharpening' Ken?

Massive amount of difference and the reason was I was using Protune and Dave was not. Also his Gopro was filming in Wide view where mine was set to Medium. Both were running 2.7K I add a huge amount of sharpening but I also added the same to Daves footage as well to try and get them to look similar. I wondered if my Gopro 3+ Black had the focussing problem and so today I am doing further tests. I don't think it has at the moment. I just took a shot of an extended tape measure and its blurred near the camera and sharp out to the end.

I took some test footage this morning with Protune turned off and it seems better. When I fly with Dave again I will have it turned off as matching the colour was hell.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Fair Game said:

Massive amount of difference and the reason was I was using Protune and Dave was not. Also his Gopro was filming in Wide view where mine was set to Medium. Both were running 2.7K I add a huge amount of sharpening but I also added the same to Daves footage as well to try and get them to look similar. I wondered if my Gopro 3+ Black had the focussing problem and so today I am doing further tests. I don't think it has at the moment. I just took a shot of an extended tape measure and its blurred near the camera and sharp out to the end.

I took some test footage this morning with Protune turned off and it seems better. When I fly with Dave again I will have it turned off as matching the colour was hell.

For what my opinion is worth I would just ease off on the sharpening for some shots, it looks a little unreal in places, but by and large very nice. I am holding off a new GoPro 3+ due the focus issue. I hear that they are going to do a firmware fix but obviously sorting out a physical focus problem with an electronic fix is dubious.

Used to be in the past that a lot of fixed focus cameras used to have a little switch for infinity or close-up. Sometimes the old ways are still the best!

Shrimpfarmer, how are you sharpening your video? In the GoPro app? I usually import my (Protunes on) video files into GoPro first then do the color saturation, exposure, white balance and sharpening there. Then convert and export them. Next I import to FCPX and do the editing. I have yet to find a way to sharpen in FCPX. Is there a way?

I'm a professional photographer (2nd job) and I work in Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 5. So I know what a good image should look like. Video is something I've dabbled in on and off for years. I know what a good video should look like. It's learning a new program like FCPX that takes me some time. I'm also new to the GoPro camera so there is a learning curve there too.

BTW... I did learn one trick in FCPX... Put the sound track you will be using in the storyline right after you insert the first video clip. Then play the video (soundtrack) and use the "Marker" tool on the soundtrack to mark the beat. Subsequent video clips will snap to those markers and the edits will cut at the beat of the music. :)

QuadZilla said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
I add a huge amount of sharpening.

Why?

Why don't you save me some typing and say why I shouldn't ? The whole sharpening debate is really down to personal preference. If I had uploaded my film as it came out of the camera it would look like mush and some of the clips still do, check out the awful mush of the fly out to the windmill.

As for how do I sharpen in FCPX I use the Crumplepop HDR For Gopro filter which has a couple of sliders for sharpness. Its a paid addon though. I did see a youtube video the other day with somebody explaining a method of sharpening in FCPX without using an addon. I think I came across it by just searching 'How to sharpen video in FCPX" I didn't try it though as Crumplepop makes it really easy.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1