Spray hardener for DIY Phantom 3 case

Reaction score
So I had this thought while I was packing my Phantom 3 Professional into the box it came in for transporting it... what if I could spray some kind of hardener onto the formed cardboard that holds the Phantom in the box, and then I could preserve the shape and use it indefinitely? I thought about EZ Liner for lining truck beds but it might be too hard. I think something that hardens paper would be ideal and spray it on evenly.

Any thoughts?

(Yes I am cheap but I am still making payments on the Phantom 3 itself so it will be awhile before I can buy a proper case. Plus, DJI is none too quick to get things mailed out I have noticed. Still waiting for an extra battery that has not even shipped since ordered May 8, 2015.)

That's a good idea, and before you posted that I had not considered just the underside, which makes perfect sense because the inside would remain "soft". Thanks!

Reactions: loganboyd
What will you do with the legs attached..It wont fit in. I found a nice case for mine for $69. It has the pick and pluck foam and some dividers

Attachments

• 20150220_114502.jpg
    20150220_114502.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 521
$69 is reasonable. Is this just a random case or is it designed for the Phantom? May I ask where you picked it up?

So I had this thought while I was packing my Phantom 3 Professional into the box it came in for transporting it... what if I could spray some kind of hardener onto the formed cardboard that holds the Phantom in the box, and then I could preserve the shape and use it indefinitely? I thought about EZ Liner for lining truck beds but it might be too hard. I think something that hardens paper would be ideal and spray it on evenly.

Any thoughts?

(Yes I am cheap but I am still making payments on the Phantom 3 itself so it will be awhile before I can buy a proper case. Plus, DJI is none too quick to get things mailed out I have noticed. Still waiting for an extra battery that has not even shipped since ordered May 8, 2015.)
There are several cases on the market designed for the Phantom 3 which are reasonably priced when you get ready to purchase one.... DJI has some competitors for cases. Maybe a rubberized spray coating such as liquid tape, if you need to go that route now.

Pick and pluck foam hardens really well if you spray Plasti Dip on it. Lots of YouTube videos about this.

Pick and pluck foam hardens really well if you spray Plasti Dip on it. Lots of YouTube videos about this.

Never heard of this product but going to seek it out! Thanks for the reply!

$69 is reasonable. Is this just a random case or is it designed for the Phantom? May I ask where you picked it up?
It's not designed just for the Phantom. Its for anything that will fit. It holds my Phantom, lots of props, battery charger, Fatshark goggles and transmitter, spare AA batteries, tools, transmitter, and has more room for other small stuff. At first I thought I wanted a case that I could leave the props on. I decided against that. I don't want anything pressing down on the props possibly changing their shape. Also by putting the props on each time is like checking them in preflight. The seller is EDEALZ. [email protected]. It was $69 with free shipping. I had it within a week. There are so many cases out there. The depth is very important. I have one case and almost 3 Phantoms. May need to get another case. . I never carry flight batteries in case with Phantom...just in case they go nuts and burn. Not worth the chance to me.

I was going to buy a hard shell but I found a used DEWALT circular saw case that works PERFECT and I got it for $5. I took the cardboard insert from the original packaging and fit it in the case. Then I used a can of expanding foam (Home Depot $5) to fill the bottom and inside the insert. Then paint the whole thing in black. $15 including the paint and it looks great!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20