Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Spotted at Sochi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phantom7, Feb 9, 2014.

1. phantom7

Just wondering if anyone else noticed the multi (octo? ) being flown during the woman's snowboarding today? Right at the start of the downhill. Not sure if a Gopro is being used but pretty cool seeing a uav being used at the Winter Olympics.

Sent from my S4

2. phantom7

[​IMG]

Sent from my S4

3. djscoutmaster

I've been watching multirotor copter shadows all day on the snowboarding events. Pretty sure they were flipping everywhere

4. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Not the olympics but many reality shows (Goldminers, home shows, etc.) use them all the time. Gotta wonder if they have permits to use them for commercial work or if they are just using the grey area that exist in the US today.

5. OI Photography

6. LandYachtMedia

7. havasuphoto

That's soo funny!!! All he needed was a Phantom and a set of Goggles.

What permits??? Call your local FAA FSDO, ask for Operations, and tell them you want to film a Commercial with a Drone.....then listen for the silence......They don't have a clue. And please, don't call them....I was just kidding!!!

There's a saying I learned a long time ago....better to ask for forgiveness, then to ask for permission.

Goldrush is filmed in Alaska, the Yukon(Canada) and Guyana...all by the same production company. They had a "behind the scenes" show where they used a hex-copter...and some of the trials and crashes. Basically-it looked like a few guys with a real nice Hex showed up on Set, and the Producer gave them an ultimatum, after a few misques and crashes. Either get the shot and don't hurt anyone, or you're gone....and, they got the shots and got everything sorted out. But, it was an interesting show to watch.

phantom1972 likes this.
  8. phantom1972

The 333 would have you filing NOTAMS 24 hours in advance, calling control towers, which aircraft you must use. Record keeping requirements, enough to confuse anyone. A busy controller in a control tower picks up the phone: "Dulles Tower", A nervous voice says, "I'm 3 miles to your South, and am going to be flying my drone in the back yard with my kids. I'm just complying with Federal Law. Do I have your permission? In the mean time two aircraft have collided on the runway...