Spontaneous "Fail Safe"???

Reaction score
I took off on a calm beautiful day with my Phantom 2 V3+ close to the launch site of our RC scale model boat club. Probably flying at ~20' as I approached their launch area. There was a group of 3 or 4 boaters there and as I passed over them, my bird seemed to go into "Fail Safe" mode, totally out of my control, and landed in the middle of the model boat captains with my transmitter still on. No damage to any folks, boats or my Phantom but was a couple tense moments when this happened. Fortunately I am also a member of this model boat club. Unfortunately, they now have an issue to harass me about. Aargh!

I know the RC systems used in the scale boats are also on the 2.4 gHz frequency. It appears their signals overrode my transmitter causing the Phantom to go into a "Fail Safe" mode landing. I have never had this happen before in hundreds of flights but this was at a lower altitude than any times before.

If anybody has had this experience I would like to hear from you. I know the "Fail Safe" is triggered by no signal from a transmitter but didn't even think about the signal override issue.

What is your fail safe mode set to? I use return to home. Also, check your flight log to see what was happening and when it happened.

Well you can call it override
I took off on a calm beautiful day with my Phantom 2 V3+ close to the launch site of our RC scale model boat club. Probably flying at ~20' as I approached their launch area. There was a group of 3 or 4 boaters there and as I passed over them, my bird seemed to go into "Fail Safe" mode, totally out of my control, and landed in the middle of the model boat captains with my transmitter still on. No damage to any folks, boats or my Phantom but was a couple tense moments when this happened. Fortunately I am also a member of this model boat club. Unfortunately, they now have an issue to harass me about. Aargh!

I know the RC systems used in the scale boats are also on the 2.4 gHz frequency. It appears their signals overrode my transmitter causing the Phantom to go into a "Fail Safe" mode landing. I have never had this happen before in hundreds of flights but this was at a lower altitude than any times before.

If anybody has had this experience I would like to hear from you. I know the "Fail Safe" is triggered by no signal from a transmitter but didn't even think about the signal override issue.

Substantial interference will seem the same as no signal to the quad.
If it can't 'hear' its 'bound to' controller then it assumes the signal is not present.

What is your fail safe mode set to? I use return to home. Also, check your flight log to see what was happening and when it happened.
Thanks. I will certainly double check and also do more testing in a VERY open area.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1