Splitting power cable

Reaction score
I am not real knowledgeable when it comes to power. If I split the power wire that's in the landing gear, would it be enough power to run both my gimbal and a headlight? The headlight normally would use the balance lead from lipo but I want to use it for the Quanum Pocket Telemetry Voltage Meter.

NO, the voltage would be the same in both wires after the split. But the amps required for both the lights and the gimbal would be different and would vary many times per second, because of the gimbal movements. The power load on the board where the wire comes from is not built to withstand the additional amp required. That would lead to a board burnout.

to play it safe you could also use a small 2s Lipo for your extras. Doesn't weigh much and keeps your main board out of the equation.

jerrymac12000 said:
NO, the voltage would be the same in both wires after the split. But the amps required for both the lights and the gimbal would be different and would vary many times per second, because of the gimbal movements. The power load on the board where the wire comes from is not built to withstand the additional amp required. That would lead to a board burnout.

So what's the difference then when it has to fluctuate to say 100mAmps instead of 0. The current the LED takes is constant and VERY little. Don't think it makes much difference, adding a LED head light to the same feed.

Just wondering if I'm right here. I might have a obsolete legacy knowledge with my 45 years of RC flying, many of which were pre LED, I hooked up normal lights together with high peak flight control servos, now there's a power drain. Never fried anything that way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav