Split video recording

Reaction score
Almost every second video recording on the SD card is split into two separate video clips. One about 9 min the second about 4 -5 min. I tipically have 13 - 15 min flights. There is no gap between both clips means the second starts exactly where the first stops. I use 32gb class10 and format in the gimbal every time I transfer the clips to the computer.
Any ideas what this could be?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Almost every second video recording on the SD card is split into two separate video clips. One about 9 min the second about 4 -5 min. I tipically have 13 - 15 min flights. There is no gap between both clips means the second starts exactly where the first stops. I use 32gb class10 and format in the gimbal every time I transfer the clips to the computer.

The P3 splits files at 4GB. There are no workarounds regardless of formatting as either FAT32 or exFAT.
The P3 will still split at 4GB even though the exFat format itself allows larger files.

Reactions: JoBe

Resolution makes a difference as well. The lower it is, the more video you will get on one file up to 4 Gig as mentioned by Oso.

At what time, should we turn off the video and reset it, to avoid this?
I find it annoying, even though I have recorded onto an empty 64gb card.
I had hoped we could get atleast 12 -14 minutes. But 9:20min seems to be the max, I get when in 4K and highest resolution.
Perhaps I could request from Siri, Please tell me when 9:00min approaches? ;-)

RedHotPoker

Got it but this is realy annoing. I am recording HD at 1080 60fps. Will reduce framerate but .....real annoying.

It's done for your own good and for the good of the majority of users. There are many file systems, and video players that cannot deal with files that are larger than 4GB.

I fail to see how this behaviour is as annoying as you make it sound.

More annoying to me is the fact that the automatic numbering system runs from DJI_0001 to DJI_0999 and then instead of incrementing to _1000, it resets back to _0001. And more annoying than the big itself is the fact that nearly a dozen firmware releases have come out since this problem was discovers and none of them have attempted to address this problem! They obviously know how to fix it since I don't believe the P4 has the same camera and works properly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The point is when sharing my videos on youtube for instance have to upload two instead of one files and than explain to my friends " no no,watch the second part not the first" or vice versa.

The point is when sharing my videos on youtube for instance have to upload two instead of one files and than explain to my friends " no no,watch the second part not the first" or vice versa.

That makes sense.

It's pretty easy to join them together with something like iMovie or Windows Movie Maker - it's an extra step, but would also give you the chance to add some titles, transitions and cut out some of the boring parts. 9 minute videos are petty long to expect someone to watch end to end. You may find you get more viewers by cutting them down to less than 5 minutes.

I have no idea what's inside your videos or if cutting them up even makes sense. Just trying to give you some ideas.

That makes sense.

It's pretty easy to join them together with something like iMovie or Windows Movie Maker - it's an extra step, but would also give you the chance to add some titles, transitions and cut out some of the boring parts. 9 minute videos are petty long to expect someone to watch end to end. You may find you get more viewers by cutting them down to less than 5 minutes.

I have no idea what's inside your videos or if cutting them up even makes sense. Just trying to give you some ideas.

Good ideas. Thank you.[emoji106]

You can also try Download MP4Joiner (Windows).
I use it to quickly merge the 2 files before upload, it is fast and then on youtube one flight = one video.
It just glue the 2 files without any re-encoding stuff. So the original quality remains.

Reactions: boyan
You can also try Download MP4Joiner (Windows).
I use it to quickly merge the 2 files before upload, it is fast and then on youtube one flight = one video.
It just glue the 2 files without any re-encoding stuff. So the original quality remains.

That sounds like a useful program for my toolbox..:does it work with 4K videos? Is it free?

Yes, it is free bt you can donate.
Also yes, it works for 4k.
I use it only for 4k video of my P3P. P3A has not the issue as battery is exhausted before 4GB is reached.

I learned a lesson last year about "Video Size" etc that might help here. I only record about 4min of video at a time before I stop and start a new one. This gives me smaller files to work with and should something happen during the flight to corrupt a file (it happens, rare but it does) I'll only miss one portion of the flight.

I was flying a commercial gig for a company. It was a single action shot. Long but simple so I let the aircraft hover and simply hit RECORD. It lasted 8min total. It was a one shot kind of deal so there was no way to "Do Over."

We replayed the video on the tablet to confirm we got it and it was there. Got home, moved file to laptop and it was CORRUPT! Somehow (no crash, no sudden battery pull etc) the file was hosed. I tried so many "tools" to recover the video to no avail. That single mishap cost my company $1,000. No video (it needed to be higher quality than what was stored on the tablet) no payment. If I had shot it in segments I would have lost only one portion and not everything. Now I shoot a couple of minutes, STOP then START and this makes life easier all the way around.

On a side note... I finally located a tool/program (it was on this very forum here) that was able to take an existing video, extract the details etc, and then apply them to the corrupt video and WHAMO! Video plays like a charm. I ended up selling it to the company for $500 so it wasn't a total loss.

If you are sending your friends 4GB video files, you're doing it wrong. If you absolutely insist on sending people 6B files, you can learn to concatenate files using the command line. And get a higher upload speed on your Internet connection.

You might want to consider the joys of editing your files. 4 GB of unedited anything is going to be awfully damned boring.

The technical reason for wanting uncut files is that there is a 1 - 5 frame gap between recordings. Most times, it won't make a difference (see above). Of course, when it makes a difference, it really makes a difference and there is nothing you can do about it.

If you are sending your friends 4GB video files, you're doing it wrong. If you absolutely insist on sending people 6B files, you can learn to concatenate files using the command line. And get a higher upload speed on your Internet connection.

You might want to consider the joys of editing your files. 4 GB of unedited anything is going to be awfully damned boring.

The technical reason for wanting uncut files is that there is a 1 - 5 frame gap between recordings. Most times, it won't make a difference (see above). Of course, when it makes a difference, it really makes a difference and there is nothing you can do about it.
I am uploading them on youtube. Otherwise I agree - there are boring parts in a long file. Just wanted to avoid the cuting editing merging part of the game. I am more found of flying but fully agree - if I want to produce a good video there must be some time spent in editing. Thank you all for the ideas and links.[emoji106]

All of the editors available - and there are bunch of perfectly cromulent free ones - do deletes and splices trivially. It's amazing what a bunch of deletes can do for a movie. All of the other stuff, transitions, music scores, special effects are frosting. But creating a story, no matter how simple or straightforward and limiting what you show to people will really improve your efforts. Probably speed things up since it's faster to delete than upload....

Reactions: boyan
If you're uploading to your YouTube channel, just use YouTube's free editor to join the files online. You can even add royalty free music provided by YouTube. I believe it's under Video Manager -> Create.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: boyan and Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik