Splicing the iOSD Mini to the board, saving the extender

Reaction score
Basically, this is what I'm looking to do. I'm looking to ditch the case of the iOSD mini (to save weight) and splice the 4-pin CanBUS cable directly to the board (splice the connector cable with the iOSD cable).

Then I'm looking to splice the CanBUS out of the iOSD so the CanBUS extension on the legs can be used freely. Reason being, I want to plug the Ground Station in to that extension port, but I don't want the Ground Station used all the time so I can connect and disconnect it at will.

I'm sure this is possible (It's just 4 wires and a few different connectors) but I'm not sure if anyone's done this before or what the wiring diagram is directly out of the board. Any ideas?

It's been done by several people here on a P1 (the OSD has to be soldered straight to the board, instead of to the plug from the grey cable, but same principle). The pics below show the pinouts on the iOSD canbus plug and extension port...you'll just need to find the pinouts on the P2's canbus cable from the leg to splice it properly...I'm sure someone here knows what they are. I could swear I just saw a diagram with that info a day or two ago, but I can't find it now :|

5.jpg

phantom1_hack61.jpg

I have done exactly that. That way he CAN bus port on the leg is still operational.

Attachments

• 2014-04-28_07-23-29.png
    2014-04-28_07-23-29.png
    317.9 KB · Views: 971
  • 2014-04-28_07-43-59.png
    2014-04-28_07-43-59.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 984
You can add as many CAN devices as you like just by splicing the wire. You just need to make sure you terminate the open end properly.

500px-CAN-Bus_Elektrische_Zweidrahtleitung.svg.png

Thanks guys! Lots of good info here.

So I've thought about doing this a different way. Since you can just tap into the Can BUS, I've thought about soldering a cable to the 4 points under the CanBUS Extension chip and running that to the OSD. That ensures the extension works great, the iOSD mini works great and there's a free can bus port inside the Phantom, if need be.

The only issue I am having is I don't know which point of which (G, V, H and L) on the module. Here's a photo from another forum showing the idea (but without pinouts marked).

Attachments

• DSC06187.jpg
    DSC06187.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 877
The "chip" is just a connector and a resistor. No chip. No logic. To figure out the pins, you'll need a multimeter to do a continuity test to the other end of the connector and then match the pins from there. You need to make sure you are on the right side of the resistor. You don't want to continue the bus on the other side of the resistor.

ianwood said:
The "chip" is just a connector and a resistor. No chip. No logic. To figure out the pins, you'll need a multimeter to do a continuity test to the other end of the connector and then match the pins from there. You need to make sure you are on the right side of the resistor. You don't want to continue the bus on the other side of the resistor.

Right. These *should* be on the correct side of the resistor since it's the same pins used for the header. I was just going to tap in there and run these cables to the iOSD.

So does the iOSD mini not have that same resistor as the extension port/board on the leg? Or just somewhere I don't see it immediately? (I'm looking at xgeek's first pic above)

Thats a good question. There appears to be one on the left above the video molex connector but who knows what that controls. I think it's intended to be used on the opposite side of the bus module so maybe it doesn't need one? I thought about plugging it right into the board but getting it from the can bus module just seemed safer?

I can't see how the resistor on the leg port gets taken out of circuit when you plug in another device?

xgeek said:
I can't see how the resistor on the leg port gets taken out of circuit when you plug in another device?

I believe he was referring to your original picture with the iOSD with a soldered plug that looks like it plugs directly into the Phantom as opposed to plugging into the Can module with the resistor, thereby removing that resistor. (but who knows if the iOSD has it's own on board)

xgeek said:

It's a good question. CAN bus is not a daisy chaining topology as you can tell just by the name. I am pretty sure it simply continues the connection before the resistor and the resistor path becomes a dead end.

As for the OSD, it could be the chip itself that is terminating the connection. All CAN connections have a transceiver that if they are the end of the line need to provide a termination resistor.

The board I have here shows a CAN transceiver (blue module). The transceiver has a jumper for termination. I can remove the jumper if I extend the CAN bus past this.

teensy-can.jpg

Is it possible to do the sarawuth mod connected to a Can Hub, can bus cable cut and solder into the upgraded board?
This way i can have directly a couple of can bus ports directly form the board. Anyone tried this?

In the photo above of the back of the leg can bus port the connections are left to right,RV-GRD-CH-CL.
I have run a cable from here to the iOSD and soldered it directly after removing the can bus plug and splicing it to the wires so you dont have to remove the white glue.
It works

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31