Spin-on Prop Adapters

Reaction score
Anyone have a source and/or experience with spin-on prop adapters (so we can use the legacy props with the P4)?

Why?
- The P4 props are hard to balance and even after they are balanced, there is no way to ensure the prop is truly centred on the motor axis
- The strength of the 3 tabs of the P4 prop mount is not confidence-inspiring and the springs do not hold the props as tight as I think they should

Side note: Does anyone know if the ESC's can supply reverse voltage to the motors? I am assuming they can't. If this is the case there should be very little (aka no) loosening tongue on the screw-mount torque. (from an engineering aspect the screw-mounts are pretty near perfect).

Hello Kamloops,
I've pondered why screw on props unscrew in service, I reckon a loose prop will unscrew when the motor power is suddenly reduced, for example when the drone gets to a preset altitude, so it may go from say, 9000 rpm to 4000 rpm in a split second, inertia can then spin the prop off as the motor may slow faster than the prop. Reading about lost prop crashes, I reckon this is the main cause of 'it crashed and one of the props is missing' incidents. I agree, screw mounts are excellent, I've no idea why people complain about them..
No idea about adaptors though, as I have a P3

Not sure about adapters but I have over 2 million feet on my P4 & the tabs haven't broke yet. Also I haven't seen reports of the tabs spontaneously breaking.

Anyone have a source and/or experience with spin-on prop adapters (so we can use the legacy props with the P4)?

Why?
- The P4 props are hard to balance and even after they are balanced, there is no way to ensure the prop is truly centred on the motor axis
- The strength of the 3 tabs of the P4 prop mount is not confidence-inspiring and the springs do not hold the props as tight as I think they should

Side note: Does anyone know if the ESC's can supply reverse voltage to the motors? I am assuming they can't. If this is the case there should be very little (aka no) loosening tongue on the screw-mount torque. (from an engineering aspect the screw-mounts are pretty near perfect).

Not sure about adapters but I have over 2 million feet on my P4 & the tabs haven't broke yet. Also I haven't seen reports of the tabs spontaneously breaking.
Same here over 2,000,000 feet and I can hardly see any wear.

P4 props are well balanced from factory and of good reputation. If not perfect eventually, then impact is minimal given weight and mass.

Don't let props mounted after flight (springs metal fatigue).

Don't store props in a way they could BEND !!! This can affect props behavior.. (some using carrying boxes allowing to let props mounted and inside foam compressing them).

Always verify metal springs all same eight and not too low ....

I have lost one prop at start, thought I had checked correctly but not. I pay now more attention. Lucky me I know some lost while flying but looks very rare and possibly extreme conditions.

I have one prop who has not the tiny rotation play after mount. I need to verify inside the prop where does attach to the mount.

Not flying in extreme conditions that would cause prop unmount..

Hope does help?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20