Spektrum or Futaba? Center throttle stick problem?

Reaction score
I have been interested in updating the controller for my P2 and have been considering a DX8, is this okay and is it easily compatible? My budget is $300 range, I hear that Futaba 14SG is preferred but is that extra $200 worth it?

I am also confused about the whole non-centered throttle stick problem. Can a P2 be flown easily without a centered throttle stick, or would I have to mod the controller?

Last thing, and I really appreciate responses to any of my questions, I will be using this controller for my helicopters also, right now I just have a blade and that obviously is in favor of Spektrum. But eventually I want an align, and it looks like align is with team Futaba but correct me if I am wrong. So given this info, could I use a Spektrum easily with a Futaba?

I know anything is possible, but I want to know if it can be done without extensive work. I pretty much will do anything except solder a circuit board, I wish I could do that but sadly I am a biochem major and not electrical engineering.

helishmeli said:
Can a P2 be flown easily without a centered throttle stick

Yep! In fact the earliest models of P1 didn't have the self-centering throttle. You'll just need to get the throttle up within 3 sec of starting the motors or the Phantom will shut them off again.

I don't use Futaba or Spektrum gear (I'm a die-hard Taranis/FrSky fan), but I'm pretty sure most the other stuff you're asking about is feasible...I know others use the DX8 with a Phantom. However, I'm guessing you may run in to a brick wall trying to mix-n-match Futaba+Spektrum radios (though I could easily be wrong about that).

OI Photography said:
helishmeli said:
Can a P2 be flown easily without a centered throttle stick

Yep! In fact the earliest models of P1 didn't have the self-centering throttle. You'll just need to get the throttle up within 3 sec of starting the motors or the Phantom will shut them off again.

I don't use Futaba or Spektrum gear (I'm a die-hard Taranis/FrSky fan), but I'm pretty sure most the other stuff you're asking about is feasible...I know others use the DX8 with a Phantom. However, I'm guessing you may run in to a brick wall trying to mix-n-match Futaba+Spektrum radios (though I could easily be wrong about that).

@at the OP, if you are not 100% certain of where centre is on a non sprung centred throttle you could set a small dead zone around centre stick by using a throttle curve. this could lessen the possibilty of having a slight uncommanded sink or climb

helishmeli said:
I have been interested in updating the controller for my P2 and have been considering a DX8, is this okay and is it easily compatible? My budget is $300 range, I hear that Futaba 14SG is preferred but is that extra $200 worth it?

I am also confused about the whole non-centered throttle stick problem. Can a P2 be flown easily without a centered throttle stick, or would I have to mod the controller?

Last thing, and I really appreciate responses to any of my questions, I will be using this controller for my helicopters also, right now I just have a blade and that obviously is in favor of Spektrum. But eventually I want an align, and it looks like align is with team Futaba but correct me if I am wrong. So given this info, could I use a Spektrum easily with a Futaba?

I know anything is possible, but I want to know if it can be done without extensive work. I pretty much will do anything except solder a circuit board, I wish I could do that but sadly I am a biochem major and not electrical engineering.

I have a 14SG and Taranis, both can be converted to sprung throttle. In the case of the 14SG the UK version came with the parts to convert it in the box. The Taranis does not need any additional parts to convert.

I like the 14SG but to be honest I find the radio link on the taranis is superior (solid) it's also a third of the price.

Taranis is s.bus as well so easy to hook up with a single connector.

Another thumbs up for the Taranis. I use this coupled with the X8R receiver on my F550 Hex. The Taranis has the feature whereby it will emit a beep when the throttle is at the centre position. As already mentioned you can add expo to the throttle curve where by the response is reduced the closer you get to the centre position. This can also be used on the other controls, A, E, and R so as to provide finer/slower response for those delicate moments, really smoothes out those slow panning shots.

I can attest to the claim of a more robust link, at 500m out and 50m elevation the RSSI figure is still in the upper 80's.

Regards

Nidge

Nidge said:
I can attest to the claim of a more robust link, at 500m out and 50m elevation the RSSI figure is still in the upper 80's.

I don't know if you (Nidge) saw the link when I posted it a couple of weeks ago, but the BoltRC guys managed to get 10km out of a Taranis and X8R with nothing but the 5db antenna mod on the Tx: http://boltrc.com/blog/new-10-1km-recor ... tenna-mod/

OI Photography said:
Nidge said:

I don't know if you (Nidge) saw the link when I posted it a couple of weeks ago, but the BoltRC guys managed to get 10km out of a Taranis and X8R with nothing but the 5db antenna mod on the Tx: http://boltrc.com/blog/new-10-1km-recor ... tenna-mod/

It can be quite a surprise as to how far a very low power signal on 2.4GHz can propagate. This ISM allocation was designated as such due to the effects that weather would have on long haul point to point links, but when conditions are favourable many hundreds of kilometres is possible with relatively low power, though the type of antenna in use has a very big part to play. Just browsing the 13cm amateur DX spots today reveals point to point comms close to 1000km.

Regards

Nidge

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20