Speed (MPH) question

Reaction score
I have read that the Phantom 3 is electronically limited to 35 mph, in my DJ Go app the flight record playback has a H.s. MPH, and a V.S. MPH and that recorded top speed of 47 MPH. At first i thought maybe it was meters per second, but why the "MPH" unit of measure? Alos what is HS vs VS.
Thanks
Hess

Thankyou. So did i go 43MPH like the pic of the app says?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-31-10-20-14.jpeg
    Screenshot_2015-12-31-10-20-14.jpeg
    913.6 KB · Views: 775
Thankyou. So did i go 43MPH like the pic of the app says?
Probably not.
Your app is showing 43mph for horizontal and vertical speed and the only way a Phantom can achieve that rate of descent is if it's free falling (even then it probably wouldn't exceed 38 mph).
Something's not right with those numbers. Ignore them and check next flight.

My record is 51.3mph.
Yes indeed, a stiff tail wind will push it well over 35. I've also had mine above 50 MPH.

As Meta4 mentioned the V.S. showing 43 is weird, something not right with that. But H.S. of 43 is not abnormal with a tailwind.

Reactions: Phill2
Yes indeed, a stiff tail wind will push it well over 35. I've also had mine above 50 MPH.

As Meta4 mentioned the V.S. showing 43 is weird, something not right with that. But H.S. of 43 is not abnormal with a tailwind.
Old thread, new reply. My P3 ADV will do 50+ MPH with no tail wind. Looking at my logs all of my 45+ mph P3 ADV flights were done using Litchi.Dji Go app is not as forgiving.

Old thread, new reply. My P3 ADV will do 50+ MPH with no tail wind. Looking at my logs all of my 45+ mph P3 ADV flights were done using Litchi.Dji Go app is not as forgiving.
DJI GO is not forgiving of what?

50mph absent a tailwind is well out if spec, max allowable tilt angles won’t get you anywhere near those speeds on standard settings. Are you running hacked firmware?

Reactions: Meta4
DJI GO is not forgiving of what?
Dji GO doesn't give me speeds up to 50 mph like Litchi does.

The Firmware is stock from Dji. Bought the P3 Adv new and it's been able to do 51/52 mph since I bought Litchi about 6 month ago. My P4 will do 44 mph max with both Dji G0 or Litchi.

Dji GO doesn't give me speeds up to 50 mph like Litchi does.
The Firmware is stock from Dji. Bought the P3 Adv new and it's been able to do 51/52 mph since I bought Litchi about 6 month ago. My P4 will do 44 mph max with both Dji G0 or Litchi.
That's definitely not normal and very different from spec.
Whether you use Litchi or DJI Go should make no difference as the tilt angle which controls speed is governed by the firmware.
Your Phantom should only be able to reach around 36 mph in P-GPS mode and a little more with a good headwind.
Post some flight data and perhaps it will help clarify what's going on.

I'm aware of this but heres a recent flight with my P3A going over 50 mph. I cant get near 50 mph with Dji GO. Don't ask me why because I don't know either. ; )
Untitled.jpg

I'm aware of this but heres a recent flight with my P3A going over 50 mph. I cant get near 50 mph with Dji GO. Don't ask me why because I don't know either. ; )
That says 50 mph but to find the explanation we'd have to see the actual data rather than a screenshot from Airdata.

That says 50 mph but to find the explanation we'd have to see the actual data rather than a screenshot from Airdata.
I have no idea how to post flight data. I tried attaching a link to my Airdata page but I couldn't open it in Mozilla Firefox. I'm not logged in to Airdata or accepting any cookies in Firefox which is still installed on this PC from when I changed over to Chrome. With Chrome I am logged in to Airdata and can obviously open/see the link.
I’d be asking Airdata how they manage to determine the max speed. It’s almost certainly not right.
It's not Airdata. It's all compiled by Airdata from the Dji hardware/software. Speed is most likely measured via GPS. My Phantom 4 tops out at 44.5 mph with no wind. That sounds accurate to me. My P3 Adv is definitely faster than my P4. I've timed them both on a 1 mile run a few times. I really like the P3 just as much as the P4.
I also use Inspire GL658C remote controllers for both which seem to give better range than the GL300C but has nothing to do with speed as far as I know.
Cheers.

Heres a "Sharing Link" of a a flight with my P3 Advanced showing 64.2 MPH.
That shows your Phantom achieving a max speed of 64 mph at 8:16.6 with the Phantom in atti mode heading north with tilt angle of 29.6°.
After turning around and heading south in RTH mode the speed varied between 21.7 mph and 11.2 mph.
The variation was due to headwind gusts ... the same wind that boosted the speed heading north.

The only way a Phantom can achieve greater speeds is to tilt more.
The max tilt angle in level flying for this flight was 30.7°.

Your Phantom is within normal specs and the high speed was because you hitched a ride on a tailwind.
To comment on something you said (much) earlier, Litchi won't fly any faster than DJI Go.
The speed depends on the tilt angle which is set in the firmware and independent of the app you use to fly.

Here's my P4 pro making almost 70 mph with a nice tailwind, but still completely within specs.
i-9TZdcsf-M.jpg

Reactions: RCP1
It was very windy here in Ireland today, so my P3 Pro and I went for a spin, just to exceed 100 kph. Beat upwind at low altitude for ten minutes to gain 300 metres from home, then up to 80m, and full tilt homewards in Atti mode

67 mph or 108 kph
Screenshot_20220221-085319.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1