Speed and battery drain

Yes.

Somebody posted a test just last week which seemed to show 13m/s was more efficient than 10 or 15. Somebody thought 14 might be best. This is in calm winds of course. I think I saw this in the P3A forum.

One thing for sure - flying in ATTI for a long period of time will drain that battery very quickly...

Thanks. To put this question into context -- I want to fly out to an island that's about a 1/2 mile off shore and obviously spend a little time filming and still be able to get back with out drowning my P3 4K. So I wasn't sure it full throttle out would make a difference in battery life.

All the distance guys that I have heard of - they all go out full throttle and come back full throttle, although I think most stay in GPS mode, not ATTI.

I wouldn't worry too much about a half mile. You should be there in about 1 minute and then you'll have plenty of time to film and get back. Be wary of the wind.

Reactions: Ron Rogers
I've been intrigued by this question myself, but not got around to experimenting with it yet. Could understand that using a lot more throttle to climb will use up battery power quicker as there's more load on the motors. However just using more forward stick, dunno, seems to me that one pair will be working a little harder but the other pair a little less?
Research required.... Just need this crap weather to bog off.
Thinking that a set litchi mission over a few km's, run at different speeds, one at 10 m/s, and one at 20 m/s and see which one comes back with the most battery left.
I reckon the faster one myself ??

Forecast not too bad for wednesday, been miserable all day and i was stuck outside building a rabbit hutch. The things we do for fun.
Will you be able to have your batteries charged to within a gnats crochet of each other for an accurate test?

Yep!
Haha, well, close enough, when i get around to doing it, preferably on a calm day, they'll both be freshly charged that afternoon for a long range mission over YORKSHIRE lol :)
PS my house is in Lancashire but I come from the imaginary man in the clouds country pmsl

Just make sure the wind is blowing toward the mainland, so you're going back with the wind when the battery is lower.

Tis good advice, I was out the other evening, dead calm at take off point. Once up to 100m, I was getting 52mph going downwind!!

I'll make that request known to Mother Nature :)
If Mother Nature is blowing the wind out (away from the mainland) flying out to an inland is taking a risk that day. The main point from a safety margin view is to wait till the wind is in your favor, and blowing inland. Many have lost their drone to the sea/lake doing it the other way.

Yep!
Haha, well, close enough, when i get around to doing it, preferably on a calm day, they'll both be freshly charged that afternoon for a long range mission over YORKSHIRE lol :)
PS my house is in Lancashire but I come from the imaginary man in the clouds country pmsl
I was born in G.O.C but raised in lancs, worked all over the place but kept my base there until beginning of last year. Brought my failing parents to live near my sister. Still a die hard Claret though

Reactions: Kwaka Pants
It's easy to see why higher speed eats more battery.
It's not the speed itself but the angle.
The drone is tilted but must maintain the same altitude.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj