Specific rig for 4k Range?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm really really not impressed with the range i'm getting on my P3 4K. Admittedly i can get a good 600+ feet distance and maybe similar height but even in the middle of nowhere it's not good enough.

I was eyeing up the DBS mod and i was wondering if the panel is only available to buy from USA or can i get it over here in the UK? Also, is there a specific model number or version of the DBS panel i need to get or are they all the same?

I've heard people mention another type of upgrade, FPV(with some more letters on the end something or another) Is that better than the DBS?

I know there is lots of threads about this but as a pretty enthusiastic tinkerer i wanted to get the info right before i take the plunge and make things worse or waste some money.

I know it may or may not add range for me but when that signal lost/video signal lost message pops up it takes all the fun out of it for me, surely it's worth a try.

I know i could get Litchi and let it do the range for me but i like having control to perfectly frame up my photos etc.

go with dbs and you will be happy

Reactions: dirkclod
Stock, I was able to get 700m in a semi-rural area
After DBS I could get 1600m in the same area

I would recommend DBS and it should be available in the UK. Check out www.maxxuav.eu

In the meantime you might want to experiment with the DIY parabolic windsurfer antennas. DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

Stock, I was able to get 700m in a semi-rural area
After DBS I could get 1600m in the same area

I would recommend DBS and it should be available in the UK. Check out www.maxxuav.eu

In the meantime you might want to experiment with the DIY parabolic windsurfer antennas. DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

I wish i could just get to 700m with my dbs mod installed. Before the mod i was getting about 350m and id lose signal/range. Now with the DBS i can get to about 600m before i lose signal. Im not very happy at all with it. Was expecting more. To be fair though i am in a pretty dense residential area. Havent tried it yet out in a wide open area. I will this weekend.

I'm in the country with little to no interference .
After I saw how dirty bum had his TX on a tripod I started sitting down on
a 5 gallon bucket with the TX in my lap steady and can do this easy here
IMG_5568.PNG Location is everything unless your using bad cables or have
something else wrong .I can go till the battery makes me come back .
That was from yesterday evening .

Yea i had a feeling it was pretty much all do to my location. I was just hoping to get a little more out of it. I know i have everything wired correctly. I guess it could be bad cables. I'll know for sure this weekend where ill be away from any source of interference. If i dont get to at least 4000ft with this I'm breaking it back open.

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
Well I have had bad cables before and when I changed them it made all the difference .
When I buy them I usually get about 3 sets just to have them in case .
With my 4K the longest I got was 20K but that was all I could get with just one battery.
But like I said that was in the country in a big hollow with hills on both sides .
It stopped at 1% battery by me .To bad I was still 40' up .
cry baby.gif

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
I wish i could just get to 700m with my dbs mod installed. Before the mod i was getting about 350m and id lose signal/range. Now with the DBS i can get to about 600m before i lose signal. Im not very happy at all with it. Was expecting more. To be fair though i am in a pretty dense residential area. Havent tried it yet out in a wide open area. I will this weekend.

Yeah definitely change locations !! You have almost doubled your range so I wouldn't say that's anything to complain about yet.... I'm guessing once you get to a location with less interference you may find you can crack that 700m mark !!

Let me know what happens when you fly this weekend !! :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: dirkclod
Good grief, I'm only reaching 250m stock even in the middle of nowhere! Such a shame. Other than the range I love it. It's super addictive!

I think I'll go for the DBS and see how i get on. If it doesn't work I'll sell it on I guess.

One thing I would like to know is how does the DBS work? Is it just a different signal shape or does the DBS boost it?

Sent from my Hudl 2 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The stock antennas are omni directional (imagine a lightbulb) .. And the DBS is like a spotlight. It focuses all that signal ( light) into a focused beam. Allowing you to fly (see) further

Reactions: STAINLESS
Yeah definitely change locations !! You have almost doubled your range so I wouldn't say that's anything to complain about yet.... I'm guessing once you get to a location with less interference you may find you can crack that 700m mark !!

Let me know what happens when you fly this weekend !! :)

Took it out to my Aunts today and where she lives there is very minimal interference. Was able to get out all the way to 6500ft before i decided to turn around. Much better results than my 1800ft and then i would lose signal. Ive now come to realize its all about location location location!! Thanks for the info.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav