Spark vs Breeze

Reaction score
I think comparing the Spark to a Mavic is unrealistic. It's best competitor is the Yuneec Breeze.

Both have similar specs:

1080p digital stabilized video, although the Breeze has 4K unstabilized video.

12mp for the Spark, 13mp for the Breeze on still images. Both shoot Jpeg only, no RAW.

Neither comes with a controller. Breeze comes with 2 batteries and costs $100-150 less.

What's the real advantage of spending more money on the Spark? I'm not convinced it's worth the money. If all you want is a portable selfie drone, seems like the Breeze is just as good for less money.

Not trying to start a brand war between DJI and Yuneec, simply trying to understand why the Spark is so much more money.

Why do people pay more for a MacBook Pro than for an Acer Inspire laptop even though the specs are similar? The look and feel of the product, the fancy marketing and a smooth, well designed platform from with intuitive features and controls? I ordered a spark because I wanted something I could bring with me without lugging my giant phantom hard shell backpack. With the controller the spark has more similarities with a phantom than with the breeze.

I get that. Most comparisons I've seen put the Spark up against the Mavic. That's like comparing a Ferrari to a Chevy. They both do the same thing, but not at the same level.

It makes more sense to compare it to the Breeze. That's what I want to see. I don't have a Breeze or a Spark, so if I were interested in buying one, I'd need to see images and videos shot with both to decide which I'd buy.

The reality for me is that until either one of these can shoot still images in RAW, I'll look at buying a Mavic.

Reactions: macoman
The only advantages of the spark its that will have a controller, which will expand the range to 1.2 km but it cost $150 more and also can fly inside of your home without issues. I saw the other day a video of the spark flying inside and it's just a steady and stable machine. It will not move at all. But I am personally not interested. I have a P3S and I am very happy with it. My next one if I can will be a P3 advanced.

Yep. If you want to remote it's more money. If you want a 2nd battery as well, you're looking at $200 more, $700 total. That puts it almost twice the price of the Breeze.

These selfie drones aren't made for distance flying. If that's the goal, the Mavic is much better suited.

I guess there's a market for both. That's the beauty of a free market.

Reactions: macoman
$1299.00 Mavic Pro fly more combo = 4K video, 3 axis gimbal, 5+km range, 28 min flight time 2 batteries, carry case, charger, extra props

$699.00 Spark with controller = 2k video, 2 axis gimbal, 2km range, optical sensor for indoor flight and obstacle avoidance, gesture control, 16 min. Flight time 2 batteries, carry case, charger, extra props.

$379.99 Uneek Breeze = 4K video, no stabilization, 120m range, no controller, ground censor for indoor flight, 10-11min flight times, 2 batteries, props, charger.

The videos taken by the Breeze will be shaky and unusable, but also 4K so you'll need 2x the memory to save them. Also, I read somewhere that it seemingly takes for ever for the Breeze to boot up and link with phone. The Breeze is a selfie drone. The spark is a legit photography drone disguised as a selfie drone.

$379.99 Uneek Breeze = 4K video, no stabilization, 120m range, no controller, ground censor for indoor flight, 10-11min flight times, 2 batteries, props, charger.

Hi, i have Breeze and it was big mistake to buy it and waste of money - every firmware and app make it even worse, just check yuneecpilots.com forum.
120m range - not true, In app geofencing is 80m height and 100m range, but it just dream and reality is about 60m if you are lucky. Only when you use USB powered WiFi extender/router geofence range is possible in open range..
Photo and video quality is like from low-mid end cell phone (i i knew this before buy, so it is ok), and due bugs in controlling app or firmware there is not possibility to set EV or WB for camera, so escpecially at evening bad EV and WB is almost every time...
10-11 minutes is true but 2 batteries are included in US retail package, EU package is only with one..

At this moment i waiting for more info (photo/video samples) about Spark Fly more combo (EU version) and deciding between Spark and Mavic.

As result Yuneec is on ban list for me. Especially due bad support of this device...

Hi, i have Breeze and it was big mistake to buy it and waste of money - every firmware and app make it even worse, just check yuneecpilots.com forum.
120m range - not true, In app geofencing is 80m height and 100m range, but it just dream and reality is about 60m if you are lucky. Only when you use USB powered WiFi extender/router geofence range is possible in open range..
Photo and video quality is like from low-mid end cell phone (i i knew this before buy, so it is ok), and due bugs in controlling app or firmware there is not possibility to set EV or WB for camera, so escpecially at evening bad EV and WB is almost every time...
10-11 minutes is true but 2 batteries are included in US retail package, EU package is only with one..

At this moment i waiting for more info (photo/video samples) about Spark Fly more combo (EU version) and deciding between Spark and Mavic.

As result Yuneec is on ban list for me. Especially due bad support of this device...
Wow, it appears to be that almost all drone manufacturers have crappy support. I love my DJI drone but I also recognize that DJI support sucks.

Reactions: jcommisso
Dji's mechanical stabilization vs Breeze/parrot software image stabilization.
This is where the money is at. The camera on the Breeze/Parrot are fixed 1 axis manually adjusted cameras. When you use the Breeze image stabilization, it crops so heavily that you see black bars on the left and right of the screen making the software stabilised video unusable. Cropping and using software stabilisation does horrid things to your video, especially with colouring when the lens is hit by the sun directly. There is much more abnormality in video as certain objects look distorted from software trying to "guess" shapes and the rolling shutter does not help.

Also, DJI makes very good cameras. The Spark has a 5 element camera that makes the image crisp and has a decent Fstop to capture low light.

Thanks. That's what I was wondering, and what would make the price difference worth it. The camera would be the priority for me. I'm waiting for someone to do an actual comparison in YouTube.

I like this question. I ask similar questions. The answers given are on point and I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer without being mean. Too many forums or groups get mean.

Reactions: Guzziknight
I keep looking at selfie style drones since DJI sparked up, i like the look of the Wingsland S6 but keep seeing mixed reports also another that at least appears to fly well is the Xiro explorer mini

I have a Breeze and I am active in a few of the user groups and can tell you that everything “wrong” with the Breeze is fixed with the Spark. To be clear, when I say ‘wrong’, I mean reoccurring pain points with ownership; overall the Breeze is a good drone that I like, but it has its flaws.

1) Battery life is too short. Self-explanatory, however it’s made worse by the shear amount of plastic on the Breeze battery that should have been actual battery cell that could have given it a longer flight time. The batteries are also ‘dumb’, which is not necessarily bad, but I have become spoiled by batteries that manage themselves.

2) No Gimbal. The Breeze takes great photos (within it's scope) but stabilized video never looks as good as a proper gimbal. The pitching the software does to keep the image smooth results in blotchy pixels in certain situations, especially sweeping shots.

3) Range. Varies by device, and I can hit all the geofence limits with an iPhone 7 plus. However, many cannot even get that far. I think this is more Wi-Fi in general and not the Breeze in specifics. I think DJI is smart in hedging their bet with the optional controller. [The Breeze does have a controller, but it is a Bluetooth connection to your device that is still using Wi-Fi to communicate with the drone.]

4) Telemetry. This is one that means more to me than some. All the data one gets used to with DJI Go or Go4 is nowhere in the Breeze Cam software. Mapping, useable flight records, flight time left, etc. I can understand that these may not be needed in a selfie-drone, but competitors (such as the Spark) are including these things and they are useful, even if just to get you interested in what you want in your *next* drone.

5) Smart features. This is the biggest one, and the hardest to explain. DJI Go (and Go4) advise you, the pilot, to the state of your aircraft. It's written from the point of view that you, the human pilot, is in charge and we’re supporting you. The Breeze and its app are written from the point of view that you are an idiot and should not be trusted with flying. Virtually any message that pops up while flying results in an automatic landing. Not good if you’re flying over water! If the flow sensor can’t see because it’s on a dark surface, it won’t take off. Users result to bringing a piece of paper with them to launch from. I was flying over a field where it threw a compass error and auto landed. It was not a catastrophe, but there was zero interaction possible, it just notified me via the app and then landed. It may just be me, but I have concerns about flying something that I'm clearly not in control of.

6) Pack size. This really shouldn't be on here, but let me illustrate something quickly.
20170519_114510733_iOS.jpg

Left: DJI Mavic, controller, four batteries, charging hub, power adapter, spare props, car charger, power bank adapter, assorted cables, multiple micro SD cards.
Right: Yuneec Breeze in its travel kit with three batteries. No prop guards, no battery charger, just the drone and three batteries.

I've not seen the Spark kit in person, but the Mavic packs down smaller, with more gear, than the Breeze. I think it would be safe to assume the Spark will pack down even smaller than the Mavic.

Well, also the Spark has hand gestures, and can recognize your face, along with palm takeoff and object avoidance, and also folds. Also it has better better battery live by a few minutes.

I agreed that the spark is an awesome drone, however with the remote control, it cost as much as an phantom 3 advanced and I rather purchase the phantom 3 advanced. You get more range, better quality video and more time to enjoy flying. The spark is excellent if you prefer something very small and easy to carry.

I have a Phantom 3 Pro. I want something portable that I can easily carry on my motorcycle. The Mavic seems to be the best choice, I just have to save up the money.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers