Spare MR?

Reaction score
After reading all the horror stories about crashes, I wonder whether if it is wise to buy a less expensive MR just for practising or indoor flying?
This weekend my P3A almost crashed after hitting a small hanging branch. I was flying with prop guards at a challenging location. It was close to the ground, so no real damages (only a prop), but I could have easily lost it.
I am thinking about buying a much lighter and cheaper spare MR.

Any recommendations and tips?

We all have challenges and we all make mistakes. I also hit s branch and down she came the other day. I have been flying for years and I failed to make my altitude while trying to fly out from my yard. Yep pilot error and stupidity. Had I been flying another cheaper craft I would have done the same thing so what's the difference. Fixed my props and went on to video as planned. Just fly and enjoy. Errors are going to happen regardless.

Reactions: rene van der meer
Reactions: Bret Lucas
I really dont think flying another airframe is going to help at all. It wont be anything like a P3. It would be like using a bicycle to practice to a driving test. Sure.. spacial orientation might be a place to start growing. But the transition to a larger, more capable, yet far more stable and automated airframe is going to like starting all over again. The simulator isn't terrible, but only if you fly close so you can see whats happening. Just my 2 cents though

I have the HH NanoQX and 4 other DJI from the P3P through the S800.

Yes they all fly a bit differently, the QX has no GPS or smart mode. But I find I can train someone to fly it in about 3 minutes. Not everyone, but most new to RC.

I do believe that flying a $60.00 MR will make you better with the bigger ones as well. I also think working on orientation and flying w/o the APP and in ATTI will make you a much better pilot.

So my nickel says absolutely try a small cheap one, you will learn a lot. Muscle memory and figuring out orientation, not to mention how wind effects an aircraft. You can also fly these tiny MRs inside and crash them pretty hard w/o anything (including MR) not breaking. Just don't get it stuck in your significant others hair, ask me how I know...

You can put anyone behind the controls of a P3 in home lock and they will be flying in seconds. And they will be getting pics of what they want to get pics of in miniutes. I totally agree with the value of learning to fly without all the aids. But a new pilot is far better off flying with them.

My friend loves flying his p2v+ i built for him for a starter quad. He decided to racing maneuvers that are usually done with 250's , crashed head on into a pole! After rebuilding we discussed for those type of practice/playtime maneuvers to pick up a cheap busted p2 or p2v+ with no camera for 100-300$ on e-bay & practice with a quad that has the same feel & u can crash ghe hell out of and rebuild! Otherwise with a different craft you really do not get practice that you need to be better with your phantom

I learned on small v911 heli and Hubsan 107, it definitely helps with getting the memory muscles to learn the sticks, and much easier and Cheaper to fix when crashes. Although I love my 250 and Phantom size quads, I still occasionally get the little ones out just to mess around or fly indoors and small areas without causing everyone to run outside and see what I is.

Reactions: Corvette595
I learned on small v911 heli and Hubsan 107, it definitely helps with getting the memory muscles to learn the sticks, and much easier and Cheaper to fix when crashes. Although I love my 250 and Phantom size quads, I still occasionally get the little ones out just to mess around or fly indoors and small areas without causing everyone to run outside and see what I is.
I aggree, I have a Hubsan that I fly for the same reassons.

We all have challenges and we all make mistakes. I also hit s branch and down she came the other day. I have been flying for years and I failed to make my altitude while trying to fly out from my yard. Yep pilot error and stupidity. Had I been flying another cheaper craft I would have done the same thing so what's the difference. Fixed my props and went on to video as planned. Just fly and enjoy. Errors are going to happen regardless.
the problem is that you were flying out of your yard.
fly in big open fields and you won't be hitting anything.

I have several small quads for indoor practice, good for rainy days. I'm a believer that if you can fly those proficiently, you'll be an expert with a Phantom. It will certainly hone your orientation skills to the max, you won't be so complacent while flying. And if you need to fly the Phantom in ATTI, you'll be a master, assuming you have LOS. My most recent indoor quad is a total blast, and virtually indestructible, the Inductrix from Blade. Very fun to fly, and safe.

This weekend I have ordered a Hubsan X4 V2/H107L which is only 80x80 mm. With prop guards. I am looking forward to trying it out.
Thanks for the advice.

Have you explored the idea or ask opinions wether prop guards actually make it harder to fly and more unstable!! Imo
Even on husban's & smaller craft.
The only time i crashed a phantom with NO explanation was with props landing it was ustable and flying wasnt much better.

Have you explored the idea or ask opinions wether prop guards actually make it harder to fly and more unstable!! Imo
Even on husban's & smaller craft.
The only time i crashed a phantom with NO explanation was with props landing it was ustable and flying wasnt much better.
Dirtybum. Do you mean landing with prop guards?
I have no experience with a Hubsan. I have flown my P3A with prop guards. I did not experience much difference.
Are smaller crafts more sensitive to this?

for me having small inside Quads has helped allot the confidence of control, mostly just practice moving around with the quad in different positions and getting feeling of what to do with things start going wrong, sometimes the best action is the opposite of what you normally do. I have a large living room so I have the Syma X5C-1, it also works well out side even if a little wind.

The only time i had a phantom lose control on descend from propwash was with guards. Havent used em since and naver had probs before i tried em. Thats just one guys experience though

After reading all the horror stories about crashes, I wonder whether if it is wise to buy a less expensive MR just for practising or indoor flying?
This weekend my P3A almost crashed after hitting a small hanging branch. I was flying with prop guards at a challenging location. It was close to the ground, so no real damages (only a prop), but I could have easily lost it.
I am thinking about buying a much lighter and cheaper spare MR.

Any recommendations and tips?

I got a gift from my wife, it won't crash :). Enclosed in a protective cage. Costs $19.99 at Costco.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448899199.191522.jpg

Reactions: Donw35
I had to trim the RC before I could fly it. The good thing was that it was hanging on a thread during trimming. :) it's perfectly tuned now and is giving great fun inside house.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20