Southern Virginia

Sand bridge Beach Sunrise this morning

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: J&L
Nice video. Are you using any filters or sun hood. Sand bridge is long drive for me from Suffolk. Can we fly down at the oceanfront?

No filters or hood. Not sure about the oceanfront, I think you can. I have flown in Va Beach not far from it less than 4 miles from the strip. Sand Bridge was nice though

Looks like oceana naval air station kills any chance of flying at the oceanfront. image.png

I have the latest firmware for DJI and I am able to take off. It's not a no fly zone more of a be careful Zone

That was taken off the official FAA B4UFLY app. I was under the impression that the 5 mile radius around a military base is a complete NFZ. From the ground up. I would just like to take a few flights down by rudee inlet. Nags Head would be good aerials too.

I have seen a ton of people flying at the oceanfront. Honestly I stay between 200 or less in these areas just to be safe

Maybe we can have some good weather one weekend and I'll take my son down there and get up in the air before tourist season.

Live in Savannah GA but have a place in Currituck NC on the sound (12 miles south of the VA line) not there much during the winter but once spring rolls around would like to meet up!

What's happening?
Have not heard from the group.
I thought of checking with you guys after coming back from travel.
Have you guys met since?
Good weather coming up this weekend. Let me know if you guys are hovering.

Probably won't make it there til end of March beginning of April :-((

New guy here. Just picked up a p3p last week. I live in portsmouth/western branch area. Work on the Peninsula. And almost every weekend down in Currituck or obx at my families. I am new to flying so it would be cool to get up with yall and learn some stuff. Anyone meeting up anytime soon?
Here is a shot I got the other day of the m&m bridge tunnel

Attachments

• 1456277903818.jpg
    1456277903818.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 365
nice! Have place on Currituck Sound, 6 houses down from the Ferry dock, will be up once it gets warmer!

Wow awesome photo. I live in southern Suffolk. Been wanting venture out from flying by the house. Just scared cause of all the rules and airport rules. Want to fly at the ocean front.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wow awesome photo. I live in southern Suffolk. Been wanting venture out from flying by the house. Just scared cause of all the rules and airport rules. Want to fly at the ocean front.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

J&L,

I was here last Sunday before sunset but was drizzling a bit.

Google Maps.

it is located at the ocean front just outside of FAA B4UFly NFZs.

I'll try again on this Saturday before sunrise. Hope you guys can join me.

It's been a while since I checked in. Can't fly this weekend (2/27-2/28) too busy with Boy/Cub Scouts and other things.

Let me address the VaBeach thing: I've had conversations with NAS Oceana ATC Facility Officer, and he is firm that there are no authorized UAS operations in their Class 'D' airspace. Here's a direct quote from his email:

"Our policy of no UAS operations within five miles of NAS Oceana is still in place. As you may know, our Class Delta (SFC-2,500') is active 24/7, 365. We currently have no agreements with anyone (DOD, private citizen or commercial operator) to operate within five miles of the airport.
I encourage you to remain in touch and I'm always available to answer any further questions that you may have."

In a phone conversation I had with him, he said that he was aware of many violators flying their quads in their airspace (particularly during the East Coast Surfing Championship, filming surfers). He said it was upwards of 20 at one point. He mentioned that fines and penalties were steep for violators, but he didn't give any details on enforcement or efforts to enforce. He also mentioned a case where Wavy TV 10 wanted to fly in their airspace, but they quickly abandoned that effort.

As much as I'd like to fly at VaBeach, I'm staying out of the Class 'D' airspace, and will continue to work with Oceana to figure out how to do this legitimately. So my next question to him will be--what about OLF Fentress? Fentress is NOT a Class 'D' airspace, and it certainly isn't 24/7/365. I will be pursuing giving notification to Oceana for sUAS operations outside of typical OLF active days. I will let you know what agreements I can get.

My goal in all of this is to figure out how to safely and legitimately fly inside of 5 miles from an airport. It can be done. I don't want policies like Oceana's to become the accepted norm. By the strictest interpretation of the rules, I can't fly even 50 feet above a field if it is within 5 miles of an airport. The lampposts are higher! ATC's need to consider and respect those who are trying to properly coordinate with the tower, especially if they want to have any teeth going after violators. Just my sense of things. I'll keep you posted.
--H

Reactions: J&L
I figured with NAS being that close would kill any flying at the oceanfront. Our only area to fly in is Sandbridge or just south of Ft Story at the ocean front. And from what I understand is you cant fly within 5miles of a military installation correct me if I'm wrong please. I work at NNSY and they have policies up on all the bulletin boards saying you can't fly within 5 mile radius of the shipyard.

I'll be here @ 3790 Sandpiper Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23456, this Saturday, 5PM til dark.
Hope to see you there.

Air Kuld, not a great day to fly tomorrow...
I would like to meet up with some others in the area. I love Bennett's Creek Park in Suffolk. There at least twice a week.

Reactions: air kuld
Air Kuld, not a great day to fly tomorrow...
I would like to meet up with some others in the area. I love Bennett's Creek Park in Suffolk. There at least twice a week.

That's right up the street from me. Never thought about flying there. Pretty good views?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20