Sounds like...200ft flying for us

Why do they care if their drones have avoidance technology liken to that of a horse? Lol

Feels like this is still a good few years from reality at this time but it is interesting, I cant see this working in urban areas, maybe makes sense in suburban and remote spots, seems unreasonable for a single company to dictate rules for country wide airspace. I guess if it was successful there will be FedEx and UPS drones pretty quickly too though.

Still way too many safety concerns.

Won't see this this decade.

Amazon seems to forget about the kite flyers. I fly a kite sometimes 3 to 4 hundred feet in the air. I don't think their delivery drone could possibly see the string that is attached to a kite. It would be kind of like those blimps they used in WWll to protect the beaches.

Reactions: Azmopic
They might be able to develop good enough obstacle avoidance technology in the future, but one thing I never hear listed as a potential problem is birds. I was attempting to film down a small river in Stroudsburg, PA last July at 250 ft when a flock of Swallows flew up from their nesting areas and swarmed my Phantom. Did everything I could to try to shake them off and eventually land. I think any commercial delivery system is going to run into this same type of problem. And just wait until Amazon drones start injuring birds. And I'm sure you'll see the rise of "pirate drones" trying to knock the delivery drones out of the sky to collect their bounty. I highly doubt if the Amazon drones venture will ever work as hoped.

Love to see commercial interests dictating to government agencies...... oh wait, no I don't.......
Cant wait to see how much graft gets into legislators hands to make the big players into the only players.
Still, this is probably going to be a while. These big boys know that in order to get your way with the American people you fly low and slow......

I was attempting to film down a small river in Stroudsburg, PA last July at 250 ft when a flock of Swallows flew up from their nesting areas and swarmed my Phantom. Did everything I could to try to shake them off and eventually land.

Map,

You've got that right...

Jerry

Unfortunately this government is all about following the money and Amazon has a ton of it. This I'm sure will be a huge debate sooner than later. However this country is slower than most on embracing any policy when it comes to technology. So, I expect to see Drone deliveries in Japan or China before here.

Some how this does not surprise me.

Amazon seems to forget about the kite flyers. I fly a kite sometimes 3 to 4 hundred feet in the air. I don't think their delivery drone could possibly see the string that is attached to a kite. It would be kind of like those blimps they used in WWll to protect the beaches.

Sounds like a fun hobby. Fly Fishing for Amazon drones. Free stuff? Heh :)

Map, You've got that right...Jerry

Yep. Just like my experience -- except I tried to get away and they just kept strafing me as I ran. I felt like a Goodyear blimp trying to out-maneuver a team of Blue Angels.

Seems like we may not have any airspace left if it were up to the Kentucky Drone Slayer and Amazon. Amazon wants us to stay under 200' while the KDS wants us higher and not over property.

Seems like we may not have any airspace left if it were up to the Kentucky Drone Slayer and Amazon. Amazon wants us to stay under 200' while the KDS wants us higher and not over property.

Honestly, I am not too mad at KDS. If my granddaughters (especially when they get to be teens) are out in the back yard sunning themselves in a "private area" (meaning privacy fenced) and your drone comes buzzing into my back yard to take pictures of them, well, your drone is gonna catch a severe case of lead poisoning too and good luck getting the parts back. There is no excuse for someone's drone, mine included, to be in or over at low altitudes over private property low enough to see under a patio. Especially with kids involved. Sorry, but there are just too many pervs out there. Not sayin anyone here is nor sayin that the drone pilot(s) in the KDS case were, but just sayin. How would we know whats going to happen to the images it takes in that scenario?

If the girls were down at a public beach, thats a whole other matter. They are in the public space and have no expectation of privacy. None of us do. In our own back yard, behind a privacy fence does constitute an expectation of privacy.

"You know, when you’re in your own property, within a six-foot privacy fence, you have the expectation of privacy," he said. "We don't know if he was looking at the girls. We don’t know if he was looking for something to steal. To me, it was the same as trespassing."

And thats exactly how I feel about it too.

If its up hundred feet or so flying past my back yard, hell I will wave as it goes by, got no issues with that. Its clearly transiting the area going somewhere else. That a different scenario than what appears to have happened in the KDS case. They didn't fly over. They stopped for a peek. Quite a few according to him and the neighbors. Whole different ball 'o twine right there.

I am a gun owner, guess you figured that out. I also have pre-teen and teen granddaughters, younger ones are living with us. And I have a drone(quad copter, whatever you want to call it, P3 CAN fly autonomously so to me that makes it a drone). So I got a pretty good view from all the sides here.

As far as Amazon is concerned. They can stuff it. I can't wait until the first set of yahoos decide to fly balloons or kites with nets strung between them. It will happen. Just watch.

If Amazon wants to make the case they are a commercial enterprise and these flights are commercial, then they ought to have to follow the same rules as other commercial aircraft. >500'. Have to contact control towers. Get clearances. File flight plans. And they must avoid all the same NFZ's WE must avoid. ALL of it should apply. If that happens, then the drone delivery will NEVER get off the ground because, guess what? Most of the areas they wish to serve, that being larger cities, have big airports with big NFZs. Just look what happened to us with DJI's geofencing recently.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj