Sound while flying?

Reaction score
How do you hear the sound while flying? I understand it will be 90% rotors and props, but I was just curious because I've heard it on some videos that have been posted before.

The cameras have no sound recording.

The ones you have heard are go pros which do.

It's more than 90% and it's on videos from Gopro fliers.
A gopro can be used off a quadcopter so it has sound recording.
DJI were smart enough to understand that there's no point including sound on a dedicated quadcopter camera.
A lot of gopro fliers don't understand that there's no point including their audio.

I think some of the ground level noise you hear on some clips have to be done while editing.
As I don't believe that little gopro mic has the capability of picking up sound form 300 feet or more away.
Specially when rotor noise would drown it out.

Meta4 said:
It's more than 90% and it's on videos from Gopro fliers.
A gopro can be used off a quadcopter so it has sound recording.
DJI were smart enough to understand that there's no point including sound on a dedicated quadcopter camera.
A lot of gopro fliers don't understand that there's no point including their audio.

I can say for one who is more a hobbyist, enthusiast and experienced r/c pilot than photographer, the audio can provide clues to system performance and other in-flight occurrences.

Besides it's easy enough to remove in post-production.

P2V's don't have a mic, indeed.
Those of us with non-Vision, GoPro models do indeed get sound with our recordings, but there's nothing other than the buzz of the rotors. Indeed sometimes this sound can be used to troubleshoot issues.

Any time you see a video taken from a Phantom where you can hear anything other than the rotor buzz, the author of the video has done some artful editing. For example some people will have a mic on the ground recording ambient audio, then mix it in to the video... sometimes they even sync it up with the video, usually not.
For example I took some car videos recently and now that I have 2 gopros (3+ and 4) I put one gopro in the engine bay and used it's recording for sound, while the other gopro in the cabin I used the video

Reactions: John N Kronyak

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj