Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Sound while flying?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaywoodz, Oct 29, 2014.

1. jaywoodz

How do you hear the sound while flying? I understand it will be 90% rotors and props, but I was just curious because I've heard it on some videos that have been posted before.

2. robinb

The cameras have no sound recording.

The ones you have heard are go pros which do.

3. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

It's more than 90% and it's on videos from Gopro fliers.
    A gopro can be used off a quadcopter so it has sound recording.
    DJI were smart enough to understand that there's no point including sound on a dedicated quadcopter camera.
    A lot of gopro fliers don't understand that there's no point including their audio.

4. Suwaneeguy

I think some of the ground level noise you hear on some clips have to be done while editing.
    As I don't believe that little gopro mic has the capability of picking up sound form 300 feet or more away.
    Specially when rotor noise would drown it out.

5. N017RW

I can say for one who is more a hobbyist, enthusiast and experienced r/c pilot than photographer, the audio can provide clues to system performance and other in-flight occurrences.

Besides it's easy enough to remove in post-production.

6. QYV

QYV

P2V's don't have a mic, indeed.
    Those of us with non-Vision, GoPro models do indeed get sound with our recordings, but there's nothing other than the buzz of the rotors. Indeed sometimes this sound can be used to troubleshoot issues.

Any time you see a video taken from a Phantom where you can hear anything other than the rotor buzz, the author of the video has done some artful editing. For example some people will have a mic on the ground recording ambient audio, then mix it in to the video... sometimes they even sync it up with the video, usually not.
    For example I took some car videos recently and now that I have 2 gopros (3+ and 4) I put one gopro in the engine bay and used it's recording for sound, while the other gopro in the cabin I used the video

John N Kronyak likes this.