Sorry for adding fuel to the fire guys (got my first shell crack)

The actual strongest repair would probably be a mesh or thin line wrapped around it (if line, a number of times) and then painted with epoxy. But I'm a big believer in not overdoing things so I will do nothing until I get big cracks and probably something simple when I do (although cloth and epoxy are simple).

Edit - white sail rigging tape is pretty cool stuff - it's flexible, white, sticks to itself and comes off easy when you want it to.
http://www.amazon.com/MDR-MDR013-108-RIGGING-TAPE/dp/B000XBCUX6/

Just took a careful look at mine and after 42 flights there is one small crack on one of the rear arms. I eased off on all the t8 torx screws a tiny bit but they weren't all that tight. I had never opened the shell. ****. I did have a problem with my P2V+ after about 160 flights and swapped out the shell for my older P2V shell. Same as this time - no crashes, hand catches only. I wish they had designed it slightly thicker and better. Trying to save grams I guess.

I'm still sticking to super glue on the arm ends. Almost invisible repair and still holding strong after weeks of flying. It has worked so well that I did the same to a brand new in box P3 that I keep just in case.
20150630_091844.jpg

Last edited:
Only issue I see is what if you have to get inside for any reason, you might destroy your shell in the process. Wouldn't a better solution be something that can be removed without any possible damage.

I like your use of felt below the zip tie. I didn't.View attachment 24865

I put the felt there to try to avoid marking up the shell when I cut off the zip ties. I don't have any cracks yet but when they do come (or I sell it) I want to send it to DJI without any marks. You'll be fine without the felt though, just need to go slower cutting the ties off.

This is assuming I don't crash it and have it sink to the bottom of the ocean.

I like your dual gold tie method, it really "ties" the whole phantom together. We should get a sticky started showing off custom zip tie applications. Custom zip tie paint jobs, etc. ;)

Reactions: FredSheldon
No need to cut zip ties. Just lift the small tab with a knife or small screw driver.

My p3 has cracks on both rear arms already, never crashed...

With so many people reporting cracks, DJI should provide an improved replacement shell free of charge...

No need to cut zip ties. Just lift the small tab with a knife or small screw driver.

My p3 has cracks on both rear arms already, never crashed...

With so many people reporting cracks, DJI should provide an improved replacement shell free of charge...
DJI has stated that they will repair all units with cracks if it is determined that they are not user created. That's why they are requesting you send the unit in for repair.

and i'm supposed to wait 6-8 weeks for the whole process. not good... I'd rather they send me a shell and continue to provide warranty coverage after I replace it.

Really like the felt idea. Where did you buy it?

Also, I like how this thread keeps getting bumped. It just goes to show more and more people are reporting the same incident. Funny how the DJI reps in this forum have completely avoided this thread altogether. They are probably onto it now and know its not just the screws being too tight.

and i'm supposed to wait 6-8 weeks for the whole process. not good... I'd rather they send me a shell and continue to provide warranty coverage after I replace it.

Yea I can definitely not see that happening at all. I think the whole sending it in is just so the warranty doesnt get voided. I can see a whole different issue arrise if people are installing the shells themselves. The only reason I wont send mine away for 2 months is because they're still in denial that the shells were made weak in some areas. Which means they will replace it with the same exact shell quality which will have he same results.

Overall, I'm not bashing the company. This is a relatively small issue that will get resolved quickly. Lets face it, a few years ago there were no quads flying around.. To see how far and advance DJI keeps pushing the limit a small plastic defect wont hold them back. Things happen, this is one of them. Once more people are educated on this defect. DJI can stop approaching this as a % issue and approach it as an overall issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding a zip tie is no different than adding a gimbal guard. It's just something to protect your investment so you can keep flying. No need to send your unit in for repair unless you just don't like looking at those cracks :)

55 flights, 8hrs 5min. No cracks. I'm going to just fly her and inspect every flight. No crashes and mostly hand catch landings. But I'm ready with the zip ties.

55 flights, 8hrs 5min. No cracks. I'm going to just fly her and inspect every flight. No crashes and mostly hand catch landings. But I'm ready with the zip ties.

I backed off on my screws then I reinstalled the with a tiny drop of super clue to act as thread lock. I then used zip ties on all four ends. I'm hoping this keeps me from becoming a member of the "my Phantom has a crack" club. lol

I backed off on my screws then I reinstalled the with a tiny drop of super clue to act as thread lock. I then used zip ties on all four ends. I'm hoping this keeps me from becoming a member of the "my Phantom has a crack" club. lol

How many flights/hours do you have on yours?

I build DIY aircraft including multi and have 2 P2s. My P3Pro should come in a week. From the info I see here, I am going to make sure that the motors screws have fresh Loctite (blue) and are 'snug' but not tight. I let folks know if cracks show up.

I build DIY aircraft including multi and have 2 P2s. My P3Pro should come in a week. From the info I see here, I am going to make sure that the motors screws have fresh Loctite (blue) and are 'snug' but not tight. I let folks know if cracks show up.
Blue Loctite will melt plastic. It has something on it already from the factory. Reapplication is not needed

Reactions: Bill S
At first I was one of those firm believers that only few people encountered the cracks in shell problem. But, now after owning my P3P for only 2 months I have noticed my first crack too. Which makes me believe its only a matter of time before even more people will report it or just don't have the knowledge to check. I have over 100 flights on this P3 now so I wouldn't really say mine is defective. I would more call it vulnerable wear and tear. More people will report this problem guaranteed, not too sure what DJI plans on doing.

As far as the Phantom 3 and people who had or have cracks. Did you stop flying once you noticed the crack? Mine is very very small compared to others where I noticed some people had holes or crack across the entire motor shelling. Whats the risk you take for flying with these cracks? Will it really make a difference?
Am I out of a Phantom for 8 weeks now and hoping they repair or replace it? Whats the next step?

grY9DbO.jpg

I have 2 cracks also. Sent an email to DJI. Told them I would replace the shell, just send me one. Haven't heard from them other than the usual log #.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic