Sorry for adding fuel to the fire guys (got my first shell crack)

I'm curious if there's a common factor among those who are experiencing the cracks - eg serial numbers, purchase date...etc.

I've just inspected my P3 Advanced and fortunately didn't note any cracks. I am also running quick disconnect prop guards - not sure if that helping stave off the cracking or not...?

Mark.

Last edited:
I'm curious if there's a common factor among those who are experiencing the cracks - eg serial numbers, purchase date...etc.

I've just inspected my P3 Advanced and fortunately didn't note any cracks. I am also running quick disconnect prop guards - not sure if that helping stave off the cracking or not...?

Mark.

Not really sure.. But, what I can say is it took my P3 a little over 100 flights to start seeing cracks so if you dont see any on yours yet, doesn't mean it wont happen.

Hi everyone, my opinion is this cracks maybe also cause by long term vibration of the motor due to unbalance motor hub and the stock blades..

Can anyone check about this matter, you will need Du-bro balancer..

Hi everyone, my opinion is this cracks maybe also cause by long term vibration of the motor due to unbalance motor hub and the stock blades..

Possibly. I was thinking of getting a balancer - what is the thread size for the P3 props?

I checked mine in the garage the other day. I don't have any appreciable vibration in mine. It's pretty darn stead. Even flying it the other day, it was at eye level and it was pretty solid. If you are able to take the arm and rotated it side to side and get movement (other than just a little bit) then I think you will eventually have issues. I've noticed that there is a screw under the arm in the middle that you can firm up and it will help with rotation of the arm.

I use Gorilla Duct tape:

20150702_103311.jpg

Yup and yup.

Most who have them will not yet be aware, it was only until I saw the one of he 'silly' threads that I checked myself. Before that I was only ever doing a cursory check of the props.

There are 45 who supposedly have cracks in this thread alone.http://forum.dji.com/thread-23532-1-1.html People have since stated that they have found the cracks having first voted that they hadn't.

But the DJI reps (who don't have the cracks - they add) have scoffed at the poll.
DJI reps must be flying craft made from unobtainium. The shell design, as I've posted before, is fine. It's all about material thickness. After all, the same idiots that allegedly overtighten the two arm screws are tightening the four inner screws which never fail. Why? Because there is enough material thickness there. But not at the arm ends. A hair more thickness on the inside of the arms where the screws go would go a very long way. DJI missed this opportunity when the new molds were made and now wish that these threads would go away.

DJI reps must be flying craft made from unobtainium. The shell design, as I've posted before, is fine. It's all about material thickness. After all, the same idiots that allegedly overtighten the two arm screws are tightening the four inner screws which never fail. Why? Because there is enough material thickness there. But not at the arm ends. A hair more thickness on the inside of the arms where the screws go would go a very long way. DJI missed this opportunity when the new molds were made and now wish that these threads would go away.

They still have a chance to redeem this. But, as I stated they need to stop being in denial and take action.

They still have a chance to redeem this. But, as I stated they need to stop being in denial and take action.
If "they" means the techs, they can't do much other than convey information. If you mean "they" means DJI HQ, yes, they could do something different. They want to maintain control over who gets a replacement. So you have to send it in. But what they could do is release shells, so people have another choice.

Does anyone know if DJI is actually fixing the shell geometry to address this issue? Because if they haven't fixed the mold then what does sending it in get you?

Has anyone tried this fix? It doesn't void the warranty and looks better than zip ties:

https://store.3drobotics.com/products/solo

I guess if I wanted to lose signal at 150 feet away I'd give that a try.
3DR wishes that cracked plastic was their only problem.....
Spending 70% more for 100% less is not a solution to a relatively small problem.....
If you want the Cliffs Notes, check out this post on sister site. GPS and R/C are weak, making it useless for the purpose it was designed for.
http://bit.ly/1RwNXaP

Does anyone know if DJI is actually fixing the shell geometry to address this issue? Because if they haven't fixed the mold then what does sending it in get you?

Good point.
That's why they study these things fairly deeply before coming up with a fix.

It could be the active braking and beefed up performance.
It could be mold issues.
It could even be plastic (compounding) issues.
It could be screw tightening...

It could be a comb of two of those.

It may be a PITA, but it doesn't stop most people from flying and taking pics and will likely be fixed one way or another for most all users who desire it.

But the DJI reps (who don't have the cracks - they add) have scoffed at the poll.

Whether it's 5% or 50% or 100% those internet polls don't count for much.
Someone with cracks will go on google and get right to that poll.
Those without (like myself - so far) do not even look at the poll.

Just saying - the forum reps are very informal opinions - the engineers at DJI are actually going to study the system and likely fix it. That happens behind the scenes...

Sending it in means 8 weeks wait time. But maybe it comes with free crazy glue for the cracks on the new shell.

Joking aside, it's unbelievable that these guys were in denial about phantom 2 cracks but had a chance to bulletproof the phantom 3. But no, they go and turn out a new shell that is still at its weakest at the motor area. Here is what I predict. They wont do a **** thing.

I tend to agree that the issue needs to be fixed at the factory. Putting on another shell, might buy you time. If I had a new shell, I'd reinforce it like I did and probably use the zip ties anyway. Until I get tired of flying it or ready to sell. I'd cut the ties and sell it in good shape. But the design needs to be changed.

Reactions: FredSheldon
Not really sure.. But, what I can say is it took my P3 a little over 100 flights to start seeing cracks so if you dont see any on yours yet, doesn't mean it wont happen.

Has anyone noted any common threads to the issue? Are Advanced and Pros both having issues? Are the cracks showing up at the same time e.g. 100 + flights...?

I'm well below a 100 flights at this point on my Advanced and haven't notes any cracks, as I stated before, I am using quick disconnect prop guards- which was speculated to help w/ adding stability to the arms.

Mark.

Here's a possible reason. When the phantom brakes, the rear motors separate the shell and bend the bottom shell down. The front motors cause the front of the phantom to raise. The motors strengthen and bring the bottom shell towards, instead of away from the upper shell

Good suggestion. Maybe we should tune the brake gain way back to reduce the stress?:)

Joking aside, it's unbelievable that these guys were in denial about phantom 2 cracks but had a chance to bulletproof the phantom 3. But no, they go and turn out a new shell that is still at its weakest at the motor area. Here is what I predict. They wont do a **** thing.

I've heard tell about P1 and P2 cracks but have had 2 of each machine (still have one of each) and not had the problem. I also followed a lot of forums and never saw a large quantity of folks who had them.

Not saying it didn't happen - just that it wasn't a problem in terms of % up until perhaps now.
DJI USA moved into a new (5X the size) facility this week. Hopefully they will get the service turnaround down as a result, but that's likely to take a while. First they have to find the exact problem.

Compared to the rest of the bird, the difficulty in finding what's wrong with a plastic shell should be quite easy. I'm not worried. I'd rather have the "better" shell they are likely to come up with than have one replaced soon with the same exact shell (mine isn't cracked anyway).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers