Sorry but, another crack thread

Reaction score
i was doing my pre-flight checks and noticed a small crack in the usual place on my P3A.

I purchased the P3A direct from DJI on the 19th May 2015. Does anyone know their latest policy on cracked arms? I'm getting an extension done which starts towards the end of Jan and really wanted to film the progress using the drone so if I send it off what's the chance of getting it back within a month? I'm in the UK if this makes a difference.

If this is unlikely is it a really stupid idea to try and wait for after the extension is complete? I'd be after roughly 20 10min flights.

Pics of the crack below, there is only one crack.

k53ld.jpg

ab5g5c.jpg

If this is unlikely is it a really stupid idea to try and wait for after the extension is complete? I'd be after roughly 20 10min flights.
If you're sure there are no other cracks, then it should be fine. Wrap a plastic zip tie around the arm if you're worried about it.

If you're sure there are no other cracks, then it should be fine. Wrap a plastic zip tie around the arm if you're worried about it.

How would a zip tie help in this case?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Slackware
Chris: Any chance you could point out the actual crack? Maybe it's my old eyes, but I don't see any fracture.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

How would a zip tie help in this case?
See the photo above. If you wrap a zip tie around the arm at that location, it would keep the arm securely closed -- even if that screw post completely breaks apart.

See the photo above. If you wrap a zip tie around the arm at that location, it would keep the arm securely closed -- even if that screw post completely breaks apart.
If the crack is not on the motor mounting screws and is on the screw near the arm, what you say might help. where is the actual crack, can't see with my old eyes :)

It's definitely cracked. You can see some of the plastic is missing in the first photo above.

It's definitely cracked. You can see some of the plastic is missing in the first photo above.

Almost looks like a collision crack or a defect like you had mentioned cuz there is actually a piece missing, hard to believe tbis could have happened from just normal use.. Unless.. Again, manufacturer defect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: alokbhargava
Almost looks like a collision crack or a defect like you had mentioned cuz there is actually a piece missing, hard to believe tbis could have happened from just normal use.. Unless.. Again, manufacturer defect.

Agree.

This crack is very typical of the cracks starting to appear about a year ago and since.

This crack is very typical of the cracks starting to appear about a year ago and since.

Sonof40 is correct. It's never been crashed/dropped/mistreated etc.
It's also never carried any extra weight (modded batteries etc) or anything that may put extra strain on it.

There have been many, many reports of P3's cracking in exactally this place with a few theories as to why (screws over tightened at the factory, a "bad" (brittle) batch of plastic etc)

As the crack is only around the screw that holds the top and bottom of the shell together I'll do what Msinger suggested and put a zip tie round the arm and wait until the extension is complete to send it in. I will of course be even more thorough with the pre-flight checks.

When I do send it in what can I expect?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20