Soon to be owner of Phantom Vision Plus

Reaction score
Hello folks. First time posting here.
For work, I need to learn how to fly quad and I thought this Phantom Vision Plus be easiest to learn how to fly.
I'm tech analyst & consultant and I have no flight experience. Since I didn't want my first flying & learning on Phantom be little expensive so I bought Hubsan H107C and been trying to learn. Is flying Phantom similar to it? Is it harder?

Thanks

I fly my Hubsan every day, love the little bugger. I think it's sort of similar, but the Phantom is way, way, way more stable in the sky. Like, very much more stable. Still though, the Hubsan has helped me immensely in getting confident with the Phantom. If you can fly the Hubsan, you'll have zero issues flying the Phantom.

When taking off with vPlus go full throttle the 1st 20ft and you will never have any problems during take-off. When landing, be patient there's no reason to be in a hurry.

On your props, just barely snug them and you may never break one if you follow this tip.

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice before flying the phantom.

Read the manual, then read it again, and then again (you can download it now).

Read this forum and watch youtube videos of crashes. Find out what went wrong and why it went wrong.

Learn the start up procedure. Learn about compass calibration. Make sure your RTH location is in fact safe!

If the day is calm enough trying flying the Hubsan outside. Inside flying and outdoors flying are very different in my opinion.

I put labels on everything on the phantom when I got it. My controller labels for the switches and what each position means, so in case of emergency and in case your mind goes blank its all there in front of you. I've also put labels on my bird in case I lose it and someone is kind enough to let me know they found it. I've also labelled my batteries 1, 2, 3 etc... to evenly rotate them.

Get yourself a good lanyard.

It doesn't hurt as well to have a checklist / procedure when you are taking your bird somewhere. Nothing worse than getting to your location to realise your micro sd card is sitting in your computer after you downloaded your last video / photos!

Lastly when using your mobile, make sure you turn off things like bluetooth. Less non necessary signals = better results. Also make sure the sound is ON. Vibrate only doesn't do anything to warn you when your battery is low.

Then have fun!

Holy cow so much info in so little time o_O
Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom ^_^

Would I attach the leg of the phantom & to... Me?

I got my Hubsan today & so many things to learn! But I've noticed my Hubsan keeps strafing to five o'clock direction. I calibrated but can't get it to hover in one place >_<
And if I get it higher than 3 feet, it kind of keeps going up o_O
So, these little things I need to figure out lol.

I love the idea of labeling. I was thinking about going to get one of those label printing gadget so it'll be neater ^_^

Please keep more hints & tips coming!
Thanks guys!

flyNfrank said:
When taking off with vPlus go full throttle the 1st 20ft and you will never have any problems during take-off. When landing, be patient there's no reason to be in a hurry.

On your props, just barely snug them and you may never break one if you follow this tip.

I have been reading on here since I ordered mine a few weeks ago. I had to ship it to the states first and then to Okinawa... they wouldn't ship it to a military base. I have been reading that many people say to take off quickly. I have also been watching a ton of videos, it seems as though half of the people take off slow and half of them gun it. From what I have read, people normally have tip overs when they need to calibrate their controller or if they are taking off on uneven ground. I have read that most people who take off full throttle say that prop wash is what causes the tip and taking off quickly keeps that from being an issue. Is this something that is split down the middle or does everyone just gun it on takeoff?

The quad is inherently unstable and the naza controller can't stabilise it until properly airborne.
If you take off slowly (or play around with nudging throttle on the ground) the front is lighter, and often starts to lift first.
Any hesitancy and it can topple - usually towards the battery.

The landing gear is not very wide especially on an uneven surface.
This is why you hear catch landing recommended a lot too - on all but perfect surfaces and well executed motor stop there's a high risk of it falling to one side and damaging props. (hold down left stick - don't do CSC)

If it's at all windy these issues are compounded.

4wd said:
The quad is inherently unstable and the naza controller can't stabilise it until properly airborne.
If you take off slowly (or play around with nudging throttle on the ground) the front is lighter, and often starts to lift first.

This is why you hear catch landing recommended a lot too - on all but perfect surfaces and well executed motor stop there's a high risk of it falling to one side and damaging props. (hold down left stick - don't do CSC)

Thanks man, mine gets here tomorrow and I don't want to start off by crashing it. Id rather wait until I've had it for a while.

4wd said:

Is there better after market landing gear? Or sticking with DJI one be better?

You could do your own mods making a sort of extended skid, needs to be light and will cause problems with cases unless you can could on and off in seconds.
It's not a big deal but something to be aware of, tipping over once or twice is almost inevitable and often as not no damage is caused - but with the V+ if it caught something and flipped I'd be fearful of damaging that gimbal!

Just Got my Vision+ 1 week ago, also having no flying experience, it took me a few days to get the nerve to get it in the air... in 2 days, I am flying very well and am very confident.... I did crash the very first flight, i took it up next to my house, the thing was drifting, and drifted right into the side of the house. Being so discouraged, I re-read calibration techniques and realized, I did not do it right. The next flight, I took it out, and it handled beautifully.... Just go thru your pre-flight checks, each and every time, and you'll love it.... :D :D :D :D :D

RCF - DRONE said:
I did crash the very first flight, i took it up next to my house, the thing was drifting, and drifted right into the side of the house.

I know you know this now, but the first flight should NEVER be in any kind of confined space such as your driveway or near any structures. Go to a large park or school yard somewhere for your first attempt. The bigger the better. Avoid other people, they are a major distraction. The sun should be behind you. Also altitude is your friend (within reason anyway). Read the manual once more. Insist on GREEN lights. Like any new GPS, first time out can take quite a while to get a solid lock. Subsequent startups will be much faster.

Onezerosix141 said:
For work, I need to learn how to fly quad

FYI, not that I agree with it, or would let it interfere with any of my objectives, but the FAA rules say that commercial operation of a UAS requires pilot certification and a other "official" training/documentation. If you are considering claiming your flight ops are commercial, you may want to be prepared to answer to the FCC if someone complains (or be ready to cease and desist).

Good luck,

slothead said:
Onezerosix141 said:
If you are considering claiming your flight ops are commercial, you may want to be prepared to answer to the FCC if someone complains (or be ready to cease and desist).

This public forum is also probably NOT a wise place to discuss your *work* reasons for flying your Phantom. Just saying'

DCGOO said:
slothead said:
Onezerosix141 said:
If you are considering claiming your flight ops are commercial, you may want to be prepared to answer to the FCC if someone complains (or be ready to cease and desist).

This public forum is also probably NOT a wise place to discuss your *work* reasons for flying your Phantom. Just saying'

My work is tech analysis, benchmarking, and consulting. I'm not planning to make money from these fun toys.
I do know what I can mention & what's hush hush ^_^

My project at this moment is not starting new business with these but... Yeah, it's hard to word it but I'm not trying to use these in that sort a way.

Day 2 of flying hubsan today. Now, I can hover better, and I'm hoping to be able to start flying around obstacles soon. It's so fun learning new stuff like this ^_^

I was a "soon to be owner" just a couple weeks ago. The day I placed the order with dji, I downloaded the manual from thier website and read it like 3 times along with a ton of YouTube videos and some forum articles. I had never flown one of these before and have done very well thanks to all the good tips and info I got while waiting for phantom to arrive. I suggest the same to anyone getting one of these. Sure it is easy to fly but it's also got a lot of features and options and things to be setup. So do your homework and prep work. You will be thankfull that you did. Enjoy your phantom

I was flying my little Hubsan outside & it seems My DJI got here day early ^_^

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405965765.626053.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405965765.626053.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 438
Onezerosix141 said:
I was flying my little Hubsan outside & it seems My DJI got here day early ^_^

Woo hoo. Congrats. My adivce: go to a park first. Remember to let go of the sticks if you are panicked. It will hover. Have a blast!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20