Soon to be new owner phantom 3 advanced

Also, there's a very rudimentary simulator built into DJI GO - but you have to have the aircraft powered on in order to use it. Spend 15 or 20 minutes in it until you're comfortable - good investment. Also, put the whole aircraft in the fridge for 30 minutes before your IMU calibration - this allows it to "warm up" as part of its preflight boot much faster. Greater minds than I came up with and tested that and it's definitely a good thing.

Other important stuff:

Calibrate the compass *every* time you fly
You have to stop recording in order to take a photo
Use www.uavforecast.com to see when good flying conditions may be
Don't fly low and slow over your neighborhood or people will think you're spying on them :) best to maintain a low profile whenever you can - less trouble all around.
Set a good RTH height before you take off
I'll think of more things I wish I knew when I got mine as I think of them...

GPS - you *do not* need it on the device you're using. Not having it simply means you can't use the "Follow me" feature, which is really not much more than a novelty anyway. If you absolutely need that, buy a $100 external GPS for your ipad. But no need. Bird's got all the GPS you could want built into it, and that's how it records the home point.
Actually DJI doesn't recommend calibrating the compass every time. Do it once and do it right then leave it be until or unless you get some indication that you need to do it again.
I use a spot in my cool basement that I have confirmed is level with a carpenters level. Don't need the bird to be 'cold' just 'cool'. And make sure to calibrate the gimbal too after the IMU calibration.
And like many others have said - Read the manuals! Get the idea that this is critically important? It is!

Hi Oso;

I just wanted to say thanks for this very valuable compilation of information. I believe it to be one of the single most complete list of excellent tips I've ever seen on the Phantom 3 and literally thousands of flyers will no doubt get great benefit from this compilation at some point.

I can't imagine how much time an effort you spent on this but you've provided a great service to those that will use it at some point. No doubt you've also saved a few owners from great added expense had they not read this at all.

I fly a P4Pro+ now and I found this post very helpful when I owned my Phantom 3 Professional.

Many thanks for all your work on this.

Bud

> The quick start guide that comes with your Phantom is very limited. Be sure to download the latest user manual from the "DOWNLOADS" link for your model. Read the manual several times before you fly, and then a few more times after you've flown for the first time when it will make a bit more sense to you. [P3P Downloads Page] [P3A Downloads Page]
>
Just because the app tells you that a FW update is available, that doesn't mean you must do the update. I strongly suggest that you check out and become comfortable with your P3 and what "normal" looks like before changing any FW on the RC (remote control) or the AC (aircraft). Batteries of course are okay to update to match the AC. [See my reasons here, but like most things it's YOUR decision]
(Important Note: if your P3 comes with 1.5 on the AC, you should move from that version).

> Also, search the forum for the many other "any tips?" threads for more great info.

Good luck!

August 15, 2016 EDIT - Consolidated a few of my "any tips" posts from the past so that I can link to this one the next time someone asks.

Reactions: Oso
Hi Oso;

I just wanted to say thanks for this very valuable compilation of information. I believe it to be one of the single most complete list of excellent tips I've ever seen on the Phantom 3 and literally thousands of flyers will no doubt get great benefit from this compilation at some point.

I can't imagine how much time an effort you spent on this but you've provided a great service to those that will use it at some point. No doubt you've also saved a few owners from great added expense had they not read this at all.

I fly a P4Pro+ now and I found this post very helpful when I owned my Phantom 3 Professional.

Many thanks for all your work on this.

Bud
Thank you sir for the kind words. Happy new year.

Reactions: Matchlock
Wow great thread, very helpful. This should be a sticky.

I got my P3A about 3 months ago and have been reading as many threads as possible, some good so not so, this one is great for new Phantom owners.

Reactions: Oso
> For those of you who are hobbyists (non-pro) in the US, when (if) you register with the FAA you are registering yourself and not each individual drone. Once registered, you simply use the same registration number with all of your drones.
FYI, It's no longer a requirement to register with the FAA or put registration numbers on your drone for hobbyists.

Last edited:
I still have my FAA regie......I wonder if you'll have to re-register.
As we know, registration in the US has not been required since ~May 2017 due to a court ruling. Voluntary registration is still encouraged for hobbyists (non-pro) in the US. When (if) you register with the FAA, you are registering yourself and not each individual drone. Once registered, you can use the same registration number with all of your drones if you choose to do so.

If you are already registered, canceling your registration is optional along with a refund of your $5 US if you choose to do so. I have chosen just to leave my registration in place since I expect registration will become a requirement again at some point.

Another thing I should mention is I have a galaxy s7 edge but I heard ios is better to use with the phantom. So I also ordered a iPad mini 2 which will be delivered before the drone.

I ordered a bundle deal as well. I got the iPad mini too. BUT....everytime i tried to update the firmware on the RC it would fail. One day I decided to see how well my S7 would work with it and it was great. I do prefer the larger screen, though. However, I seen the Firmware Update needed and clicked it on the S7 and it downloaded and installed the firmware. Something the iPad wouldn't do. You will have a blast. I've had mine for about three weeks. My best advice it to take it up above trees and highlines while learning the RC and the handling. It's very easy to fly. I've had a blast with mine. Get extra batteries. Battery time is 25 minutes and you're done. I've got two batteries and it isn't enough. I ordered another and will order more.

Hi all, I found a used P3A that had the lower shell replaced due to stress cracks. The seller told me that there is a small crack in one of the arms in the upper shell and that the upper shell does not affect flying. Is that true?

The seller told me that there is a small crack in one of the arms in the upper shell and that the upper shell does not affect flying. Is that true?
Where is the crack? Got a photo?

Good plan. You should know what you're getting into before you buy it.

I got the picture. There was a misunderstanding and eventually the crack is on the bottom shell that was replaced some time ago! The seller says that the crack was done in 1-2 flights after replacement.
What do you think? Is it fixable or the shell needs replacement again?

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 546

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20