Sometime, one actually has to jump in...

Interesting conclusion, PhantomKhan.

Reading the various threads which this forum considers important, I get the impression that the P3 quads and their firmware are somewhat unstable - and that I'll look at buying one in a year or more when - and if - things improve. Initially it worried me that the very day I took delivery of my P2, the P3 was launched.

But no longer am I worried. My P2 with self-installed FPV works beautifully and is in dedicated use for aerial photography. In addition, I say a very sincere thank you to all you beta testers who will be identifying and ironing out the issues on the P3.

And another thank you to those (they pop up here with great regularity) who remind me that flying over built-up areas are acts of gross stupidity. I am VERY impressed that folk are prepared to admit to this in such a public space.

I was toying with the idea of getting a quadcopter for aerial video for a long time...2 years, at least...

First, it was the "meh" cameras of the early Phantoms, than it was the "Wow! but very expensive" vibe from the Inspire 1 but now that DJI came up with this almost perfect balance between price and performance, I could no longer keep sitting on the fence.

So, I just pressed "buy" on a Phantom 3 + Extra battery + Extra pair of propellers + MC CASES dedicated backpack.

I am a very keen supporter of RTFM, so no worries there. There will be no "quick, let's get this thing in the air" rush, as far as I am concerned.

Being the first time I engage PhantomPilots with a dedicated purpose (...I participated earlier but on very shallow approaches...) the amount of information is daunting, as it always is in any hobby-dedicated forums.

I would be extremely grateful if you guys could help me with:

1. Pointing out common pitfalls for first time users of the Phantom 3
2. Direct me to threads here that you find crucial, regarding this model.

Thank you in advance.

PK

(PS: Don't think I am just idling asking you to do the work for me. I already marked these threads here and on the DJI forums:

http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...tom-3-4k-plus-inside-the-hood-pictures.38694/

http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...-is-a-brutal-nightmare-on-galaxy-tab-s.45947/

http://forum.dji.com/thread-20790-1-1.html )

There's a video on B&H website, produced by KelbyOne that's very good. It's for the P2V+, but a lot applies to the P3. I watched it several times, then prepared my bird with it step by step. It'll get you to reasonable flying expertise.

Here is the main major advice. Read the manual and when you have finished reading it, read it again and thisntime look and hear what you are reading. Then when you finish re- read it again and learn the calibrations, what the LED flashing lights mean. How to get GPS lock home lock and how to use course lock. Then go to you tube and lol at the videos on what you have learned somyoumcan get a picture in your mind. After all that then you may be ready to fly. Learn safety first and keep in your head that it's moving at 25 mph and if it drops for 200 ft what will it hurt damage or destroy. Including people. Now that you understand it's not a toy and how to and when to fly ENJOY ! Safety always first.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1