Something to check

Reaction score
Hey guys, I thought I'd mention a slight issue I had with my P2V. I actually bought mine from my Dad who flew it once and it landed in a tree, took a fall and seemingly didn't cause much damage as it landed in a large pile of leaves.

I noticed there was some rattling around in the chassis when I got it, initially I thought it was a gyroscope or something making the noise. Eventually one of my motors had some drag to it and I found a retaining ring stuck to the side of the motor. I removed it and noticed still a rattle. Long story short the retaining ring and washer on the bottom of the motor had come off.

Anyway, might not be a bad idea to check those every once in a while or especially if you hear any rattling.

It's a good call. There have been a few incidents reported where the spacer under the spring clip has flown around I the shell and caused either intermittent or terminal shorts. Although it involves opening the shell and unscrewing each motor in turn its not difficult just time consuming. Still if checking those clips are all tight saves me watching £800 plummet to the ground it's worth it!

I've added a check of the back of the motors to my preventative maintenance list here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5148

Good find. It is one of the things I check every time I have a blade strike. It's a simple check, grab the propeller and pull straight up. The scary part is you can fly with out the E-clip attach for a while, but there are some strong magnets on the motor housing, and the chances of the e-clip getting pulled into the motor are good. Hopefully it is while your Phantom is on the ground.

In your first post?
I do not see checking motor C-rings (or E-clip) and washers there.
What am I missing, please?

dcoski said:
Good find. It is one of the things I check every time I have a blade strike. It's a simple check, grab the propeller and pull straight up. The scary part is you can fly with out the E-clip attach for a while, but there are some strong magnets on the motor housing, and the chances of the e-clip getting pulled into the motor are good. Hopefully it is while your Phantom is on the ground.

If the E-clip is not attached... When you pull up on the prop what happens? Is there more vertical play than normal, or???

Thanks...
-slinger

gunslinger said:
dcoski said:

If the E-clip is not attached... When you pull up on the prop what happens? Is there more vertical play than normal, or???

Thanks...
-slinger

If the e-clip is not attached. You can pull the motor housing and propeller apart. It can be a little tug because of the magnets, but the the motor will come apart if the e-clip is not attached.

dcoski said:
gunslinger said:
dcoski said:

Thanks...
-slinger

If the e-clip is not attached. You can pull the motor housing and propeller apart. It can be a little tug because of the magnets, but the the motor will come apart if the e-clip is not attached.

....and does that result in a mess of crumbling disassembled parts inside your housing?

dcoski said:
No, it just means you have to reattach or replace the e-clip.

cool... thanks, sir...

-slinger

You bet, that what this forum is all about. We are all learning together. Be safe.

Size and thickness for the E-clip and washer, please,
to be able to get some spares?

How about sizes for the motor and housing screws, that use the 2mm Allen wrench?

Any other spares for things that could get lost in the grass?

garygid said:
In your first post?
I do not see checking motor C-rings (or E-clip) and washers there.
What am I missing, please?

Sorry, I've now edited it to make it clearer that the motor shaft pull test mentioned in the first section was to test for this. I've also added a specific item on the monthly check to take the motors off and have a look at the underside.

garygid said:
Size and thickness for the E-clip and washer, please,
to be able to get some spares?

How about sizes for the motor and housing screws, that use the 2mm Allen wrench?

Any other spares for things that could get lost in the grass?

Good question, when it happen to me I just went into auto store (NAPA) and got a couple that looked about the same. I am sure somebody knows.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31