Someone talk some sense into me.

Reaction score
Alright guys, so I'm a Phantom 1.1.1 owner for about a week now. So far I've only flew once, crashed once, and fried my DIY cable during my setup days (started with a Tarot T-2D, but I gave up on that gimbal). Plus I haven't flown lately because it's been pretty windy down in sunny Southern California.

Anyways, my ultimate goal is put a stabilized FPV system onto my Phantom. And I've just recently learned that it's REALLY easy to install an FPV on a Phantom 2 and I wished I should've known better.

So here is what it boiled down to.

Spent $450 on the V1.1.1 which came with an extra battery. There is this 3-axis gimbal (non-zenmuse) on eBay for sale for about $269. I have no DIY cable that is useable so it's either I get it repaired (who knows what it'll cost) or add a small battery to my Phantom that will power the gimbal which can cost somewhere to about $30 more for either. So getting that gimbal would put my total investment to around $750. For about $210 more I could get the Phantom 2 which would give me a longer flight time (speaking of flight times.. I'm pretty sure it'll be shorter on the P1 but I'd like some input regarding that though), easier setup, but very expensive batteries.

Anyways, someone convince me.. should I sell my Phantom 1 or keep it?

interesting quandary, I have both a 1 with a h3 and brushless gimball and a 2 with h3-2d. they have plusses and minuses to each and its kind of a wash for me. I would probably fix and equip what I already have.... but that's just me! :cool:

yes the new battery lasts twice as long but you could easily buy 4 V1 batteries for a single v2 battery cost.

this probably didn't help you much more than just saying "good luck with that" -sorry. :|

The p1 has a full naza v2 unlike the restricted p2 flight controller.
If you have the time, you can make the p1 do everything a p2 can (gimbal, long flight times...) without any of the downsides (no fly zones, expensive battery etc...)
Search for topics on "fitting p1 in a p2 shell" and "making can bus port on p1".

You mention a DIY cable several times but never really say what kind of cable you're talking about?

It takes quite a bit of work to get a P1 to the level of a P2's performance and efficiency; you can do it and surpass the P2 in most specs (I think my P1 qualifies here) but I'm pretty sure I put in more $$ than it would have cost to buy a P2 (please don't ask me, I don't want to add it up :)). But I had my P1 set up and running at this level months before the P2 was even announced, so I feel like I got my money's worth.

Nowadays, if you just want a platform that flies and does 3-axis stabilized video with good FPV, and little hassle or setup time, the P2 is the way to go. The batteries are expensive and proprietary, but the package is solid. If you're really into the DIY, the P1 is a fine route to take and there are plenty of people who can help you out with the modding, but it's going to take a lot more to get to the current baseline performance level of a P2.

spunrdneck said:
interesting quandary, I have both a 1 with a h3 and brushless gimball and a 2 with h3-2d. they have plusses and minuses to each and its kind of a wash for me. I would probably fix and equip what I already have.... but that's just me! :cool:

yes the new battery lasts twice as long but you could easily buy 4 V1 batteries for a single v2 battery cost.

this probably didn't help you much more than just saying "good luck with that" -sorry. :|

5 V1 batteries actually. :|

macheung said:
The p1 has a full naza v2 unlike the restricted p2 flight controller.
If you have the time, you can make the p1 do everything a p2 can (gimbal, long flight times...) without any of the downsides (no fly zones, expensive battery etc...)
Search for topics on "fitting p1 in a p2 shell" and "making can bus port on p1".

Very interesting point. But the problem is that I'm not a DIY person. I have no soldering skills at all and ever since I had that "accident" that fried my wire, I think I'll never play with wires again.

ElGuano said:
You mention a DIY cable several times but never really say what kind of cable you're talking about?

It takes quite a bit of work to get a P1 to the level of a P2's performance and efficiency; you can do it and surpass the P2 in most specs (I think my P1 qualifies here) but I'm pretty sure I put in more $$ than it would have cost to buy a P2 (please don't ask me, I don't want to add it up :)). But I had my P1 set up and running at this level months before the P2 was even announced, so I feel like I got my money's worth.

Nowadays, if you just want a platform that flies and does 3-axis stabilized video with good FPV, and little hassle or setup time, the P2 is the way to go. The batteries are expensive and proprietary, but the package is solid. If you're really into the DIY, the P1 is a fine route to take and there are plenty of people who can help you out with the modding, but it's going to take a lot more to get to the current baseline performance level of a P2.

I was pertaining to the black/red wire that sticks out of the V1.1.1 used to power the gimbal. I'm guessing the two wires touched somehow and I didn't notice before I put the batteries in, so my phantom went up in smoke and luckily only that only wire was severed which I simply just cut off completely to where it was soldered into to prevent further damage (I think). I did fly again after that incident and there seems to be no problems.

So pretty much I really don't want to be messing with wiring at this point. But indeed it really does give me a tummy ache how I'm investing a lot more money than I initially wanted to.

I'm actually having bi-polar thoughts about it.. for one hour I feel alright just mounting my bare GoPro onto it and set the video settings above 1080P and just let wrap stabilization on adobe do it's trick and for another hour I feel like I should sell everything I've ever owned to pay for the Phantom 2.

UrAwFuL said:
I was pertaining to the black/red wire that sticks out of the V1.1.1 used to power the gimbal. I'm guessing the two wires touched somehow and I didn't notice before I put the batteries in, so my phantom went up in smoke and luckily only that only wire was severed which I simply just cut off completely to where it was soldered into to prevent further damage (I think). I did fly again after that incident and there seems to be no problems.

So pretty much I really don't want to be messing with wiring at this point. But indeed it really does give me a tummy ache how I'm investing a lot more money than I initially wanted to.

I'm actually having bi-polar thoughts about it.. for one hour I feel alright just mounting my bare GoPro onto it and set the video settings above 1080P and just let wrap stabilization on adobe do it's trick and for another hour I feel like I should sell everything I've ever owned to pay for the Phantom 2.

OK, if you're not a DIYer, and don't want to get into the modding, I have a really hard time recommending the P1. The critiques of the P2 are very fair (expensive battery, locked NAZA that can't be moved to other multicopters, fewer firmware features than a standard Naza-M V2, latest version has no-fly geofencing around major airports) but I don't think most of these (other than the battery price) will affect you.

Get a P2 H3-3D, FPV hub, and AVL58 with receiver and monitor/goggles, and you're done; you'll be in the air for 15+ minutes a battery. If you want to get your 1.1.1 to that range, you'll be spending money on props, dual battery mods, a dremel, a better soldering iron, wiring, crimpers, servo housings, spare parts, etc. etc. I love that stuff, but it sounds like you want to skip it and go flying :)

AE's not magical, at least not in the way a 3-axis brushless gimbal is. if you mount a bare GoPro and rely on warp, you're probably not going to be totally pleased with the result.

ElGuano said:
OK, if you're not a DIYer, and don't want to get into the modding, I have a really hard time recommending the P1. The critiques of the P2 are very fair (expensive battery, locked NAZA that can't be moved to other multicopters, fewer firmware features than a standard Naza-M V2, latest version has no-fly geofencing around major airports) but I don't think most of these (other than the battery price) will affect you.

Get a P2 H3-3D, FPV hub, and AVL58 with receiver and monitor/goggles, and you're done; you'll be in the air for 15+ minutes a battery. If you want to get your 1.1.1 to that range, you'll be spending money on props, dual battery mods, a dremel, a better soldering iron, wiring, crimpers, servo housings, spare parts, etc. etc. I love that stuff, but it sounds like you want to skip it and go flying :)

AE's not magical, at least not in the way a 3-axis brushless gimbal is. if you mount a bare GoPro and rely on warp, you're probably not going to be totally pleased with the result.

Hmm.. I get your point. Right now I've found a craigslist ad posted a few hours ago which comes a spare battery and a bit short ranged FPV kit that I could probably easily swap out. Only downside with this listing is that it doesn't have a gimbal. Should I go for this guy?

[edit: took out price and link just in case someone wants to compete with me]

UrAwFuL said:
Hmm.. I get your point. Right now I've found a craigslist ad posted a few hours ago which comes a spare battery and a bit short ranged FPV kit that I could probably easily swap out. Only downside with this listing is that it doesn't have a gimbal. Should I go for this guy?

That's your call. Most dedicated FPV folks fly unstabilized (the gimbal removes roll and some say video-out from the Gopro is a few milliseconds delayed compared to a discrete FPV). Spare batteries for a P1 are cheap, $10-20 so I don't think that should impact your decision much. The real questions you have to answer is 1) are you happy with 9-11 minute flights, and 2) do you want stabilized footage from a gimbal?

Again, that's for you to decide.

ElGuano said:
UrAwFuL said:

That's your call. Most dedicated FPV folks fly unstabilized (the gimbal removes roll and some say video-out from the Gopro is a few milliseconds delayed compared to a discrete FPV). Spare batteries for a P1 are cheap, $10-20 so I don't think that should impact your decision much. The real questions you have to answer is 1) are you happy with 9-11 minute flights, and 2) do you want stabilized footage from a gimbal?

Again, that's for you to decide.

Whoops, forgot to mention its a P2. For the questions.. 9-11 minutes seems OK though the longer the better.. plus knowing myself I would probably end up wishing I had more time. I also am interested on stable footage. Hmm.. well I'm kinda bummed, haha. I'm waiting a reply on the seller, hopefully he can give me a good price and hopefully nobody else wants it as badly as I do.

From what I am reading, just sell whatever you have right now and get a P2 Vision +.

That version is designed for people like you who are not a DIY.

Simple and plug and play.

Yeah 1.1.1 takes more work than just getting a P2 with Zenmuse.

I wouldn't get a PV2 or PV2+ as I feel it's too restrictive. With 1.1.1 or a P2 you can choose more.

I'm happy with my 1.1.1 as I mainly just want to FPV and have no gimbal for my GoPro. But if my main aim was to make great videos, then I'd have started with a P2 with Zenmuse, because it's cheaper than adding everything yourself to a 1.1.1 and has better possibilities to add and change than the Vision.

DanCH said:
Yeah 1.1.1 takes more work than just getting a P2 with Zenmuse.

I wouldn't get a PV2 or PV2+ as I feel it's too restrictive. With 1.1.1 or a P2 you can choose more.

I'm happy with my 1.1.1 as I mainly just want to FPV and have no gimbal for my GoPro. But if my main aim was to make great videos, then I'd have started with a P2 with Zenmuse, because it's cheaper than adding everything yourself to a 1.1.1 and has better possibilities to add and change than the Vision.

Yep. I already have a GoPro 3+ Black and that's the reason why I chose the Phantoms without the built-in cameras is because I can always "upgrade" cameras in the long run.

I'm actually OK with opening up my Phantom.. it's just that I sort of refuse to do anymore soldering to any of my wires ever again. If its simple plug-and-done, that's all I can pretty much handle, haha.

I went from P2z2... to almost wanting a P2z3. I looked at what I used it for and decided wow... let me dump my P2z2 and free up my Hero3+ Black and just get a P2V+.

I spent so much fine tuning the P2z2 for what? I'm not a professional photographer an the nice thing about the P2V+ is it's good enough... takes great 1080p video and on the fly , 14mp stills. I'd be sacrificing resolution higher than 1080p and frame rate of greater than 30 on it's top resolution. I really like the ideal of real time selecting video/still and recording/triggering shutter remotely.

I use my gopro a lot not on aerial so i'll probably buy the new hero 4 if it comes out and just leave the 3+ on the P2 forever. I plan on building m own quad or tri-copter at half the price I spent on my P2 now. It's going to be 3/4 the size of a phantom and be more portable and be FPV probably using my GoPro and better performing parts. My P2Z2 is in a hard case and it's a huge carry-on (I take it around the world with me for some great vacation shots/video) Right now it's a matter of finance and I can't afford it. That went quick because I bought my P2z2 in February.

If I had to do it all over again I would find a dealer/hobby shop... do some research and have someone teach me to fly and teach me/guide me or even build for me an aerial drone to my specs.

In your case since you learned how to fly on the Phantom 1... don't invest and do some research. I'm not knocking the DJI... the Phantom is aimed at the Consumer market... Not necessarily the "hobby" market. If you think you are crossing over to more of a hobby... well then keep the P1 to mess around with. Build your own custom drone. Even DJI acknowledges the market for Phantoms. DJI.com has Phantoms under the "everyone" tab and a section for hobbyists under "experts".

I think eventually sell my P2 and I would lose a lot of money because i spent so much fine tuning it ... trial and error... Or i'll sell all the parts and use it to learn how to fly manual mode.

ChristianGeek said:
BTW, shoot stabilized video but don't try to fly with stabilized FPV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep. My next quad probably won't have a gimbal. I'd get good enough footage most of the time anyhow. I'll just use some post processing to help stabilize.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj