Some weird things are going on with this thing.

Reaction score
When I first bought the P3A, I took it out on its maiden flight. When I started the app, I would get a message stating that the IMU was warming up. This would go on for 5-10 minutes until I force closed the app and went back into it and it went away. I calibrated the IMU from a cold state and that sort of went away.

After I calibrated the IMU, the next time I took it out, the lights on the P3A were blinking normal but the app told me I needed to calibrate the IMU. I forced closed the app and went back into it and it went away.

The next time I took it out, when I started the app, it told me it couldn't find any satellites so it wanted to fly in attitude mode. I force closed the app and went back into it and all was fine.

This time I decided to delete the app and reinstall it. Hoping that this would resolve it.

The next time I tried to take it out was today. All the lights on the phantom were blinking normal colors. Etc.. This time I was getting a connection error message. I then powered off everything and powered it back on. Still got the same message even after the phantom went through its test etc.. And it was in a ready state. Finally after fiddling with it for about 10 minutes the thing finally connected only to get a gimbal error. So I forced closed the app and then went back in and all was fine.

I am running IOS by the way. Same problem occurs whether it's my iPad or iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rarely have to say this.....but I believe the best option is to send it to dji for warranty repair.

After calibrating the IMU after being in a cold environment, what kind of numbers are now displaying in the Sensor section? Referring to the X-Y-Z-Mod display from the Gyroscope, Acceleration, and Compass.

It's possible we might be able to figure some of this out without the need to box it up.

I rarely have to say this.....but I believe the best option is to send it to dji for warranty repair.

After calibrating the IMU after being in a cold environment, what kind of numbers are now displaying in the Sensor section? Referring to the X-Y-Z-Mod display from the Gyroscope, Acceleration, and Compass.

It's possible we might be able to figure some of this out without the need to box it up.

I've only had the product for about 2 1/2 weeks so I can always exchange it. The mod values under the sensors jump between 1400-1600.

Calibrate the imu according to dji instructions.

I get consistant result by starting up in the following order.
Your experience may be different. But it is worth a try.

1) Tablet is on but go app not loaded but it is connected to control thru to usb.
2) Turn on remote. Start Go App.But do not select bird.
3) Turn on bird.

Watch go app. It should switch to the correct bird. Proceed as normal.

Calibrate the imu according to dji instructions.

I get consistant result by starting up in the following order.
Your experience may be different. But it is worth a try.

1) Tablet is on but go app not loaded but it is connected to control thru to usb.
2) Turn on remote. Start Go App.But do not select bird.
3) Turn on bird.

Watch go app. It should switch to the correct bird. Proceed as normal.

Thanks for the info. I did a cold IMU calibration. The first time I picked a cold night and left it outside for 30 minutes. Fired it up according to the directions and it stayed on 10% calibration for an hour. Force closed the app and went it and ran the IMU calibration and it calibrated in less than 4 minutes.

Took it outside and left it out there for 20 minutes. Ran the calibration that time and it took less than 3 minutes and was successful.

The power on sequence is always the same as you listed above. It gets frustrating sometimes because I know when I power it on there will be some problem with it.

The first value should be about Zero, second one about One, third on about 1500.
If it's wrong it will typically be way outside these values.
I don't think you will see a problem though, it does sound like something else in the hardware is glitching and it will probably only get worse.
You could try a different USB cable, different SD card and delete/re-install the app.

It's a pain but if doing those basic things they will suggest anyway doesn't help, a warranty replacement will be best.
If through a local(ish) dealer they are usually very helpful.

It's important to do the IMU initially - ideally cold as you were aware to minimise the warming up time.
But after that it should normally go for weeks with no need to do again unless there was some incident like a tip over and you wanted to be sure all was well.
It is much better to regularly check the values manually rather than doing IMU and Compass routinely, unless it says you should.

Where does DJI say do cold calibration? I know people are doing. But I have never seen it from DJI.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The first value should be about Zero, second one about One, third on about 1500.
If it's wrong it will typically be way outside these values.
I don't think you will see a problem though, it does sound like something else in the hardware is glitching and it will probably only get worse.
You could try a different USB cable, different SD card and delete/re-install the app.

It's a pain but if doing those basic things they will suggest anyway doesn't help, a warranty replacement will be best.
If through a local(ish) dealer they are usually very helpful.

It's important to do the IMU initially - ideally cold as you were aware to minimise the warming up time.
But after that it should normally go for weeks with no need to do again unless there was some incident like a tip over and you wanted to be sure all was well.
It is much better to regularly check the values manually rather than doing IMU and Compass routinely, unless it says you should.

I'll have to check out the values. The thing flies find and doesn't seem to behave erratically. I did have an episode recently where it was flying and shifting between Attitude mode and GPS mode. Didn't seem to bother it too much.

The calibration error I got was right after I had a successfully IMU cold calibration. So I turned the device off and the controller and then 5 minutes later powered it back on. Had to wind up closing out the app and restarting it.

I have tried to uninstall the app and reinstall it. The cable is a brand new cable from Apple. I have also replaced the cable as well thinking it might be that.

I bought it from Best Buy. So I have 45 days to return the unit. So I don't think exchanging it would be an issue.

I'll have to check out the values. The thing flies find and doesn't seem to behave erratically. I did have an episode recently where it was flying and shifting between Attitude mode and GPS mode. Didn't seem to bother it too much.

The calibration error I got was right after I had a successfully IMU cold calibration. So I turned the device off and the controller and then 5 minutes later powered it back on. Had to wind up closing out the app and restarting it.

I have tried to uninstall the app and reinstall it. The cable is a brand new cable from Apple. I have also replaced the cable as well thinking it might be that.

I bought it from Best Buy. So I have 45 days to return the unit. So I don't think exchanging it would be an issue.

I would exchange it, you don't want to be facing issues every time you use it and you certainly don't want an IMU issue mid flight. You're just unlucky, the next one will be fine I'm sure.

Where does DJI say do cold calibration? I know people are doing. But I have never seen it from DJI.
If you do it when warm, the internal temperature needs to get to a similar value before it can start every time (you'll see the warming up message).
If you do the calibration when it's cold this waiting period at subsequent start-ups will practically disappear.

So today I decided to fly my phantom after a tree ate my airplane. Wasn't having the best luck with RC equipment today.

At any rate, I went through the usual start up process and no weird occurrences. The DJI flew like it should.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic